It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User
Can I do this without help?

Hi - I'm new to the site but am having a CT myelogram tomorrow to determine amount of stenosis. I fell at work 3 mos ago and conservative treatments are just not working. I have pain and tingling in my left left down into my foot and some days are really awful. I'm taking vicodin for pain - 1/2 pill at a time - so far it's working for me (Kinda). I should say it keeps the pain under control but doesn't remove it. The MRI showed osteophyte at l5/s1 and herniated disk plus DDD.

My neurosurgeon is indicating surgery and I'll know for sure after tomorrow. My question is: I have a 15 yr old son and 10 yr old daughter at home - single mom - will we be able to manage without any other help? Will I be in bed for days after surgery? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here - but I just have a feeling. Thanks in advance for any guidance. Becky

Old 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: Can I do this without help?

Becky, if your children are willing to pitch in and help, I think you will be okay. Some of your recovery would depend on what type of surgery you have but getting up and moving is part of getting better. If you do have surgery, do as much preparation as you can. You can make things alot easier with a little planning. Good luck!

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

Perhaps you are getting ahead of yorself but better to ask questions now and be better informed if surgery is the reccomended course of action. as others have stated your recovery will be dependent on the type of surgery you have. Your chidren are however old enough to take on the responsibilities required to support you. you will be limited in terms of what you can and cant do post surgery. if your kids are willing and supportive of your decision Im sure together you can get by

losy

Old 01-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mkf HB User

Thanks for your responses. I guess I'm just more nervous than anything else - finding this site was so helpful!

Closed Thread