I went to my Family Doctor today for the clearance for surgery. He said he will give me the clearance if I want, but he checked on my spine and read all the reports except the MRI's, he didn't have them.
But he told me my PM Doctor (he knows her) isn't the brightest Crayon in the box!
He took away the low dose Norco and put me on Demoral, he asked me to give it one month. If the Demoral works, great. If I get SOME relief, he can adjust the dose on my next visit. If NO relief and my back is still going out, then he will agree the surgery is nessessary.
But for me to keep in mind, that NOBODY is EVER completely out of pain, who has had the surgery.
And if I can get SOME relief with no pain during the month, then using pain meds would be a better idea. Even though it won't stop my back from going out, it WILL stop the pain, whereas Norco did not.
So I guess I am going to keep a diary of what my back does during the next month, and see how much more use I can get out of my back before I HAVE to have surgery.
These Doctor's are making me crazy, but at least this one has known me and my situation for 15 years. And he is only asking for me to try a stronger pain med for 1 month.
better be careful, your PM doc can refuse to see you now since he gave you other meds.
So let me get this straight, he put you on a HIGHER dose of pain meds and wants YOU to postpone surgery to see if it helps aleviate some of the pain? If this is right, that doesn't sound right at all. If not, could ya explain a bit more to me?
My Doctor thinks that if I take the Demoral ONLY when my back is out or in severe pain (as needed only 25mg for everyday pain and 50mg when my back is out).
Well, I don't know Mel..
It's confusing, but at the time it made sense. To just give it one month on a different pain med and if it works when my back is out or the pain is the worst, at bedtime, etc. That I might find out I can go without the surgery for awhile longer, as long as the Sciatic Nerve is not a part of the problem.
But said: Once I have the surgery, it can never be reversed and I will never have ANY pain free days. There will aways be pain, even mild pain from the surgery.
I thinks he is trying to buy me more time, maybe years if he thinks he can do it.
HOWEVER, if it does NOT help when my back goes out, do the surgery anyway. I think he just wants me to try this first.
and it that does,t work then will he try to switch again and wait another month, and so on, i played that game with my doc's for awhile also and you need to make the final say and just get it done. I know you are scared as i was 7 days ago, but trust me it is better on the other. we will be here but the surgery choise is up to you, Just ask yourself, How many months do i have left to play this crazy game.
But does this mean you would have to take Demoral everyday for the rest of your life?? Remember also there are many people who may only have some mild pain. I know it is a catch 22 no matter what. But if he is saying to take Demoral forever that is alot to ask anyone. Unless that is o.k. by you. My reason was to stop all the meds. I could get by taking them all but at 34 I did not want to do that forever. I hope you are able to find the right choice for you. Did you sign a contract with the PM though?? Just BE CAREFUL PLEASE do not give anyone any reason to say you did not follow the rules. All they do is check the pharmacy to see if any other scripts were filled. Remember to watch out for yourself sweetie and like I told someone else yesterday we are all here for you
May you have a painfree week
Stardust, you have to make the decision that is right for YOU. Not the decision that works for other people. We will support you in whatever your decision is, but PLEASE make sure that you are confident in your choice! One thing you may also want to consider is the effect of long-term pain meds on your body. Some of them can have bad effects on your liver, stomach, etc. I am not trying to sway you one way or the other, but I just want to make sure that you do the right thing for yourself. Remember, we're here if you need us!
I always give PM back the meds I don't use or that make me sick. I left a message for her last week with her #1 Nurse and was promised a call back on Friday about my pain meds. Here it is almost Wednesday and still no call, and I have called her twice since yesterday.
I don't remember signing anything, but she did take my picture, as she does with everyone.
I hope this is not a game, I really DO want the surgery! I am NOT scared of it anymore either.
I see PM on Friday and will ask her opinion since she told me also not to have the surgery and I want to know why she said that.
Monday I see the surgeon and will tell him what is going on. I also want to know why he hasn't had the surgery, he has the same problem I do and to the same extent.
I haven't taken any pain meds in 4 days now. I only take them when absolutley nessessary. PM can verify that, since I almost always give her the whole bottle back, except when my back goes out, then she gets about 1/2 of it back when I no longer need it.
Otherwise she does not prescribe anything else.
Stardust I know you must be fighting so many decisons, but do know we are here to support YOU We are all fighting what to do.. what is right .. what will work... what if it does not.. and you are right there are no guarantees. So keep us posted on what you are thinking and what you decide . And the surgery options is alway there later , too.
