It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
I'm sleepy!

2 AM Why can't I sleep???? If this continues I might have to check myself into the looney bin Once again I turn to my family online... I knew SOMEONE would be here!
Hubby is sleeping so soundly...I'd like to elbow him... the nerve...
I have been going to PT now 3 X's a week. Same ole' story... moist heat with electronic stim, excercises, massage (ahhhh), manual traction (don't like that)... and, well, NOTHING helps me! I feel good when I walk out - relaxed, not so tight... but within 45-to an hour I'm right back to where I was. OUCHIE
It is more then frustrating to wonder what it would be like to wake up NOT in pain.....
My daughter is getting bigger, & heavier... it's getting harder & harder for me to pick her up.
This just SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh well..... I guess I just have to keep on truckin'------ Thanks for listening
~M~

Old 01-22-2005, 11:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: I'm sleepy!

I know what you mean about leaving PT feeling good then hurting when you get home. I always felt odd-they'd ask my pain level when I get there and it is high. At the end low, but at home high again! I think it is the ice-dulls the pain while I was there then wears off. It does suck. My hubby always falls alseep and I was the one always up in pain or wired on the meds. Right now, well, i didn't get up until eleven am or so, he got up at seven thirty, so only makes sense he is sleepy and I am not. But, I am hurting more these days too and that keeps me up along with my never stopping mind! I think too much when I try to go to sleep now, especially if I have a question I want to ask on here! I know how you feel though. I wish I could help. The only thing I do is take a muscle relaxer and a benadryl. That usually does the trick. I am stressing about decorating our new condo so that keeps me up! how dumb! ONe thing I love about this site, is no matter how late it is, I can vent or cry and have people to "listen". Well, I hope things get better for you-be sure to tell PT about the pain getting worse by the time you are home.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 11:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hey Mel:
I knew someone would come thru for me! Thanks!
My pain management Dr. prescribed me Ultracet... 1-2 every 4 hrs... They don't do a damn thing...don't even touch my pain! I HATE meds too!

Old 01-22-2005, 11:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

tell me about it, that med was worthless for me. There are only a few I like: My percocets and flexeril. Vicodin is good too, less of a narc than the percs and that is what I will probably keep on had at all times when I get better, just in case. You should have seen all the meds at my bedside. Well, still a lot for me now minus one. I used to have:
10/325 Percocet
10/500 Lortab
350 Soma
150 Wellbutrin
75 Zoloft
Benadryl and
stool softners
NOW:
the zoloft, 7.5/325 Percocets, 350 Soma (that I don't use), 10 mg Flexeril, benadryl and stool softners. I was a walking pharmacy!

Old 01-23-2005, 12:04 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

hee hee That's crazy! After my 1st surgery I had percacets and Codine. Those pecacets were GREAT, but made me dopey. The Codine gave me nightmares and sweats, I had to stop them. I am on Zoloft too, 200 mg a day (I'm crazier then you ha ha) ~ Yeah, the Ultracet is terrible....
You mentioned that you are decorating your condo... congratulations! If you go to benjaminmoore.com they have this program that you can actually paint a room. It's neat, I used it all the time when we were decorating our house. Just to get an idea of how the colors would work and all. Plus, you can order paint samples for FREE! Good Luck!
~M~

Old 01-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #6
(female)

memawhurts HB User

I'm up right along with you guys! I think I have my days and nights mixed up. I'm usually awake until around 5 or 6 am, but this morning it was around 9:30 and I slept until about 2pm. And I was taking Elavil for sleep and it made my rls worse so I had to stop taking it. My GP started me on trazodone and the first night I took it (thurs) I was asleep in 30 minutes time, but tonight and last night, no effects at all.

And Mel I know what you mean about the pharmacy. I have on hand right now:
Oxycontin
Percocet
Lortab
Valium
Demerol
Phenergan
Elavil
Cymbalta
Trazodone
Neurontin
Zantac
Advair for asthma (just diagnosed with this too)
Zithromax for asthmatic bronchitis
Oh yeah and definitely the stool softners

Of course the only pain meds I take are Lortab and valium occassionally.
For somebody that hates to take meds I have enough for everybody!
Memaw

Old 01-23-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hi memaw! Welcome to the sleep deprived club! My husband just got up and said, "What the hell are you doing?" I laughed at him, and started to have a full-blown conversation... needless to say he went back to bed

Old 01-23-2005, 12:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

wow, mucho meds! I am on the zoloft for anxiety-it is used to help me sleep and not think think think so much at bed time, but not helping now! May have to see if dr wants to up it. Who knows.
We haven't moved into the condo yet so it is even worse no fully knowing how all our stuff will look when in it. It kinda sucks. I am going crazy. Hmmm, need a snack too!

