It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User
Question Anterior/Posterior VS TLIF/w Posterior Lumbar Fusion

Which is REALLY best?? I get the feeling from the surgeon the Anterior/Posterior approach is the best, but due to severe adhesions, he will only do the TLIF w/ Posterior Lumbar Fusion.
Is this risking the hardware to become loose later, Is it harder on the spine?
What about the nerves?
Or is the TLIF w/Posterior Lumbar Fusion really the newest and best way to do the cages?
Stardust

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Anterior/Posterior VS TLIF/w Posterior Lumbar Fusion

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I did ask him, and got this HELLL NO!! AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!) (I quote).

I have already had 2 abdominal surgeries for adhesions and have 10 cases of a barrier film in there to keep them down. They keep having to cut my bowels and colon loose and they get severely tangled in the mess. They say I grow them like weeds, like nothing they have ever seen before.

There isn't anyone within a 5 hour drive who will touch me abdominally now.
I would rather have the Disk Replacement, but it is too new and they won't do it until it has been tried more and has good results.

But I am understanding, my nerves in the spine could be severely damaged, not to mention the spine itself is not built to have the cages put in from the back. (Which is why he is doing the TLIF), it is where he will go in from the side of the spine. (2 inches away) on each side.
[U]My Surgery is in 10 days. [/U] I really need to understand that the Posterior/TLIF is a common way to do this.
ANY information can help.
Please.
Thanks,
Stardust

Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I was doing some reading and I read that the A/P approach seems to have a higher fuse rate-it said that there is a 95% higher fuse rate with that approach. But, I can only tell ya what I read.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

To my knowledge, the S1 & L5 is only a single level fusion right?
So it shouldn't be that difficult. The Surgeon says the TLIF & POSTERIOR FUSION is a new Minimally invasive surgery.
However, before he knew about the adhesion problems, he was ready to do the A/P.
SO I can't help but wonder????????????????????
Stardust

Old 01-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I can't help with the adhesion stuff, I don't even know what those are. Yeah, L5-S1 is one disc space. Otherwise, I have NO IDEA! duh duh duh duh, flexeril workin' yet?????hmmmmmmmmmmblahblahblah, JUST KIDDING!

Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

There are different reasons surgeons do different approaches. Only one of them being that perhaps that is the way he's more comfortable with. I would let them do it the way they feel they need to.

If he doesn't want to do it 360 (Anterior/Posterior) I would certainly be in favor of his decision. You certainly don't want an incision on front and back.

Old 01-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Hi,
No, of course I don't want the 360, but I am getting so many terrible stories from people not on this board, that I am really getting confused.
Sure, I was comfortable with the surgeon, then freaked at the back messing up again, then back to being comfortable with him again.
He says the way he does it, is alot simpler and heals alot faster, and there is absulutley no possible way for any spinal adhesions.
I had a tiny tape recorder in my purse during my visit, and when I get really confused, I re-listen to it. Everything sounds great!
Then someone tells me another horror story!!
Back and forth, Back & forth, I am getting panicky over the whole ordeal!
No cigarettes and Anxiety disorder are probably not helping my state of mind right now though.
I really DO trust him! But it's also hard NOT to trust your Family & Freinds.
Well, forget the family part, they still don't even want me to come home, but the freinds would never steer me wrong.
And why is it, that I never heard about my cousin having his 3rd back surgery, only when I need back surgery??? Couldn't someone of mentioned this before? Or are they just trying to scare me about possible future surgeries?
uggggg
10 days and counting and going nuts!!
And I really don't care what my family says, I AM coming home! My Surgeon knows the situation and said he will make sure I can shower, wash my hair and do some walking,ect, before I am released.
Stardust

Old 01-21-2005, 11:38 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 03:00 PM.

Old 01-22-2005, 07:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Stardust, I had a 2 level TLIF and I'm doing great. My surgeon prefers this approach to the anterior/posterior because he can get the same thing accomplished (insertion of cages and fusion of the front of the spine) with less trauma to the patient. I am very grateful that he used this approach, since I am healing VERY well. If you have any questions about the procedure, please feel free to ask!

Jessie

Old 01-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Stardust:
First of all, how many of these people giving you horror stories are actually those who have been through what you are going through?

And the way I look at it, people with back surgeries are just like people with pregnancy/labor stories. Everyone wants to top the other, everyone thinks their story was worse.

Just don't listen. Listen to those people on here who will give you their accountings of what happened to them, both good and bad, and weigh for yourself what's best for you. No doctor goes into this wanting to make someone more miserable than they started out. And, if you've read my previous posts, I do believe attitude going into it and through it is everything. The doctor does the procedure which is suppose to fix the problem, but it is up to us whether we make the muscles work to support it.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I agree, plus, every year surgeries get better and better with better results. There are always going to be horror stories, but I am an optimist, (sometimes), and I try to always look at the good to what I choose to do for myself. There aren't many on here with the A/P approach either, and I am too new out of surgery to really give a good history of healing. THus so far, I am doing pretty good aside from my new pains this week, but I can't expect 100% no pain immediately.

Old 01-22-2005, 03:55 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Stardust I agree with TXHunni
there are always the one better stories.....looke you're scheduled and set and you already had made your mind up that this was a good choice for you now ............let everything else just be information you file in your brain and keep on going each day ahead and look for a pain free future. Your doc has a plan for you and your specific situation and you obviously trust him or you would not have kept seeing him for treatment so just take care of yourself and know we are all here for you before and after your surgery. Good luck and do not wear yourself out before you get there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shelley

Old 01-22-2005, 04:40 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

*K* I'M KOOL!
I trust my surgeon, He ONLY does spines and would not do anything to make things worse.
HE is so confident in his work, my post-op appt is 2 weeks after the surgery!!
I'm doing my part and not smoking, and I haven't had caffiene in over 10 yrs.
Your right, not one of those people have the back problem I do and none of them have to have any surgery either.
I know he is doing what he trusts the most. He explained it all to me using a model.
I have had ALOT of abdominal surgery's and really do not want another one.
So I am going to be Thankful for not having to have A&P and only the Posterior & TLIF.
Thanks Guys,
Stardust

Closed Thread