It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #1
(male)

canman23 HB User
P/T time

I start p/t today. My MRI showed L5 L4 bulging disks and a very small tear on L5. What should I expect with p/t ? How long will I do p/t and will it help?

Mike

Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User
Re: P/T time

They'll most likely start you off with heat or ice and electronic stim (which sends impulses into your back). They will give you excercises to do to help streghten your abs, and they will also give you some streching excercises. Then they may do some manual massage. Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
(female)

alexcasper HB User

Mike-
I love PT even though [U]it's very hard at times[/U]! My therapist said the average number of visits was 10 -16. My therapy consists of stretching and lower back exercises. It's helped rid me of my pain. For me, the exercises my therapist gave me I must do daily. I'm amazed that that if I go 2 days in a row without doing them the pain comes right back. I get back on schedule with them the pain goes away. Good luck with your therapy.

Kim in Indy

Old 01-24-2005, 07:11 AM   #4
(male)

canman23 HB User

Kim I am in Noblesville.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
(female)

alexcasper HB User

[QUOTE=canman23]Kim I am in Noblesville.[/QUOTE]
Really! Finally someone from IN, lol. We come very close to Noblesvile frequently, the kids enjoy going to Conner Prairie. I know you're starting PT today but if you decide you want a different therapist let me know, mines wonderful. I live on the westside of Indy. I also [U]love[/U] my NS. I have been so blessed with very compassionate dr's.

Let me know how PT goes.

Kim

Old 01-25-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
(male)

canman23 HB User

Kim, have you had surgery? Also I am looking for a good back Dr. You know any? Imight have to go ahead and do surgery so, I am looking for a good Dr.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:44 AM   #7
(female)

alexcasper HB User

Mike,

I had a microdiscectomy on l5-s1 last March. I don't regret having the surgery at all. I went to Indianapolis Neurosurgical Group. I know they have a website. My doctor is Dr. Carl Sartorius. Whey my GP told me my only other option was surgery I asked who I should go to. He told me the only person he would recommend is the guy who operated on his own back! Every test I had done at the hospital the nurses would all say "Dr. Sartorius is your dr. he's the best." My husband went with me to every appointment and he answered all of our questions without ever making us feel rushed. His nurse is wonderful also. His office is at St. Vincent's on 86th street. Feel free to ask me any more questions.

Kim

Old 01-25-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Not all PTs believe in the stim.

All of them do believe that the key to a stronger back is strengthening the core. You'll do a lot of ab and hamstring exercises. A good PT will also have you doing upper body exercises, as it's important to condition the overall back, not just the sore parts. It all works and functions together.

I also never had ice during PT. Heat, yes. Heat is necessary to loosen and relax the muscles.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=canman23]I start p/t today. My MRI showed L5 L4 bulging disks and a very small tear on L5. What should I expect with p/t ? How long will I do p/t and will it help?

Mike[/QUOTE]

One caution, if anything they have you do at PT "hurts" do tell them. It shouldn't hurt & if it does, they can adjust what they are doing or any exercise they give you. Some PT's are too agressive in wanting you to do too much too soon. Just let them know if you feel they are pushing you too fast.

Closed Thread