It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Radio Frequency Lesioning...

Anybody ever have this? Since I had a successful medial branch block, they've just informed me that they are going to do radiofrequency lesioning on me. What is that? Has anyone had this with success? I don't want to be undergoing some type of procedure that's still experimental...am I avoiding the inevitable in doing this? I have DDD in L4/L5 with herniated disk...is this something that should help me, this RFL? I've had this problem for three years now and am so desperate to try anything to get rid of the pain...

Old 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Radio Frequency Lesioning...

Hi No I do no know much about it, but I am sure someone will pop in with info soon, did you try the pain manag. board too I go over there from time to time maybe someone will have answers there as well.
Shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #3
(male)

Dozen400 HB User

My mom and I have both had this done -- I had mine about a month ago. My mom has had five or six of them. Supposedly they last 6 months to two years -- in her case it has been closer to six months, but it does the trick pretty well for that particular pain. However, the nerves grow back and they fray and grow multiple connections, meaning the chance of effectivity decreases with each successive procedure.

I had mine a month ago -- after a week, I felt better than I had in a long time, and had about 3 solid weeks. Five nights ago the pain came back full force, so I have some concerns about this. My medial nerve block was succesful as well...but this rhizotomy (same thing) didn't seem to do the trick.

Basically, this isn't a cure. Realistically even if it works, at most you would get 10 years out of it, and I have a feeling the real average is much less. If you use that time productively to build up your core and your health, you may be able to very positively influence the rest of your liife.

The procedure itself is cake, especially if you've had medial nerve blocks. The hardest part is when they inject the local anesthetic -- that always hurts as the liquid expands in your muscle tissue. Beyond that they just validate if you feel certain things -- although your age and condition have a lot to do with it. Being young (25), everything was where it "Was supposed to be" according to the doctor, and they didn't have to retry any of the six sites. On my mom it has taken them a try or two on each site before they get the right spot. If they offer you a general anesthetic, I'd take it if for no other reason than to prevent compulsive jerking -- it sort of numbs your mind to the process.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
(female)

aestrella411 HB User

Thank you VERY much! With me, they did the medial branch block on five different levels on both sides of the spine. Does that mean they will repeat this as well as insert the heating needle for a total of...20 pokes? What did they do with you? I'm not well read on this procedure and am very curious. I don't mind being poked so many times, I would just like to know if they generally repeat that same thing as the medial branch block only using the radiofrequency thingy...how long did the whole thing take you?

Old 04-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
(female)

leebar HB User

I am schedualed to have this proceedure in May. I am VERY aprehensive about the WHOLE thing. A few years back I had a bone marrow biopsy from my hip. I was given "twilight sleep" and remember everything including the PAIN. How bad is the pain?
Thanks,
leebar

Closed Thread