It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User
Help, I'm outta drugs!

Okay, so despite the pharmacy on-hand, I mainly take oxycontin 10 mgs 2am 2pm (pre-op was taking 5 mg am/pm).

Got home from 1st day of work, took a nap, woke up after the drs office was closed, went to take my pills and Uh-OH! All out!

I thought I had 1 more day, Last week when I knew I was getting low, I called & the nurse said they mailed a refill script Thurs so I wouldn't have to drive in to get a new perscription. It didn't come in the mail today, and I didn't freak out (mostly because I was asleep) until I went to take my evening pills (I take 20 mgs in am and 20 mg pm) from my weekly/daily pill thingly and realized I was out (I was sure I had enough until tomorrow). By then the dr was closed... of course. So no oxycontin today, or tomorrow morning. I can call at 9:00 when they open up, and then drive there after work (noon) then refill it and hopefully have them by 1:00ish!!!

I feel like a drug addict - I was looking all over hoping to find a dropped pill, or one in the wrong bottle...No luck. NOTHING works as well as these pills. Until these nothing even touched the pain. I am really scared.

So, cold turkey for about 18 hrs. I have Tylonol 3 and Percs, but can't really take those and work....UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by StMishl; 01-24-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Help, I'm outta drugs!

If it were me, I'd call the doc after hours (either him or his on-call doc will handle it) and ask them to call something into a 24 hour pharmacy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Thanks for the reply, unfortunatly it doesn't work that way with this one.
Oxycontin can't be called in - because the "class" it is it has to be hand written each time (no refills, no call ins, no nothing). Thats why she was mailing it to me.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Hopefully you will get the prescription tomorrow. Do you have anything else you can take and still function? One thing you can try is using some ice to keep inflammation down. Good luck!

Old 01-24-2005, 06:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User

MMM - a hard wa y to learn to check your medication supplies regularly. I to learnt the hard way and had to go without for 24 yours. I increased my relaxants withiun he limits my dr had given me to help with the increase in spasm - good luck and hang in there

Losy

Old 01-24-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

well just as an FYI ... you can have 4000 mg of tylenol in a 24 hour period.. so if all else fails.. pound those to get you by - and instead of taking them every 4 hours, take them at 3.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

didn't ya learn from me??? JK my dear. I know how you feel and it sucks sucks sucks. Atleast you don't have to deal with four days like I did. Hope you get them sooner than later!

Old 01-25-2005, 04:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Have you called the pharmacy at all?I know that when they mail Rxes out of my pain clinic, they send them directly to the pharmacy, not my home.Just a thought.Marcia

Old 01-25-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
(female)

misery HB User

Hi,
I'm new to this one but if you have the percs, take them they are a narcotic so it will help some and you should't have to much withdrawl.
Good luck.Misery

Old 01-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Well I went in today and got them about 11:00 and feel better now.

Slept like poop last night and hurt bad today until I got them (only made it 2 hrs at wk instead of three, then felt too awful to continue). I think I got about 3 hrs sleep total

You know, I thought my back was doing okay, but without the pain meds I realized how bad it still is when I am drug free, and to tell the truth, it still is REALLY REALLY bad. Like I couldn't catch my breath bad...

I don't know if this is from the surgery, or what. I'm praying its too early that the surgery didn't work. But my hip pain is still there bad... please tell me this will go away. At what point do you know if you are not going to get any better?? Because if my no oxycontin pain level (what I was feeling this morning) is as good as its going to get - I am SO, SO in trouble....

Old 01-25-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

If you are hurting this badly, you should call your doc and see what he says. Maybe get an xray just to make sure everything is OK in there. Also, are you sure you're ready to go back to work? Some extra recovery time may help you out. Keep us posted!

Jessie

Old 01-25-2005, 07:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

you may be having breakthrough pain. Keep this in mind too, the hip pain may come and go for the rest of your life, especially if the sciatic nerve is to blame. Just b/c the discs are gong doesn't mean the nerves aren't still irritated. That could be forever. I remember after my micro-d I had a car accident three months post op. Prior to that I was feeling good (I had flown to NO to see hubby, his dad had died and we were driving back to airport). 24 hours after the accident I had pain all over again and I thought I had reherniated. I went to the ER then saw my dr. HE explained that when ever I would have a sudden unexpected movement, that the nerves will pull instead of stretch due to the scar tissue around them, not to mention any inflammation already present just b/c of all the years of pain.
Anyway, what I am trying to get at is one-you were going without meds, which before could have been masking that hip pain, and two-it may be something you will always have here and there. I get bouts of sciatic pain in my hips and groin still and my dr said that was normal (keep in mind I did have the xray and ct and all was normal). Maybe it is too early for work just yet? I can't go without my pain meds at all, and heck no if I leave the house. Just my thought-could be way off, but never hurts to mention it.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Thanks for the suggestions and support guys.

I'm just starting to get scared because w/out the pain pills (total of about 18 hrs) I don't think I was any better then pre-op - and maybe even worse. My back hurt SO badly, and my hip. I had the surgery to avoid becoming a perm. user of drugs, I hope I won't have to stay on them forever after the surgery.

Work doesn't seem to be a problem, except that mentally I feel like an idiot - 6 weeks off has evidently melted all of my brain cells.

I guess i'm really scared of not fusing - at what point do they know if that has happened? and if you don't fuse - what then??

Old 01-25-2005, 10:29 PM   #14
(female)

Dwiggie HB User

Hi There;
I am coming in on the tail end of your last few days, and I know what it is like to be with out your pain meds.
But----isn't Percocet or Percodan the very same medication as Oxycontin?
I thought Oxycontin is the same medication, as the Percs but with out
the acetaminophen (Percocet) or aspirin (Percodan) combinations?
Really---I'm not trying to be nasty or put you down. It just might help to know that in case you were ever to run out of your Oxycontin or vise versa.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

ST, I wanted to apologize for my post! It wasn't very supportive and I didn't word it right. It came off very un-sympathetic. Please accept my apology!

Closed Thread