It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
(male)

erg57 HB User
Pain Free Neck!

I think the medrol steroids worked. My neck does not hurt for the first time since May 2004. The neuro thinks I may have had undiganosed viral meningitis last spring and had a residual inflammation effect in my neck. (???) It's still a bit stiff but not a lick of pain. I am hoping its gone permanently but if it comes back--I have at least been warned.

Now my next project is my lower back, which I have never discussed here because my neck hurt worse. I think I need to take a rest from doctors for a while and then get it checked out. Its getting harder to walk because of it....I am kicking myself for not mentioning it in my umptenn doctor apptmts in the last eight months.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Pain Free Neck!

In regards to the neck, I am so happy for you!!!!! That is great news.

As to the lower back, every doctor that I have seen tells me, walk, walk, walk, even if it hurts. It will hurt you more in the long run if you don't. Try gentle stretches and even if walking involves a short walk around the dinner table, or around your yard ( if you don't live in the Northern states right now where it is 50 below), then that is okay too. Any amount of walking is better than none. I have lower back pain and I force myself to walk, even while cursing the entire time. I got myself a dog to force myself to walk.

About 80% of everyone will experience back problems in their lives and most of them resolve themselves in time with proper care. Something as simple as walking and stretching could do the trick. I also suggest a hot soak in the tub. Works wonders for me.

take care,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

you sound like me
I am now opposite of you-my back is healing so now I need to focus on what in the HECK to do with my neck-steroids/traction/PT, nothing has worked, and I am seriously doubtful anything will and I am scared.
BUT< I am so very happy for you that your neck issues are taken care of! You should talk to your dr about prevention, if there is anything you can do in the interum to make sure it doesn't happen again. COngrats and get to workin' on that back!

Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

there is a lot you can do to strengthen and prevent neck injries. Speak to you pt re this. I have a series of exercises I do and when iactually adhere to the instructions my neck does well. If I forget it plays up on me. I think the pain I get stems from laying down with my neck propped up to read the keyboard - should learn to touch type and it would help my neck

Losy

Old 01-20-2005, 05:03 AM   #5
(male)

erg57 HB User

Thanks for everyones' words. I will heed them. Despite my back pain, which is now running down the back of my left leg/butt area and is not the worst pain (whats this?), I am still keeping up my running and weight training which I have done for years. Funny thing is since my neck and back problems I have become MORE active than I usually am. I feel at 35, I am too young to have this stuff going on. My pop is putting off hip replacement right now and he has bad knees....most of it due to weight problems. he has since shed the weight and is able to forgo surgery for a while. I have never had a weight problem, but everyone else in my family has. I am lucky, but I do not want these "intro to middle-age" issues I am having to affect my life anymore than they have already. And yes, I know one does not need be getting older to have these issues. Soemtimes my head tells me I am 17-- my bench press and time in the mile tell me otherwise

Closed Thread