It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

Meridith HB User
New here and seeking input

In August I was walking and there was a step down that I was unaware of. I just kind of crinkled and my lower left back hurt. It lasted alittle while and eventually I was only having pain once in awhile. Recently it has been REALLY bad. It is on my very low, left side of my back and sometimes I feel it in my knee but not down the back of my leg. Is this my sciatic nerve? pinched nerve? It hurts when I sit and at night when I try to get comfortable in bed even when I lay on the opposite side. Regular tylenol does not touch it and I can't take advil because I have GERD. Any suggestions? Is heat better or ice or ????????????????????? Any input would be so appreciated.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: New here and seeking input

well, I first want to say welcome though I wish it were under different circumstances. My therapist (physical) told me that ice was better than heat, but others say heat THEN ice. I don't know. After surgery I iced, but now I lie on a heating pad and it does help, but the problem that caused most of my pain is now gone too-two discs. Have you seen a dr to get xrays and an MRI? that would be my first suggestion-you can't truly treat something (meds, exercise like PT or ice) if you don't know what is wrong. I say get to a dr, get these two studies done and take it easy. I found ice, heat and warm baths were good. Can you take Aleve? I wish you well and hope you are pain free soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

Meridith HB User

I have not been to the Doctor only because I am trying to recover from all my "GERD" bills. I have insurance, but it is not great. New Year, New deductible. It is getting to the point where I am going to just have to go. It brings tears to my eyes and I need to do something. Thanks for your response and well wishes.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 PM   #4
(female)

misery HB User

I was told that miost heat is better than dry so put a dmp towel on top o fyour heating pad. Ice as well because it helps with the swelling of the tissue.My pt.told me ice 1st for swelling !%mi on then20 on till it feels somewhat better than miost heat.
Good luck.

Closed Thread