It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
(male)

rachelmc HB User
Question Anyone Here from Australia???? need help on workers comp

Hi all havnt been here for ages, been trying to sort all this mess out (havnt succeeded).
I was wondering if anyone on this board is from Australia as i would really like some advice on payouts ( like what figure is acceptable for what injury).
I have just recieved a report from an independant doc who in his opinion says that i will never return to work and things will never improve.
I then rang solicitor but he is on annual leave and spoke to his partner we spoke about lump sum payouts and she said probably somewhere between $15,000 and $20,000 while i know that sounds like a lot of money that isnt even 2 years pay.
Maybe a bit of history would help Sorry ,
I hurt myself at work in 2002, scine then i have had a postlateral fusion and pedicle screw fixation at the L4/5 level as well as L4/5 anterior disc clearance and interbody fusion with cage fixation. This was done in May 03.
I have had nothing but problems from then on i have now lost feeling in my left leg to the extent that i fall,loss of feeling in my bum, occasionally in the nether regions ( just what you need), sometimes it feels as though i have a slow leak (sorry to be gross).
Anway sorry to carry on hopefully someone can help.
Thanks Rachel.
Ps if anyone has any ideas on how to deal with my new symptons or problems i would be grateful

Old 01-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User
Re: Anyone Here from Australia???? need help on workers comp

H i Rach

Im from australia - melb eastern suburbs actually. I would consult another solicitor. The figures u r quoting seem a little low to me given that they are saying you r permanently disabled, or will not improve. R they able to offer u an alternate employment option or is there no chance at all of u returning to the old workplace. The otehr thing u dont discuss is whether the injury stemmed from a poor or unsafe work place. This would influence the outcome. There are some solicitors that will give free advice in relation to work place injuries so dont settle for what your solicitor is saing until u have explored the views of others solicitors

good luck

losy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
(male)

rachelmc HB User

hi losy,
thanks for replying so quick i dont think my workplace was unsafe just a very phyisical one (packing shelves in supermarket drink aisle)
There is no way i can return to work there or anyother work place the doctors words were:
Unfortunatly, she will be unfit to return to pe-injury duties as a night packer in the long term. She is unfit to be gainfully employed in any capacity due to ongoing lumber spinal disability.
Does that mean pemanatly disabled???.
thanks again Rachel

Old 01-18-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

It would sound like it to me (Per. Disabled). If he is saying you are unable to be employed in any capacity you need to know what that means and what the implications are for you. R u single, do you have any other income etc - what benefits are you entitled to. Did you have superanuation and if so was their a disability component attached to it. U need to het more than 1 opinion re what this all means

where in aust r u from

losy

Old 01-20-2005, 02:26 AM   #5
(male)

rachelmc HB User

hi again losy,
im married with 3 kids and im from country nsw about 1 1/2 hrs from vic border .
i am insured through super but once again have to prove disability.
sometimes think it would be easier to lose a leg or arm rather than your back.
cheers rachel

Closed Thread