It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
back from follow up

Hello all! I had a great visit with my dr this morning. We looked at my xrays and they look GREAT! My bones are already fusing. My dr told me that then said, " I knew you were a great candidate for this". I am very pleased. I can drive all I want and sit in our hot tub. I don't see him again for another two months and PT is up in the air. Def not until then for sure. We won't treat my neck until my back is fused. I got a script for flexoril, since I don't feel the soma is doing much. We all were just smiles the whole visit, even my dr. So, looks like I am out for another two months atleast, and I may just keep myself out until I am sure all my pains are controllable (meaning back healed and neck controlled). I sure hope everyone gets better and has great one month follow ups too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: back from follow up

Congratulations Mel,
I am thrilled to hear that you are doing so well. That's awesome. Take care and enjoy the hot tub. Talk to you later. Kristy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
(male)

jpecot HB User

Congrats Mel

~Jim

Old 01-20-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
(female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

Way to go! Glad your report was good. I have something to aim for. I had a good 2 week report yesterday. I can drive short distances and I'm to walk and I can work on my upper body strength. Today I took the car and went to a meeting! Feels great! Congrats again

Old 01-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Congrats on a good follow-up! It feels great, doesn't it? I was so excited after mine on Tuesday. Keep being careful though!

Jessie

Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you thank you! I still have a long road, but knowing all is going the way it is supposed to is reassuring. I am resting now b/c my pain is a bit high today. I think the flexoril I took a couple hours ago is making me sleepy
I am going to pass good vibes out to others healing. eyes, closing......knoddin....g...o...f.....f.............

Old 01-20-2005, 05:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

Good for you, Mel. Hearing those words is music to our ears. You are well on your way now to full recovery and I couldn't be happier for you.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 01-20-2005, 05:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Way to go Mel! Already fusing?! Wonderful! my doctor said that the white "mist" was the BMP that would disolve and eventually turn into bone as I began to fuse - guess that means I wasn't fusing yet ... is that bad at 4 weeks (when I last saw him). Was EVERYONE fusing at 4 weeks? If I wasn't then does that mean something was wrong????

I just got Soma yesterday for the muscle spasm and all I can say is WOW! I guess different drugs for different folks! I didn't think Ambian did anything for sleep, but Soma knowcks me into another universe (QUESTION: my pharmacist had a "high dose alert" on the perscription "Info about this medication" thingy; it is generic and is 350 mg - is that really high ???) it stops the muscle spasms but also stops me - knocks me on my butt!!! Will only take it at night. Maybe i'll try breaking them in half???

Well Congrats on fusing Mel., as usual your "beating me" just joking!! And Jessie too! YOu guys are doing great!

I'll just keep thinking fusing thoughts!! We're going to find a fitness center with an indoor pool this weekend (and a hot tub!!), as I am dying to try aqua-arobics. I was cleared for Light swimming and easy water work, and of course the hot tub and am SO eager to get in! Mel, do you have a hot tub? I would give about anything to have a hot tub!!!

Have a good day guys!

Old 01-20-2005, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

great news mel - keep positive and keep up the good work

Old 01-20-2005, 09:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Congrats Mel !!! great news when you hear positive things so soon. wishing you continued success.

Carol

Old 01-20-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh I only wish we had our own hot tub. But, alas, it is here at the apartment complex. In ground so it will be a snap to get into.
I had cadaver bone not the BMP so I wonder if that makes any difference. I also have the bone growth stimulator that makes the bone grow and fuse a bit faster. Plus, I have been a piggy wiggly the past few weeks I have also increased my calcium intake by 100% since before surgery ( I NEVER drank milk, ate yogurt nothin', and never took supplements). I think you are healing just fine at the rate that is right for you my dear! It is hard but we can't compare ourselves. I am suprised I am healing so fast, remember how all my incisions were closed and dry by day three after surgery? HEck, with my micro d I was still draining a bit the week after. Maybe I did something right this time, who knows.
But, today is a high pain day. And let me tell ya, I am still fighting that Flexeril off! I have Somas and I could not tell a lick if they helped at all, but man, gotta love cyclobenazapreme. I used this for all our red eye flights over the summer, It knocked me on my butt! My dr wrote to take it TID for pain as needed. If I did, I CAN NOT drive.
Hubby rubbed my neck and shoulders; I am able to sleep on my tummy so he could get to it all and it felt so good. We have a professional fitness institute here and you can get upper body massage for fifteen bucks. I may do that. I really really want PT on my neck-but dr wants to wait. DARN.
Well, I will keep positive for everyone and myself as long as you ALL DO THE SAME!

Old 01-21-2005, 06:23 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

I had bmp and no bone stimulator and I was 100% fused by 4 months. My doctor didn't want to use the bone stim...unless I wasn't showing signs of progression. It's better to let the body natuarlly do what the body wants to do - which is regrow the bone.

At 4 weeks I wasn't showing a lot of anything other than smokiness either. He said it was the beginnings of fusing, but it could have been the bmp mist for all I know. Your doctor will let you know when there is cause for concern.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Thanks for the info. I know I shouldn't worry, but Its hard not to I want to be part of the fusing party too!!!!!!

I have osteoporosis and Rhumatoid arthristis so they gave me a bone stim (luckily it is VERY small - people have asked if it is an IPOD ) to help out since I have low calcium to begin with and the meds I take for the RA give me a much higher then normal risk for infection, so I am on antibiotics (which can slow the fuse rate also)... so the 24/7 bone stim was needed to URGE things along I know each doctor has their own way of doing things they find brings the best success rate. I just had a few negatives in my column to start with, so I am extra concerned about fusion rate (My dr though is very sure it will be sucessful with these extra measures and a bit of time!!) I tend to worry and want to be fusing too, it just might take me a bit longer. Mel, how long are you expected to have to wear your bone stim? I was told 6-9 months.

I'm sorry you are having a pain day, is it raining there in Vegas? it is definately coming this way. Are you ready for your move? You're using movers, right? So you can just watch and direct from a comfy chair or bed???

Take it easy,

Michelle

Last edited by StMishl; 01-21-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I know one reason for the stimulator is b/c I was a smoker, very common practice to have one with that history. I was told three months of wearing it. My xray didn't seem misty at all, you could clearly see the cadaver bone.
Not raining here, infact no rain until late next week. Infact, it is sunny and the high should be in the low 70's.
We are looking forward to our move next week, we have hired starving students to move us. All we do is pack up and let them do the rest. I have to drop the pets off next week at the vet to board and then we spend Friday closing our condo then moving. SHould be quite the busy day!

Old 01-21-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: back from follow up

Yeaaaa! It's wonderful to hear your good report. I can just imagine the smiles on your faces (You and hubby). Keep up the good work and enjoy the hot tub!

Have a great night,

Lorie

Closed Thread