It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
(female)

missyqm67 HB User
Husband has slipped disc in neck

My husband was in a car accident in March ,he hurt his neck and shoulder they sent him to an orthopedic surgeon who was treating the shoulder ,he tried Physical therapy ,injections and nothing was helping ,The Ortho Dr. ordered an Mri which showed a slipped disc and was impinging the nerve and also tendonitis of the shoulder also an EMG was done which showed nerve damage,he was sent to a neurosurgeon who is saying nothing can be done to help,The Ortho Dr. thought the Neurosurgeon would for sure operate,but the neuro guy says the disc is bulging to the right and shouldn't be hurting on the left but the EMG showed the nerve damage on the left.We are not sure if we should go to another neuro guy or accept nothing can be done.

Last edited by missyqm67; 01-21-2005 at 10:14 PM.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Husband has slipped disc in neck

when you are told by ANY doc that nothing can be done,it is time to get a second opinion and possibly a third.I have done this and luckily for me,I did.All neurosurgeons(and other docs) are not created equal.it really sounds as though,from what you have stated that your husbands condition is pretty standard in the world of herniated discs.did this NS explain just exactly why your husbands condition just seemed so hopeless to this particular doc?Maybe this NS just does not do a whole lot of decompression type surgeries.you need to find a good NS to re evaluate your husbands condition.I think your best bet here would be to go to any university that has a medical school.That is where I finally found the answers to all of my questions.and I did see three different NSs.I had a really bizarre type of condition and was getting pain that was on an absolutely hidious level and none of the first two NSs that I saw could tell me just what was causing this until i went to the U of M and saw the head of neurosurgery.If you live fairly close to a good teaching U, i would call and try to set an appt.If for nothing else, a good consult.If not, see another NS that is in your ins plan.But do not see another NS that is in that same practice as the first doc you saw as they all tend to back up each other.Just one word of advice though.I found it extremely difficult to actually get in to see the second opinion NS as most NSs wont see you if you have already seen the first doc as they too kind of all stick together.But whatever you do, don't let them intimidate you.You DO have the right to a second opinion no matter what they try and tell you.I made the nurse that I talked to on the phone try and put herself in my shoes and asked her just what she would do if she was in my situation .I basically put a real good guilt trip on her and eventually she said(but in a real snotty voice) that she would give me the appt.I don't know if I would state when making the appt that you have already seen another doc.They will find out however(this is when me and that nurse had the talk)but by that time, you will already have the appt set and all you really need to do is convince the person you talk to, that you really have to have the second opinion.I was told that I would have to lie to the NSs office when I tried and make that appt by the referral person at my docs office.I was quite shocked when she told me this but she said, unfortunetly this was what you usually have to do in order to actually GET a second opinion in most cases.But no matter what, you ARE entitled to a second opinion and if they give you any crap, tell them you are going to report them to your ins co and the AMA.i told my referral person that I was just reamed out by the business manager of that second NS and she was ****** about it and said let me make a phone call to your ins co trouble shooting person and i guess after they talked,that snotty business manager recieved a phone call from my ins co and they proceded to inform her that I DID indeed require a second opinion and they could not stop me from getting one.so, there you go.Get that second opinion and see what happens.By the way, I did not have any problem at all when I called the U to get that third opinion as the teaching hospitals are considered the last resort type of thing for most people when they are told that nothing can be done to treat your conditions.Please keep me posted on your husband.I hope this helped you some.Good luck,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread