It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
(male)

Stan3 HB User
10 weeks post L5, SI discectomy

I am 10 weeks post hemilaminectomy/discectomy of the L5, S1 disk. Within hours of surgery, I noticed that I had muscle weakness or deficit on the ball of my left foot (the big toe is relatively strong, but the small toes are weak). I can and do exercise with a theraband. I walk with a noticeable limp. Otherwise, my gait is slower, but I can and do walk 3-4 kms at a stretch.

My question is, can muscle deficit be recovered? If so, how long does it take. I am scheduled to have an EMG in about 5 days. What will it show? The the fact that I have some strength mean that I more likely to recover the rest or some of the rest.

Also, I have swelling and some pain in my left calf and numbness, tightness around the left ankle, side and bottom of my left foot. At times, especially at night, the pain in my left foot will inhibit sleep. I was taking neurotin and found it didn't help much. Generally, I sleep best on my right side, sometimes with a pillow tucked between my knees.

Regards, Stan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: 10 weeks post L5, SI discectomy

having worked in rehab, there are many things that can be done for muscles after surgery. There is no guarantee it will be 100% normal, but they can get close to it. I don't know what the EMG will show-if there is nerve damage then the dr will tell you what is best: some nerve damage can be reversed, but if it is severe enough, sometimes it can get better but not much. It all depends on what kind of damage was done and where. I can't say much more than that, it will be a great question for your dr and therapist if you go to one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread