It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 11:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

LibraBalancer HB User
Nucleoplasty

Having this done in 2 days. Just watched a webcast video of the procedure. But curious as to what medicine they gave? Does anyone remember what medicine they where given IV and if any medicine and what was given as Rx post the operation. Thanks......nervous.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:11 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

klh121560 HB User
Re: Nucleoplasty

They start with a saline IV drip. From there, the get you on the table and when ready, most usually give a ned called versed. It is used to help you forget the pain and procedure. It is quite good. Not really euphoric, but you won't feel a thing.
Then on the table, the will start with lidocaine, do the procedure, many docs will add some type of epidural steroid to help with any inflammation, and also will inject some antibiotics.
You should be feeling no pain at all until the lidocaine weras off in a few hours. Then you'll feel sore. How much depends on what the condition of you back was previous to the nucleo, and how much he did (mulitple levels, etc..)
Usually the docs then give the patient an Rx for Percocet or Vicoden.

First teo weeks are mostly rest in bed or recliner, then slow walking each week adding minutes to the weekly walk. At 8-10 weeks, PT can begin. Aqua therapy is definitely the best. Later on real PT can begin.
Then hopefully your completely cured and can run in the NYC marathon

Peace,
Ken

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
(female)

aerorules HB User

I also had versed during the procedure and was sent home with vicodin. I was back to work at 2 weeks and did not go to physical therapy. The doctor that did mine really didn't give me too much instruction/restriction afterwards. It really varies, depending on your doctor. Hopefully yours is a good one. Good Luck and let us know how it went.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I'm not sure about the meds, I know I had to wear a brace and did not have bed rest but NO bending, twisting or lifting for 6weeks.
Mine failed they work mostly if the disc is contained if you have tears it's usually not succsseful.
Mine was great for 5weeks and as soon as I began aqua thearpy BAM ...
Good luck and hope it turns out well for you.
Linda

Last edited by jdlfmc; 01-20-2005 at 12:41 PM.

Closed Thread