It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

softone HB User
Some Advice Please.

Hi, I am new to these boards but wonder if anyone could offer any advice. I have suffered from low back pain for twenty years but over the last six months I have developed some really weird symptoms.

I feel as if I have a tight band around my right instep and ankle, sometimes this is so bad that I cannot put my foot to the ground. A shooting pain from my low back through my right hip to ankle and pins and needles in both legs. When I am sitting down I feel as though the bone in my buttocks is actually touching the chair and this is very painful. The back pain is not too bad at the moment but is always there as a dull ache.

The problem that I have is that I have M.E. but I know these symptoms well and feel that these new ones are related to my back.

I have bladder problems. I had extensive tests as I cannot 'feel' my bladder and often have problems just trying to go. When I asked the urologist what was the cause he said GOK (God only knows) but that there was a possibility that I would have to self catheterise. In fairness to him I did not mention the back pain.

Does anyone have similar symptoms and offer any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 01-18-2005, 01:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User
Re: Some Advice Please.

Softone,

I had the same symptoms. Here's my advise, for what it is worth. The problems are all coming from your back. You need to get a MRI from your primary care doctor. Then when he sees the results, that I am guessing will show lumbar disc problems, then get to a neurosurgeon.

I had all the same problems. In my case, I had three herniated discs. L3-4 caused the bladder sensation/control problem. This is caused by the nerves from L3-4 being pinched/compressed. Eventually, if not threated, the nerve will die and you will have no control over your bladder.

The back pain/ache was L4-5 disc failure. The nerves from L4-5 are again pinched or compressed. This ache will eventually become constant pain.

The hip/leg/foot pain is L4-5, and L5-S1. The sciatic nerve, the main nerve root going down your leg is being aggrivated. I was treated for thelve years for this pain with epidural injections. Now, I no longer have feeling in my rt foot, and the reflex in the ankle does not respond.

After twelve plus years of pain, I am pain free. I flew to Vienna, Austria and had three Artificial Disc Replacements implanted at L3-4,L4-5, and L5-S1. The results are outstanding. I am twelve week post op, and pain free. I am back in the gym, and have full range of motion. I recommend the Prodisc over a fusion if possible.

Softone, please don't wait. This problem is only going to get worse. Act now, and if possible stay off oxicontin. You just be masking the problem, and become a junky too.

Please let me know how you make out. Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #3
(female)

softone HB User

Hi Newbackguy,

Thank you for responding to my post. I have been bawling like a two year old since the early hours as it feels as if my symptoms are getting worse on a daily basis, although this is possibly due to stress.

It is such a relief when someone says that they know what you mean - not that I would wish this on anyone.

I know that I do not have any reflexes in my feet. This was pointed out to me by the doctor who carried out my DLA medical seven years ago and also a young trainee G.P who visited me in my home. My own doctor dismissed this.

Unfortunately when you have a chronic illness like M.E. all symptoms are put down to this but I know in my gut that these problems are related to my spine.

I have never heard of oxicontin, at present I am taking dyhdrocodeine but they are hardly touching the pain.

I have now decided that if my doctor takes no notice of me then I will present at A&E as an emergency.

I am pleased that you are improving and wish you well for the future.

Thanks again.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

Softone,

You deserve to know what is the cause. I am glad that I could help. Please, bug your Dr. to get an MRI. You don't need a permanant bladder issue on top of the rest.

I wish you well, and please keep me posted.

Closed Thread