It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Physical Therapy?

For those of you who have had a fusion, when did you start PT? I asked my dr about it on Thursday and the feeling I got was I might not have any, and if I did, it wouldn't be ATLEAST until late March. Could it be b/c I am moving so well? I had PT after my first back surgery, I think I started after one month post op. Just curious.

Old 01-22-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Physical Therapy?

My husband started PT at six weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Hi Mel
My PT started at 3 weeks, But following my surgery the weirdest thing happened ( of course) my left leg was so weak i could not lift it to even cross it and it was not THAT weak before. Anyway PT started ASAP for me.
When I went they did go ahead and give me a script for neck PT too, I did them together. I wonder why he is waitng until March? Maybe because you had 2 levels?
Take care
shelley

Old 01-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

My PT started at about 2.5 weeks ... it was in-home at first and then I moved to out-patient at a PT center at 8.5 weeks.

I was having weakness issues, strong limp, numbness etc. I'm sure the reason behind the PT was to get the muscles working where they should be again. Best thing I ever did. I don't think I would have done as well as I have if it hadn't been for PT.

From what the PT's tell me though, many doctors either don't believe in it or don't feel it's all that necessary. What a shame because what happens is that so many patients go home, become couch potatoes, and then wonder why their recovery takes so long or feel they had failed surgeries, when in fact what they could be having is muscles that aren't cooperating.

Old 01-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Hi,
My pt after first fusion was 3 months post op. I just had second surgery on 12-14-04, on one month check up Dr. said not for another 6 weeks. Good luck and God Bless on your recovery.

Carol

Old 01-22-2005, 07:28 PM   #6
(female)

texasmary HB User

Hi Mel ~
I am now 12 weeks post op and I am not having any formal PT yet either. My doc says we will talk about when I see him Feb. 15. He wants to make sure my bone graft is settling in. He says walk, walk, walk... that is all. He did say I could do some leg stretches while sitting down to help the stiffness in my legs. But he said absolutely no core exercises... back and stomach muscles. And that is where I feel I really need some work. Don't know what the difference is... evidently some doctors see it differently. I'll be interested to see if you do start PT.

Best wishes, Mary in Texas

Old 01-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #7
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Mel,
I was supposed to have started PT last month at my 3 month checkup. But because of my xrays and no sign of fusion yet he made me wait until 4 months and I also had to wear my brace for an extra month. So I get to start Monday, woohoo. They called and told me to bring a swim suit, so I am assuming I will be doing hydrotherapy also. I'm looking forward to starting, but at the same time I am scared to death, because of all the pain I am still in. Had xrays done again Thursday and he said the hardware looked fine and was where it should be. I asked him if I had started fusing yet and he said yes and pulled the xrays down quickly. I couldn't see anything, but I'm not a doctor. Just seemed strange that he wouldn't point it out to me. Oh well.

Knowing you Mel, you are probably doing so well, he doesn't see the need in it.
Best wishes,
Memaw

Old 01-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks you all! could be he just doesn't feel I'll need it unless he wants to wait until I am out of the brace and deduct what kind I may need. My legs aren't so stiff anymore and really, I think once I can stretch my back a little I really may not need it. I know all the exercises to do for my abs and back since i have been in it so many times. I don't know. I do know the neck is a sure thing for PT, no doubt about that. Interesting, just like we all heal at different speeds, we go to PT at different times too.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:44 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I had a little PT and OT in rehab for a couple of weeks. But I didn't start the heavy duty stuff until three months when I started weaning off my brace. At seven months I'm digging my car out in NEPA---with a baby shovel!
fly

Closed Thread