It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

cincigirl HB User
Question anterior/posterior fusion Please help...

Hi, I'm new to this site, and glad I found it. I recently went to a Neurosurgeon and had a 2nd opinion consult with an ortho surgeon and both came upwith the same conclusion....surgery.
I'm scared, nervous, worried....all the usual I suppose. I'm only 31, I have 2 boys 10, and 15 months.
Its for L5-S1, anterior/posterior, cages, screws and rods. I guess I am not a candidate for disc replacement. How long is the hospital stay and how long till you are able to do anything at home? I here 6 weeks for the home thing, but is that true, its really 6 weeks before you can do anything?
I have fought pain in my lower back since I was about 13, but triggered serious pain at work back in 97, and reinjured it again in 99. Now trying to carry the baby around and etc, is rough.
What can I expect, how long is the surgery etc? Anyone out there had a good success with this surgery?
THanks!!

Last edited by cincigirl; 01-18-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: no responses

Old 01-18-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: anterior/posterior fusion

Hi Cincigirl.. glad you found us!

Be sure to check the archives for fusions. There's a wealth of information here.

I'm 18 weeks post-op. I was suppose to have an anterior/posterior (or what is also known as a 360) but I ended up only having it done posterior.

I was in the hospital longer than most because of dural tears. I had to stay completely flat for 5 days so I was in the hospital for 7. I think the typical stay is 3-5 days.

The first week home you'll barely remember. Between the anesthesia wearing off, the morphine wearing off, the drugs you're on, and the fact that you feel like you've been gored, you'll forget that whole first week. By week 2 you're moving a little better and feeling a bit more human. I think when people say 6 weeks, they really mean it's 6 weeks before you feel like going back to your old routine, or start enjoying the usual things again.

I was out and about to Target by 3 weeks. Went to dinner etc. Seems like the more I tried, the easier each time got.

Feel free to ask questions... that's what we're here for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Welcome to the boards, and good luck with your surgery! TxHunni is right, you'll find a ton of info on fusion if you do a search. Mel is someone you might want to talk to and read her posts also- she just had almost the same surgery you are going to have.

I just had a 360 fusion (like TxHunni, posterior only) 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing great. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and my surgery lasted about 6 1/2 hours. I had two levels done though, and you said yours is a one-level. I don't remember much about the hospital stay (lots of drugs), but I'm off of almost all painkillers now.

Lots of luck with your surgery, and we're here if you have questions!

Jessie

Old 01-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

If it was posterior only, it wasn't 360. 360 means literally flipping you 360 degrees and going in from both sides. You'll have an incision in the front along the abdomen, and then one on the back as well.

Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

They fused front and back of my spine using only a posterior incision...my doc called it a TLIF. Sorry if I was incorrect and confused anyone!

Old 01-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well, I am 27 and am going on five weeks post op from a anterior/posterior interbody fusion of L4-5 and L5S1.
LEt's see......I stayed in the hospital for six days. By day six, I was walking without my walker and got myself dressed and even washed myself up. I am a bit determined though, and don't know if this is normal. I had my husband to help me the first day home, but was alone after that. I did pretty darn good. I had a set back around ten days after from inflammation, which seems normal around here. Now, I drive, shower myself, shaved myself for the first time yesterday (my LEGS and it was odd....), I am shopping for hours by myself too. NOW, I won't lie, I do have pain still, but not enough to keep me in bed all the time. I do push through the pain some days, I will be tired, hurting, cranky but up and moving still. OTher days, I just want to stay in bed. We all have our good and bad days. WE all heal different. Our bodies react differently from surgery too.
On day three at the hosp, my abdominal and back incisons were dry and no longer draining. My staples came out two days after I left the hospital. I still have some muscle pain, my abdomen hurts sometimes, it is uncomfortable to pee. My ab incision is still numb, but getting more feeling back. I cleaned today (no tubs or vacuum), did laundry (no baskets, just lifting only what clothes I can carry). I have a brace, though I find it hurts more now if I wear it than when I don't. SO, I usually don't wear it when I am up moving about the apt unless cleaning. I of course wear it aats when I leave. I had my well woman exam today, and my primary said I was def doing well if I could have that. I feel good. I do get depressed, I hate my brace and I am bored.
I had my surgery Dec 15, and was shopping at the mall Dec 26. I probably shouldn't have. that was a bit much, but I needed it so bad. I was even pulling off jeans. Now, I don't want to wear them, they kinda rub on my abdominal incision. On Saturday, hubby and I went to dinner and I wore a black skirt with kitten heels. I actually did okay, though you won't see me in them soon I went out to dinner the first night home, and barely made it through.
Well, I don't know if it helped or not, but hope so. I see my dr for the first time since two days after discharge, so we'll see how I am doing....

Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #7
(female)

BobiM HB User

[QUOTE=Jessie1].

I just had a 360 fusion (like TxHunni, posterior only) 2 weeks ago, and I'm doing great. I was in the hospital for 4 days, and my surgery lasted about 6 1/2 hours. I had two levels done though, and you said yours is a one-level. I don't remember much about the hospital stay (lots of drugs), but I'm off of almost all painkillers now.

Lots of luck with your surgery, and we're here if you have questions!

Jessie[/QUOTE]

Did you have a bone harvest?

Old 01-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

No, they were able to use donor bone and BMP, which I am very grateful for. I got my first post-op xrays done yesterday, and everything looks great!

Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I think your biggest hurdle will be taking care of your little one.
You cannot lift for quite awhile. Do you have someone who can help out. Just picking him up can ruin the whole thing.
Good luck
I had a posterior/anterior 2 level with my own donor bone and am still not allowed to lift over ten pounds.
Lisa

Old 01-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #10
(female)

cincigirl HB User

Ok, thanks so much for all of you who have responded. COuple more questions, my Chiro says I should stick with the Neurosurgeon to do my surgery, but I also had a consult with a orthopedic surgeon. Any advice? I heard Neuro's are more respective of soft tissue, and I would be happy I chose him in the long run, less scar tissue etc.
Also, do they give you pain meds to come home with?
Yes, I do have someone to come and help for 6 weeks with the kids, I figured that would be my hardest thing.
Yes, its one level as of right now, I have sponalolythesis and disc degeneration and l5-s1 disc displacement, with a really high angle I guess, whatever that means.
Basically to me it means, I cry alot and it hurts alot.
Any other help/ advice is welcome!!!!!
Thanks!
Cincigirl

Old 01-20-2005, 01:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Does either one have a spine fellowship? That's the one to go with.
fly

Old 01-20-2005, 02:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I say go with which ever Doc YOU like and feel comfortable with. I just had mine with a NS and liked him a whole lot. The first one I saw was ortho, and maybe if he hadn't been a A#####E, I would have gone with him. You will have a script for pain meds that will need to be filled. They will not let you leave with meds in hand-but, you sure can get meds before you leave (take them orally) to hold you over.

Old 01-20-2005, 02:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

In my own opinion, I feel the neuros just patch things up and the orthos actually do a bit more extensive work. This has been my own experience with them though.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

MY Turn
Three previous surgeries by neuro's and now the ortho who specializes in spines stuff is trying his best to fix me from the past years of whatevers
I also have 3 kids and at the time of my infamous "360" they were 9 months, 4 and 12. The hospital stay was 4 days due to the fever cuz the staff was too busy to let me get out of bed But things got better after coming home. It is def. hard with little ones. Now I just had another surgery last week 2 laminectomies and now that the baby is 17 months it is easier because he can climb in his chair and on the couch and is not needing to be held as much. I had my mom stay with me the first week. But on my own after that. My hubby goes to work around 3 in the a.m.. No lifting and then after 6 weeks I got the o.k to carefully hold the baby who was around 20 lbs. I did break that rule way before hand and prehaps is why i am now having so many problems. You will be fine as long as you do not break the lifting rule. I really think that contributed to some of the problems I am having now. I hope things go well with you. Pick the Doctor who you feel most comfortable with, gut instinct usually proves to be correct.
Post any questions that you may have.
Good Luck
shelley

Old 01-20-2005, 04:46 PM   #15
(female)

cincigirl HB User

Thanks, my mom and mom-n-law are taking turns staying for the first 6 weeks. I like the ortho guy better, but think the neuro guy may be a better idea...best in Cincinnati...anyway..my little one is 16 months and 36lbs!!!! so i know i won't be lifting him. I will try not to break the rule, I know that will be the hardest.
But you think after 3 weeks I should be good to go?

Closed Thread