It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 10:15 AM   #1

JWHIT HB User
Anyone use these???

Hello All!
Wondering if anyone has used either of these two treatments. Pain management dr. is starting me on a detox program tomorrow. I am going to be given a prescription called Buprenorphine (Subutex/Suboxone) for pain. No more Vicodin after tonight. They will keep me there to monitor me for a little while to make sure I don't have a bad reaction to meds. Also, this Dr. gave me some patches to wear over my scars on my back. They can be worn for up to 24 hrs. They are called Lidoderm (Lidocaine 5%). The second one I used may me a little irritated and red. I see my Back Dr. Tues for a check up so I won't wear another patch until I see him. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone out there has used either perscription? And if you had good results. I thought I would be doing so much better by now. It's getting really hard for me, my mind feels so healthy and I feel like I should be doing better than I am. My body hasn't caught up to my mind. I am trying to stay positive, but it is getting harder and harder. I hope everyone is having a good day! God Bless and Take Care!
Jean

Old 01-20-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User
Re: Anyone use these???

Hi,

I had the patches as one of my very first treatments when my back first started hurting. My Primary Care doctor was either REALLY optimistic about them or had a deal with the company because she perscribed 3 BOXES of them!! I used them off and on for about a month, because I couldn't tell if they worked or not -- what I remember is that they were COLD when you first put them on. When I had them on I thought they didn't do much, but then if they were off I noticed I hurt more. It could have been that (being this was pre fusion, back when we all were hoping I had just strained my back) they were not enough for the mess that my back was at the time... I kinda wonder about trying one know, as still have 2 1/2 BOXES in the cabinent (there are super expensive - thank GOD for good insurance).

My hubby tried one on his very messed up knee (I know that is wrong, as they were not perscribed for him, but...) before golfing one day, and he though they were GREAT... so who knows.

Does that help at all?? Did I answer your question even a little? In summery I couldn't tell if they worked or not (but think that had more to do with the severity of my back's injury), but my hubby thought they were great. I'm willing to try again (and just may), and wish you the very best of luck!!

Last edited by StMishl; 01-20-2005 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I had these patches prescribed for me for SI pain a few months ago. They dont offer you a sample, too expensive. If they did, I am not sure that any of us would have put out the money to buy them. They are made for pain *on* the skin, not under it. They work for scrapes, burns, etc. It is just another scam perpetrated by the pharmacuetical companies. But, it they make you feel good, and they work on a phsycological level, then what is the harm?

I have a whole box of them, minus one, that I was suckered into buying.

But, yours is for the scar? It might work. The scar is on the surface. I hope that it works for you.

Old 01-20-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Are they starting you on the Subutex for detox or pain? I always thought that was for helping with withdrawal off of opiates....do you still have alot of pain? What kind of pain do you still have? What other meds do you take for pain?
shelley

Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #5

JWHIT HB User

Thanks for the response. The patches are for the pain I am feeling from my scars. The dr. perscribed 3 boxes, $500ish without insurance. I don't know if there worth it. I am going to give them another try after my visit with my Dr. on Tues.. I thought Subutex was for both. Detox and Pain. I am about a 3 Vicodin a day person. I take extra strenght tylenol too. Some days I can go for about 5 hours without any meds. and then whammo, the pain hits hard. Other days only about 2 to 3 hours. Weird. I'll get there sooner or later! Take Care All!
Jean

Old 01-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

$500 for a box..a sample would be great to see if it works before spending all that money. I do not know but taking a max of three pain pills a day for chronic back pain does not sound like a lot to me at all. Let us know if those meds do help with the pain. I saw it posted on the pain management board before that someone was going to start the Sub for chronic back pain and was asking about it, so please keep us updated on how it works...
Good Luck
shelley

Last edited by myspine; 01-20-2005 at 04:49 PM.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #7

JWHIT HB User

Your right about 3 Pain pills a day for back pain not being to bad. I have 4 daughters and have to function. I wish I could take more for the pain but I don't function very well. Believe me, if it were just hubby and myself I sure wouldn't put myself through this. This is only day three on Subutex and nothing but bad things to say. I will post in a couple days on this. Thanks!
Jean

Closed Thread