Old 01-23-2005, 12:40 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

I take Zoloft for OCD.
Oh, you haven't moved in yet... either way, you should check out that website, it was a great help to me
Here in NY it's snowing.... still... started around 1 this afternoon, and it's still coming down!
I need a snack too.... good idea

Old 01-23-2005, 01:12 AM   #10
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Mlachowicz,
I have to sneak to even get on the boards. My dh thinks I just get on here and read, lol. He has heard all these people talking about their wives or husbands finding new people on the net that he's scared to death of it. I told him we have been married for 26 years and I am not about to train another one now.

Mel you are right way too many meds. But most of them came as trial and error trying to find something that works. I'm terrified of getting addicted to something so I rarely take any thing. I just usually tough it out. Except for sleeping. Now I hate to admit it but the other night I was so desperate to sleep that I took 2 elavil, 2 lortabs and 2 valiums. Still stayed up all night. I used to could get drowsy from taking regular tylenol. Not anymore, nothing works.

Oh and Mel, don't overdo things when you do move. You don't want to mess anything up and I'm here to tell you it can happen.

Memaw

Old 01-23-2005, 01:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks for the moving reminder. Luckily, we hired movers, all we will do tomorrow is pack. I will do DVDs, vases, books (paperbacks) and what not into boxes hubby will put on table for me so I don't need to get low. The way I feel right now-I sure as heck won't do anything stupid.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #12
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Just remember it sneaks up on you before you know it. Make sure you wear your brace and take lots of breaks. Packing is hard too. More moving back and forth and side to side. Just be careful. You have worked your way into to many of our hearts for us to hear you had a big setback.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I will think about that all day tomorrow-Don't bend or Memaw will get mad at yoU!! That'll keep me straight
I promise I will pay attention and rest. Pinkie swear

Old 01-23-2005, 08:30 AM   #14
(male)

avglenn HB User

[QUOTE=memawhurts]I'm up right along with you guys! I think I have my days and nights mixed up. I'm usually awake until around 5 or 6 am, but this morning it was around 9:30 and I slept until about 2pm. And I was taking Elavil for sleep and it made my rls worse so I had to stop taking it. My GP started me on trazodone and the first night I took it (thurs) I was asleep in 30 minutes time, but tonight and last night, no effects at all.

And Mel I know what you mean about the pharmacy. I have on hand right now:
Oxycontin
Percocet
Lortab
Valium
Demerol
Phenergan
Elavil
Cymbalta
Trazodone
Neurontin
Zantac
Advair for asthma (just diagnosed with this too)
Zithromax for asthmatic bronchitis
Oh yeah and definitely the stool softners

Of course the only pain meds I take are Lortab and valium occassionally.
For somebody that hates to take meds I have enough for everybody!
Memaw[/QUOTE]
FYI...I have taken Trazadone before and all it did is keep me awake longer ?? But I have been taking AMBIEN for sleeping , wow what a difference. It will do the trick in 15 to 30 mins, a bit longer if you fight it. But I rarely wake up at night, like I was before w/ pain 2 to 3 times a night. After around 8 hours sleep you are up like clock work, and feel refreshed. I dont feel groggy (sp) or any other ill effects. Definetly a savior for me. Just thought I'd pass the info. along !!

Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #15
(female)

memawhurts HB User

danagc,
Thanks for the info. My GP mentioned ambien but I think she mentioned something about it costing a lot. She is foreign, so it's hard to understand her at times, but I wouldn't trade her for anything. She is actually not in my insurance network, so I have just been paying her myself. That's how much I like her.

I will give the trazodone at least a couple of weeks to at least give it a fair trial. If it is still not working then I will call her about the ambien.

Thanks again for the info. It is greatly appreciated.
Memaw

Closed Thread