It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User
Death to the coach potato- I'm off to work!

Well, its official, as of Monday (which will be 6 weeks to the day since the TLIF fusion) I'm back to work 3 hours per day. Doctor was not happy about it (wanted me to stay home another 2 weeks), but I think i'd then have to consider admission to the loony bin.

I am going to take it very easy and if it is too soon i'll stop, but it is all set, and I will just be sitting for the most part (I tried sitting in my work chair - it has good back support and can be tilted back and locked so I think it'll be ok) with FREQUENT walks. My dr wrote 30 minutes sitting with 5 minutes walking and 3-4 hours a day for 2 weeks then it'll be my next appt and x-ray and we will discuss the next step up.

My boss (usually the biggest jerk in the world) was actually very nice, and my poor co-worker who has carried my weight was very excited to see me!!

The "guys" I work with were all very supportive (I do HR for an areospace engineering company) so I will hopefully be in good shape when I leave at 11:00 each day

I'm a bit terrified, as yesterday WORE me out completely (work visit for 1 hr, eye dr for new glass, mall for new battery in watch, pharmacy, pick up daughter from school, then out to dinner) - Only about 4 hours but it was in and out of the car... And boy, you know I try to be tough and strong, but dear GOD, I still REALLY hurt.....

Still debating on going to get the Handicaped parking decal, it'd make parking easier (especially at work) did anyone else do that?? I feel kind of lame doing it??? But then by the end of yesterday at the pharmacy I could have REALLY used it!!!

Ok, sorry this is so long... Hope everyone has a good day.

Last edited by StMishl; 01-20-2005 at 11:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 11:50 AM   #2
(female)

Madonna HB User
Re: Death to the coach potato- I'm off to work!

Well, aren't you somethin. Good for you, sounds like you are doing better than my husband. He can't even dream of going back to work yet. He will be six weeks post op tomorrow. He will be out for the full eight weeks. He doesnt go back to the doctor until the 31st of Jan. and then they will determine when he goes back to work.

But I tell you, I am about ready for him to head back. I am tired of him laying in the bed while I get ready for work! I know that sounds mean but it will be nice to get back in our routine. I have been very supportive of him so please dont think bad of me. It is just that it will be nice to get back into a more normal life.

Good luck to you and dont over do it. I am glad you are doing so well. I will pray that you continue to get stronger and stronger each day and that you do not suffer any more pain.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Thank you! I don't think bad, I know what you mean. I know when my hubby is sick even a few DAYS I get crabby and crave for him to get moving I am ready to get going!

I am lucky in thaat my job is a desk job with quite a bit of flexibility ( that they will even let me work 3 hrs per day). What does your hubby do?

Also the fact that it is 80 degrees here in AZ helps, I couldn't even try this if involved driving in bad weather or snow,

Now to find clothes that fit over the dumb brace. I have two dresses I bought online. I lost some weight, but its hard to find things that work over the brace and the bone stim, everyone yesterday kept asking about my "cord" (I joked it was where you plug me in at).

Also going to get my hair cut and colored on Saturday... I don't know if its the pain or suregery or what, but its got gray coming in!! Im only 33 and have frigging GRAY!! I have not colored it in almost 5 months (Dumb back) so it is way grown out, but maybe its the stress, RIGHT????? (someone tell me its the stress!!! ) I have grey hair that SO has to be covered, anyone else try getting their hair done?? how hard is it? Can you lean back enough in the shampoo chair? I love the lady who does my hair, and she knows the situation, but i'm a bit worried. However grey hair is an emergency in my book (my mom is a "blond" at 56 so who knows at what age she'd have been grey! ) Any suggestions???

Okay, enough, my replies are like novels today... sorry

Last edited by StMishl; 01-20-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:35 PM   #4
(male)

jpecot HB User

Congrats on going back to work

Just take it easy and if it hurts......go home. That's great your work is being so nice about everything. Mine will be like that also, they will want me back too bad not too

If you need the handicap placard.....get it. No one says you have to use it everywhere or everytime. Just my two cents.

Again, congrats !!

~Jim

Old 01-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I applaud you for going back, but I sure wouldn't. You take it easy and don't feel bad if it IS too soon! Sorry about the gray hair. Best wishes to you!

Old 01-20-2005, 05:56 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Well unfortunatley I had only been with the company since August as a full time "real" employee (I was a temp" before that) so I don't qualify for LTD or Even short term disability or FMLA - nothing!!!!!!!!!! We've used up my vacation pay, and now we are operating on hubby's income alone Pass me the bob bons - I'm a lady of leisure (joking, obviously!!) Luckily my hubby is our main breadwinner, to put it mildly (I earn about as much as he pays in taxes each month). But for BOTH of our sanity's sake, I have to get out of the house of do something remotly productive. I am not the stay at home type (my girls are in school full time, I can only barely clean the house, and daytime tv is driving me insane).

My job has been held as long as it can be held. As much as I dislike my job, it is a job and I don't see having the motivation to go search for a new one right now. As a compromise, if I go back 3 hrs/day, I can stay in the know (there is much restructuring going on) and hopefully I can avoid being let go. I am hoping I can figure something else in the afternoons (while I am resting). I'd like to work at my youngest daughter's school library... maybe I can voluneeter there a few afternoon's a week (No lifting). And be in line for a spot come August.

What scares me folks is that in all honesty I feel about the same as I have felt the last 2 weeks... Nothing is changing these last few weeks... I'm at a standstill physically. At the end of week 5 - and feel about the same as where I did at week 3. Is this as good as it gets? If so I can live with this, (and the choices are...???) not great, but ok... I just have to pull myself up by the "slippers" (no bootstraps ) and get back to life. In all honesty, whether I am out all day (like yesterday) or today's staying in doing stuff around the house, resting, reading on the computer, etc... I feel about the same at the end of the day. So why NOT return to work???

I am better than pre-op, but still in pain. I guess I just think another 2 weeks (if they're like the last 2 weeks) will not miraculously put me much further ahead...I'll just have a less understanding boss and a crabbier hubby! So might as well go back now.

Thanks for the kind words, and I will take it easy. Good night folks, hope everyone sleeps well.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Congrats on going back to work! It'll make you feel better, mentally if not physically. I went back a little bit this week, and it's actually making me feel better physically as well. I'm just doing a couple of hours a day, but that's enough for now- I'm really tired by the time I get home! Of course, I'm only 2 weeks post-op too. But stay positive- feeling productive again will make you feel so much better! Let us know how it goes, and lots of luck with finding another job opportunity that you enjoy!

Jessie

Old 01-20-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Jessie -- What are YOU doing back at work???? 2 weeks? And people think i'm crazy at 6 weeks!! Why are you working? YOu are a teacher if I remember correctly, so I can imagine your students missing you, but that involves a lot of physical up and down... PLEASE be careful!! (2 weeks was my point of just coming out of the major drug FOG!!) WOW! I knew you were doing well, but you must be doing GREAT to be back to work so soon

Anyone else NOT fusing yet at 5 weeks? When is the "norm"? From Mel and Jess it sounds like everyone is fusing, my dr didn't SOUND like anything was wrong, and until I herd on here how everyone else was fusing, I thought I was okay... but dr told me we xray again in 2 weeks to see if anything was happening yet... how long until you know if its 'working"... I had the same as Jessie, the TLIF fusion with BMP with only the back incision.

On to the petty question of my hair - anyone try the salon yet? Is that pushing it or can I wash that gray outa my hair Saturday ?? How long did you wait to go get beautiful?? I am at my limit.... Do I need to drug up first? (Great, I'll agree to cut my hair off and color my dk red hair blond ).

Thanks guys!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Don't worry- I'm being EXTREMELY careful! I teach horseback riding lessons, and all I have to do is run my mouth while everyone else does all the lifting, etc. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with my mouth, and I'm GREAT at telling everyone else what to do (sweetly of course)! My doc gave me permission, and he does know what I do. It's giving me a little bit of exercise (walking around and stuff), plus I have a comfy chair if I need it. It's made a huge difference in my mental state! Also, I am in absolutely no pain most of the time. If I start to ache a little, I rest. Simple as that!

Haven't tried the salon yet, but I'm having a facial and manicure tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure the shampoo chair would feel all that great, but you may be feeling differently since you're farther out than I am. Be careful about that- those chairs put you at a really strange angle!

I think everyone fuses at different rates. When I saw my doc on Tuesday, he just pointed out where the BMP/bone paste was and the cages/rods/screws were. He didn't say much about the actual fusing, I'm assuming since it's so early after surgery. I do know that he has an extraordinarily high rate of fusion with his patients, I believe because he allows his patients to do things at their own pace (i.e. allowing me to go back to light light work so early) and get a little exercise, as long as there's NO lifting. If I were you, I wouldn't worry that you're not fusing.

