It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 04:26 AM   #1

ktshobe HB User
Any recommendations for new pain meds?

Good morning everyone - I am sure somewhere in these threads there has been discussion on pain medications, but I am not sure what to look for...

So I thought I'd ask, I am currently on Tramadol which I take about 3-4 times a day. I have noticed lately that my pain is increasing, so I think my body isn't taking the medication the same way any more. Rather than increase my dosage, I was thinking of switching meds. Do any of you have a good experience with a similar type of medication? I would like to know so I can go to my doctor's appointment with some good information.

I know that we are all different, but any suggestions would be much welcomed!

Hello to fellow New Englanders! Yeah snow!

-Katie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 01:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User
Re: Any recommendations for new pain meds?

I am on naproxin (sp?) right now, also have ultracet, but it totally upsets my stomach & I can't tolerate it.

Sorry, the ultracet works great for me, it's the vicodin that upsets my stomach & I can't tolerate it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

The choice of just what pain meds would be appropriate really depends on the pain generator and the types of pain you are having and the severity.also is it a constant type of pain?does it come and go?a little more info from you would really help.Thanks,Marcia

Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

My pain management dr just prescribed me ultracet - for my it doesn't touch my pain, so I don't bother taking it. you should contact your dr & ask if there is something else he can give you. good luck
~M~

Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 PM   #5

ktshobe HB User

Marcia,
I think the pain generator is from my spondylothesis. I have 2 degenerative discs as well, which the discography revealed were causing pain, but I had no luck with nucleoplasty or IDET. It is a constant pain, which gets aggravated when I over do it.

I was just hoping that if anyone had a good experience with other meds, then I would feel better about the doc recommending it. I have tried so many things, that I can't even remember.

Katie

Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Are you currently taking any of the anti siezure meds like neurontin or something else?also the tricyclic anti depressant s can be useful.these types of meds actually calm down inflammed nerve endings.Its always good to be on several different types of meds in order to give you a little bit better coverage of the pain receptors.has you doc ever mentioed any type of long acting meds like oxycontin or ms contin?These are ideal for 24/7 chronic pain and will give you a more consistant type of relief as it is spread out over time.i really think that your best bet here would be to see if your doc would refer you to a real good pain clinic.They have many many modalities to try along with the ability to Rx you more specific types of meds that are better geared for your type of pain.They can just offer you a much wider range of therepies and meds that other docs can't or wont.I really do think that it would be in your best interest to at least give a pain doc a try at this point.I suffer from three seperate pain syndromes mostly caused by nerve and spinal tract damage during surgery to the inside of my spinal cord.The worst one is the RSD in my knee through my foot.pain levels there most days are really off the chart.I did not find any really good relief from this hidious pain until I hooked up with my current pain doc.I don't know what i would do without him.Luckily for me,the entire staff at my p clinic are just wonderful and very caring.I would definitely discuss this option with your doc.Just a suggestion.Good luck,Marcia

Old 01-31-2005, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

fibrolady HB User

I agree with Feelbad, the best pain medications and relief came from my pain management doc, who was not afraid to prescribe Methadone to me, and later Morphine for my chronic pain.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Like feel bad i have iused both oxycontin andms contin with good resuts.

Losy

Old 01-31-2005, 10:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=ktshobe]Marcia,
I think the pain generator is from my spondylothesis. I have 2 degenerative discs as well, which the discography revealed were causing pain, but I had no luck with nucleoplasty or IDET. It is a constant pain, which gets aggravated when I over do it.

I was just hoping that if anyone had a good experience with other meds, then I would feel better about the doc recommending it. I have tried so many things, that I can't even remember.

Katie[/QUOTE]

Are you taking an anti-inflamtory for the degen. discs? I know you shouldn't be on them long term, but they may have muscles near them inflamed & the naproxin i take also has some pain reliever in it. I have 3 degenerative discs in my neck and am going to start decompression therapy for them.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:33 PM   #10
(female)

Jillians HB User

Hi there. I have taken quite a bit of different meds. Tramadol made me really ill. I take MS Contin and it helped bigtime for about 8 months and then not so much after that. Switching meds can be good for that reason. Some of us react to them differently than others. Do you see a pain management doctor? I also take Butalbital which is a barbiturate. It can help as long as I back off it from time to time. A pain management doc is the best for helping you get the right meds. Have you tried vicodin? JILL

Old 02-05-2005, 04:49 AM   #11

ktshobe HB User

[QUOTE=Jillians]Hi there. I have taken quite a bit of different meds. Tramadol made me really ill. I take MS Contin and it helped bigtime for about 8 months and then not so much after that. Switching meds can be good for that reason. Some of us react to them differently than others. Do you see a pain management doctor? I also take Butalbital which is a barbiturate. It can help as long as I back off it from time to time. A pain management doc is the best for helping you get the right meds. Have you tried vicodin? JILL[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I have tried vidodin, which did help, but I am in the military so they tend to frown down on those drugs. I might ask about MS Contin. I finally have a 2 level lumbar fusion scheduled for 28 February, so maybe I won't need much pain meds after I recover! I am tempted to stop all pain meds prior to surgery so I can remember what the pain feels like, but that's a scary thought. I have tried anti-inflamatory meds with not much luck. And elavil, and neurontin, on and on....

I am always amazed at how different drugs affect people differently.

Here's to a good weekend!!

-katie

Old 02-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #12
(female)

epidural05 HB User

I agree with you 100%! These Drs. who are giving practically nothing for the pain do not realize what we have to deal with. I am also new to this board. I am going to a pain mgmt clinic & it has certainly given me a better quality of life. As long as you take the meds as prescribed, they are a life saver!

Old 02-05-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
(male)

hhandy52 HB User

i hate to say this,but i have had 9 or10 lower back and 2cervical disc surgeries.
I was on lorcet for many years and as my tolerance became higher my dr. kept changing my meds.I am now on 80mgs of oxycontin and 5mg tylox for break thru pain.The deal is the longer you are in pain the harder it becomes to receive the right amout and the right kind of drugs for the pain.
It is an issue you need to seriousl discuss with your dr. If you have constant pain like i do you will have to decide if you want to be on these pain killers for the rest of your life.It was a hard decision for me,but after many yrs of constant suffering i decided i didn't wish to suffer any more,and after i accepted that i have been ALMOST pain free for several yrs now.
I wish you well on your decision,but truly think on it hard.
GOOD LUCK

Old 02-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #14

grbrren HB User

Hi,

I was on Vicodin ES for over 4 yrs. Recently, I began seeing a new pain management doctor and he suggested I stop taking the vicodin immediately b/c of the level of acetaminophen in it. He said it is a huge contributer to renal system failure if you take it long term. Per his advice, I switched to oxycodone, which is the active ingredient in vicodin. I get 60 5mg pills a month and usually bite them in half (oxycodone is not time released like oxycontin), so 2 pills a day. This works very well for me. Once in a while if my pain is worse, I'll take a whole but it seems to have an effect on my short term memory and concentration. Overall, I'm very happy with them and from what I've heard, they are a little more safe than the vicodin es. Good luck finding what's right for you!

Closed Thread