It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Big Mistake!!

Hey Guy's,
The Surgeon called and PM should of never done the injections in the area of where the fusion will be. Not only did it throw out my back, but he said it could of paralized my legs.
Now I have to stay off ALL pain meds until the surgery. NO matter how hard it is, so the meds will work better afterwards. He said I will REALLY need them after surgery more than I do now.
If he would of known she was going to due the injections in the same area, he would of told me not to have it done.
I WISH THOSE 2 COULD TALK TO EACH OTHER!!!
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Re: Big Mistake!!

So I guess PM and the surgeon don't communicate with each other...I will keep this in mind if I ever need to see my quack of a surgeon....I'm so sorry for your misfortune. It must be terrible without any meds, I can only imagine. I hope you have the strength to endure the pain before surgery! -Anita. PS: Hey, maybe if your surgery is days away, perhaps you could sleep the entire time up until you have to wake up for surgery. Even then all they're gonna do is put you back to sleep! (Maybe my small joke brought a smile to your face???)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Anita,
Ya, that would be great wouldn't it ? I do have muscle relaxers that is not pain meds, so I am going to try using them for now. I am counting the days, my surgery is in a little less than 2 weeks, 13 days I think. February 2nd.
But at least I am his first patient, so I wake up at 5am go to the hospital then get put to sleep around 7am.
Welcome to the boards .
Stardust

Old 01-19-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

That stinks.....No meds at all, no even one a day how unfair. Well just know that there is an end in sight. Hand in there, your in my prayers
shelley

Old 01-19-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
(female)

AmyNoVA HB User

Stardust, I'm so sorry to read that this didn't work for you! (Maybe you could sue the PM doc for gross negligence - not talking to your surgeon doesn't seem like good practice, especially given what you described in the other thread!) I hope the days leading up to your surgery will go quickly... and be as pain-free as possible.

Amy

Old 01-19-2005, 07:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

I am so sorry you can't use your pain meds until surgery! I hope your muscle relaxers help you. Can you try using ibuprofen or something like that which might help bring down your inflammation?

Old 01-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I only wish I could use something. But I am not allowed to take anything, not even Tylenol.
I don't understand the difference from when my back goes out on it's own and they give me pain meds, or what she did? She only tried to help by injecting the meds where the problem is (I didn't know she was doing that, but knew something was wrong and it was ALOT more painful this time).
But just like the Diskogram, it's almost the same thing, except they use dye, but it took Morphine to help me then.
She aggravated the area. The worst part is, even though she thought she was helping, the steriods slowly disinigrate the disks or something about the area where they are injected.
My back is still out, it's been out since Monday morning, I didn't take anything for it today except 2 Skalaxin, but it's so bad I just now took 1 Norco, I am going to tell him, I cannot just stop taking everything at once.
I am in so much pain and even though I haven't been on Norco very long, I am feeling sick, worse than not smoking.
I would need to cut them in half and take a couple days to completely stop them now.
I never did take them reguarly, only when my back was out and was told too and how much.
But, he said it is very important not to take anything no matter what, because it won't help after the surgery like it should. Tomorrow I am going to let him and his nurse know I have to break 1 in half when I feel really bad for a few days until I can go without them.
The 1 and only 1, I took tonight was only 5mg. So I will break that in half in a day or so, and then stop it completely.
It is up to the surgeon as to how much pain meds you get after surgery, so I am going to have to make it [B]CRYSTAL[/B] clear about my Xanax, my last surgery, (a different surgeon) decided I didn't need Xanax and I was going into seizures before the nurses finally talked her into giving me [B]one[/B].
It's hard, because if they don't know I have over a 10 yr dependency on them, they won't prescribe them.
Or sometimes they forget.
I am going to talk with him, he is [B]VERY[/B] strict about everything, it is his way or no way.
She might of done me a favor, Now I need to know where he stands on pain meds and my regular meds [B][U]BEFORE[/U] [/B] surgery. I have been told after the surgery they need to use Morphine for the first 24 hours. But not him, he said he will start me out on a low dose of Dilaudid. I told him I had taken 4mg of Dilaudid 4 times a day after my one emergency surgery and it didn't help then. But he didn't say anything.
If he is thinking of keeping me on low to no pain meds before, during and after the surgery, then I am going to find another surgeon.
I do think she might of done me a favor, it brought his pain med views to light.
If there is an end in sight, I sure hope it's not as bad as I am thinking it will be. And I haven't been wrong yet.
He is an excellent surgeon and takes everything personal and I really trust him. But I also need to trust him with my Pain [U]and[/U] Regular meds or this [B]AIN'T HAPPENING[/B], not with him!
Stardust

Old 01-19-2005, 10:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I'm sorry. I could not imagine having to stop taking all meds before my surgery. I don't have any wise words of wisdom for you, wish I did. The best you can do is TELL him what you are concerned with. Truly.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Mel,
What were you taking for pain before your surgery? And did they tell you to stop taking everything before the surgery?

What about everyone else post-op?
Stardust

Old 01-19-2005, 10:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I was taking two 10/325 percs every four hours before my surgery. I didn't have to stop, but I hadn't had anything to set me back either. I don't understand why your dr would tell you that. HOnestly, it makes no sense to me. I don't see how your pain meds could be bad? The only thing I could not have prior was Ibuprophen b/c of the blood thinning thing...

Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Hang in there - as you said only 13 days until surgery. It will all be worth it in the ned. Keep in mind the big picture, use muscle relaxents and sit tight. I often think that most of the pain we buggered back people get is from muscle spasm anyway

Losy

Old 01-19-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I don't understand the med thing either, if he or his nurse does not call me back by 2pm tomorrow, I am going to have someone drive me there and just show up. I have left 3 messages and am not getting the right answers.
I really need to know his plan before I go in.

12 days and counting.

The muscle spasms are a protective device to protect the spine from injury, but since the damage is as far gone as it is, and my back is out right now, the spasms are just making things worse. And then being told no meds, not even Tylenol is ludicrusy.
Stardust

Old 01-19-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

yeah, I just don't SEE how pain meds could be harmful! SO ODD
Wish you well though and hope you get the answers you need. Let us know!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:35 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Ok, My Surgeon [U]AND [/U] his Nurse called this morning and was on both lines with me, He told me to go back to PM and see if I had gotten an infection from the injections. I went. I do not have any infection.
I returned thier call and discussed the pain meds and my regular meds. He said being my back is STILL out, I can take a very small dose of pain meds that I already have from PM, just he won't prescribe anything, and to try to make it till the surgery, it is the only thing that will help me. He is very confident in everything he is telling me.
He also said since I have been on my regular meds for so long, he will make sure I continue to recieve them.
Just to try to keep any pain meds at what I can tolerate and not raise them.
He will call again this afternoon and check in with me. But said the Back Surgery is my only hope, and since it went out during the injections, it is highly possible it may not get any better till he goes in to fix everything.
Stardust

Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Stardust: I get the pain meds things because you want to get the optimum effects from the meds after surgery but I don't get the part, *back went out*. What exactly does that mean? Do you have a slipped disc?

just curious,

Closed Thread