Sorry about my novel!

Jessie

Old 01-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Remember I had a completely different surgery in a sense and I had cadaver bone and I am using a bone growth stimulator. I haven't been sick either with meds, nor losing weight and I am taking in a lot of calcium too. All of these factors can make a difference, ya know? You both are brave to go back. I would not-then again, I have no job to go back to! I am having to worry about my neck too, so I have to really wait until that is treated and under control before I can go back. For all I know, it could be another four months off. I have LTD though, and my job keeps me around and hasn't said one thing about firing me, even though they know I can't do my job and my old spot has been filled.
I too am all of a sudden having a pain day. ST, you are in AZ right? well, my mil in SD is hurting with her fibro, hubby hurts with his knees, I am hurting more and you are too! I wonder if a new system is moving through-I heard on the news a High system is moving through-wonder if that is the culprit.
Don't stress too much, that won't help. Take it easy and hang in there. I am in NO rush to go back, if that makes you feel any better!

Old 01-21-2005, 07:13 AM   #11
(female)

Madonna HB User

My husband went to the doctor two weeks post op and had already started fusing a little on L4. He had not started fusing on L5 yet. His hair is turning gray too! I thought about getting him some color next time I go shopping. That spinal fustion must really be hard on the body.

Today he is six weeks post op. He said his leg and foot have been hurting very badly. He said his foot feels like it is sitting in a bowl of coals because it is a burning pain.

But his spirits are up and he is feeling stronger. He is still taking 20mg oxy and four to five percs a day. He wanted to go to the store yesterday and I told not to. I told him that he didnt need to be driving on all those pain meds.

But tonight we are going out to dinner with my family and he is looking so forward to it. He needs to get out and do something with some other people beside me all the time.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Hi folks! Doing okay today. Nervous about Monday. I'm in AZ at it is cloudy and BLAH out, here comes the rain again I think. Mel, I also have the bone stim that I wear 24/7,,, hoping that does some good ("Go little stimular GO!").

Hey, if work is too much, then I'll wait another week or so, but I really have to give it a try. Hubby seems less distant just since I have said I was going back... The blob in the Lazy Boy chair is doing something, WOW!

My Soma (even broken in 1/2) are knocking me to the moon. I love that they control the spasms, but WOWZA. Anyone else take this dose? Is 325 mg a HIGH dose or am I just way suseptable to this? No driving on this on, obviously!

I cannot wait for the hair appt. My hair lady says she'll cover me in plastic and tilt me only as far as is comfortable, and then if the floor gets wet, so what (Thats what towels are for!)! She is hip to the situation and will be gentle, as I always tip well and hurting me would not be a good move I like the idea of blaming the surgery for the grey hair Madonna! But men can look distinquished where as I just look OLD!! I'm even going out on a limb and getting bangs - not like in 5th grade bangs, but the "in" kinda bangs!! I've been all one length forever so this will be a major change (OK off topic here, sorry!)

Talk to you all later, trying not to worry that I may not be fusing as quickly as others... thinking positive fusing thoughts towards my back... FUSE!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

St, don't worry so much about the fusing thing. You have ailments that I don't have and who knows how that can affect the body when it comes to healing. I had a bone scan today to see if I have Osteoporosis-I would guess not if I am fusing, but you never know. My husband is going grey and has been for the past two years. He is ****** b/c he started at 25. I have no gray, but neither does my mom. But who knows...I just checked my Soma and mine is 350 too. Just goes to show how meds affect us differently. When I took it, I could never tell it worked and never felt better or different. But the Flexeril does affect me. So odd.....
Hope you are having a great day!-well, not a sunny one, but hope it isn't too bad.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Death to the coach potato- I'm off to work!

I think you are on the right road. Let me give advice about working. My 1st 2 wks. back I thought I was doing well. But I didn't realize that I had been twisting and bending with out even realizing it. By wk. 3 I was really hurting. My biggest problem was filing. I could stand for the files at chest level, sit on a chair for waist height files but for the ones on the floor...watch out. Also, make sure you do get up every 30 mins. even if it's for 5 min. It makes a huge difference. I know you'll be fine. I wish you the best.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lorie

Old 01-22-2005, 04:44 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

Be very careful at hair appt. That rinse chair did me in at 8 weeks post op.
That position leaning back is very painful and probably not to good for the back. It sounds like your gal will do her best to help but be careful.
Im glad you even feel like trying work but don't overdo it.
Good luck
Lisa

Closed Thread