It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
(female)

Tifferzz HB User
Uh Ohhh, I Am Going Numb

Uh oh ...I am going numb. This has never happened before! I have a disc herniation at L5-S1 that is pinching my nerve root. I have been having pain since the first week of December. Went to the Neurosurgeon and all that. Called yesterday to go ahead and schedule the surgery. The lady that does it all is out sick. She's supposed to call me and set everything up when she gets back in.

Now, the weird thing ... today I was showering and noticed that a place down on my butt was numb (left side) then I am continuing to wash (sorry, don't mean to be graphic) but then I noticed some numbness on the back side of my thigh (right under my butt). This was about 3 hours ago. Now, my whole lower side of my butt is all tingly and numb feeling and more of the back side of my thigh is too. Then I just went to the bathroom (number one LOL) and it's feeling numb there too when I wiped. Again sorry I don't mean to be graphic just seeing if this is normal right now?? I just called the Neuro. the doctor is in surgery so she said she will have his asst. call me back as soon as he can.

Is this normal what is happening?? I mean normal in my circumstance. I know a lot of you have already had back surgery. I haven't yet ..... so I wanted to come here to see if any of you experienced any of this before surgey?? HELP ME PLEASE, I am sitting here freaking out waiting fot the asst. to call me back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
(male)

tracer HB User
Re: Uh Ohhh, I Am Going Numb

no worries my leg went numb after 2 months and stayed that way til after surgery after surgery every thing that was numb hurt like ###### but it stoped hurting and my leg is good now wish i could say the same for my back but no worries with the numb tingles down the buttocks and back of leg, mine made it to my pinky toe .

Old 01-18-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

I am so glad you called your doctor, yes sometimes it does all the sudden happen that way. It would be emergent though if it starts to interfere with going to the restroom , then that is a situation where you need to take yourself to the nearest ER. Otherwise stay calm and wait for your doctors office to call. Keep us posted
shelley

Old 01-18-2005, 10:26 AM   #4
(female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thank you tracer and shelley!!! The neuro's asst. just called me back. He said that yes it was all normal with the problem I am having. He said if I was to lose my bladder funtion or if I were to get the "foot drop" then that is emergency surgery. Ugghh, so wow ... I will more than likely stay numb like this till after surgey? I wonder if it is going to work it's way down to my feet too I really don't want to have the surgery till March. I wonder if I can hold out that long. When your whole leg when numb down to your toe ... could you still walk? The asst. said that they girl was back in the office today so he said he was going to give her my chart and have her call me to set up the surgery. Ugghhh this really stinks!! I wonder if I can still get the Epidural Steriod Injection now that this is happening?? I am taking oral steriods right now. I have 4 more days of those. I am glad you all are here and can relate!! It really helps!! Thanks a bunch everyone!!

Old 01-18-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
(male)

tracer HB User

ya i walked still had a limp that got worse the longer i walked but i still got around jus fine. after the inatial fear the numbness was better than the leg pain.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

I could actually walk better with it numb You should be able to still get the injection , I should know I have had more than the average bear
What kind of surgery are you having? is it a fusion or lami/discectomy? Just make sure to let them know if the other symptoms occur otherwise..... Take it easy and be careful
shelley

Old 01-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I had large patches of numbness until my fusion- now they're all gone. They were there for a while though. You get used to it after they're there for a while- sometimes you don't even notice it. Now that I'm not numb anymore, I'm noticing THAT- I have to get used to actually being able to feel certain parts of my leg and foot again!

Old 01-18-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
(female)

Tifferzz HB User

Thanks again tracer and shelley!! Heck yeah ... I was really scared today when I started going numb. I thought that it meant that I was getting that thing where I would lose control of my bladder and stuff. I was scared crapless!!!!! Then the asst. called back and said it was normal under my circumstances and you all said it was normal too so I was like shewwwww, that took a load off LOL. As long as I can still walk with the numbness I think I can deal with it. You said you could tracer so hopefully I will still be able to also. And you are right tracer, I think I like the numbness over tha pain. Only bad thing is ... I feel the pain now lower in the back of my thigh, towards my knee but up a little bit more. Then above that it's all numb and tingly. I am just hoping that this isn't going to damage my nerve I guess I will find out after surgery.

shelley, the Neuro. wants to do a L5-S1 Hemilaminectomy Microdiscectomy on me. I'll definitely let them know if something changes from now till my surgery date. Then figures, I was waiting for the girl from the office to call me back to schedule the surgery. It was 4:00 PM and she still hadn't called so hubby drove me to the grocery store and helped me cause I was too scared to drive with this numbness LOL. Then we got home and there was a message from her. So, I guess I will be calling her back in the morning. So shelley ... you have had the steriod injetions? Does it hurt when they do it? I guess it wouldn't take my numbness away huh? If not, then I probably won't even bother to get it.

I still can't get over this .. this numbness still freaks me out!!

Thank you all again!!!! Have a good rest of the evening.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Most docs give some sedation during the injection itself and it usually takes only 10 minutes to actually do it. My last injections were without any med, my choice because it was not scheduled and I wanted to do it then instead of waiting, hoping that I would get some relief. The numbness probably will not change unless the injection shrinks some of the inflammation and releases a bit of the nerve that is obviously so compressed. It may or may not help with the pain to atleast temporarily, I did not get any relief but some people do. It might be worth a shot. I had a fusion in june and 2 lami's done last wednesday. I am going to try to go to work tomorrow, that ought to be interesting LOL!!!!! Try to sleep on the unaffected side with a pillow between your knees that should help some.

shelley

Old 01-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #10

vickic HB User

About 10 days before my surgery, my right butt cheek and the right side of my leg from the knee down went numb. I also had a tingly feeling in parts of my foot. I was scared at first, but then found out that it was very common. Once I got used to the numbness, I actually found it a little easier to get around because almost all of my crippling pain had been replaced by numbness. I couldn't feel the pain. Good luck.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
(female)

Tifferzz HB User

Cool, thanks shelley I think I will give the shot a try after I am done with my oral steriods.

What are "lami's"? I hope it wasn't some kind of surgery? If so, definitely be careful if you go to work tomorrow!

Yeah, maybe I can get some sleep tonight since I am numb LOL. I'll try to pillow again between my knees tonight, THANKS! I am off to bed now, night night everyone and thanks again shelley

sorry, I had to use thingy a few times, he's pretty cool LOL

Old 01-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
(female)

Tifferzz HB User

Ooops, I just posted my reply then saw yours vickic. I didn't want to go to bed without saying thank you for your reply. Yes, I feel much better now knowing that this is common. If you all would have seen me today... home all by myself .... freaking out while waiting to hear back from the docs. office, I don't think it was a good thing LOL. So, I am guessing ... before this all got numb ... I had pain in these areas .... so I am taking it that the nerve was being pinched then cause that is why I had the pain. So now that is numb, what does that mean? Does that mean that it is being pinched even more now than it was before?

K, now I am off to bed to try to sleep tonight. I will check for replies in the morning, see ya's!

Closed Thread