I am not playing any Doctor games here. One month is ALL he's getting, and if my back goes out before that month is over, my surgeon said he will go ahead and do the surgery on a dimes notice.
No, I don't take pain meds of any kind, until I have too, so I know they will work. So far nothing has worked, so he did raise me to 50mg of Demerol and took me off PM's Norco. WHICH I am not telling her about.
No, there is never a guarentee. BUT I have already decided on having the surgery, I will try to wait one month though, but not for him, but for ME. My Grandson's Birthday, Thing's I don't have in order yet. and so on.
Time is going way to fast and I don't have enough time it seems.
I got a call from my step-daughter in Indianapolis and she wants to fly down here and take care of me when I come home. Funny, how she is closer to me than the other kids, including the big one (hubby )
but she won't be able to come for 3-4 weeks so it might work out perfect this way anyhow.
If you only need the meds here and there, then I think you are on the right track. I chose my surgery b/c I needed my percs every four hours just to feel okay. But, I have gone two years with on and off pain with vicodin if I needed it, but really, I never did unless I traveled, especially flying. I just couldn't spend the next sixty years taking percs every four hours. SO, your back "goes out" instead of "just hurts all the time", is that right? Do some of your own research on Demerol/Morphine versus other Narcotics, I don't think they are much different. What did your PM doc have you on previously?
I think you are doing what is def right for you and def have a good chat with your surgeon. I am not sure about your personal doc's motives. I wish you so very much the best and you will do what YOU need to do. We all do (I LOVE to be redundant!! JK)
And Yes, I do have daily pain, but it's more of a bad achy pain. My back goes out alot, but also leaves alot of days it is ok.
My back is not going to get any better. But for now I don't live on pain pills.
But when I need them, 4 hours apart is too long between doses.
PM had me on only 5mg of Norco, then recently raised it to 7.5mg. I don't understand her, cause when my back is out, I call her crying & hysterical and she tells me to take 2 of them every 4 hours and lay flat on my back, which takes 4 days for it to go back to where I can handle the pain without the meds.
Why not prescribe a stronger pain med?
What my family Doctor did today was give me Demerol instead, because all he had to do was poke here and there on my lower spine and sent me through the roof!
Ever since I was in his office I have had a bad achy back (Thanks Doc )
He asked me if the Norco worked, I told him, no. He asked how I was sleeping- I laughed- What sleep? I toss and turn with an achy back all night.
So he decided I needed the Demerol for pain and PM is way too causious (sp?).
Grrrr your post just frustrates me; I can only imagine what it's doing to you.
First of all.. I am pain free after surgery. (For all intended purposes, my prior back and leg pain is gone and as soon as I'm fully recovered all other minor aches and pains will be gone to).
Next.. why does your family doctor get the final say in whether you have surgery or not?
An last....if you wait a month...most surgeons would want to repeat tests. (Or at least some will). Would hate to think you'd have to start back at square one just because some egotistical doctor thought he should have the final say in all this.
I'm so confused... WHY did he have to give you clearance?
I had to see an MD at my pre-op apt.. but it was the general MD from the hospital...and that was just to be sure I didn't have any heart problem, or infection of any sort etc. I had never even seen him before my pre-op apt.
I agree that it is your decision to make, but I'm glad you are doing it for you and only for a month. Be careful with the demerol, research it first. There is a guy on the pain management board named shoreline, who seems to know a lot about medications. I remember reading one of his post where he said Demerol is not typically prescribed for long term use because of the risks of seizures after prolonged use.
I am also very happy for you that your step-daughter is willing to help you. That is one less worry for you.
First let me say, whatever your opinions are, are welcome. I do not and will never judge or be upset about anything you feel I should know or look into.
The frustration you feel, I totally understand, multiply that by 10 and thats what these Dr's, Surgeons and PM is doing to me as well.
The only thing my Family Doc did not have today was the MRI reports, and I know as well as you, he has no right to decide anything, not knowing what the pictures show, letting him know the real pain of the "slipping disks".
My Lumbar spine feels like I am trying to balance a marble in there and it keeps sliding out of place.
But I do have alot of days with just an ache, I can live with. He does not have the final say, he is only a DO and has no idea what I am going through right now.
I still agree with my hubby, my back is going out more and more and it's not going to get better on it's own.
But the decision to wait one month (4 weeks to the day) was not an easy one. BUT would help me alot, by giving me a little more time to get things together.
My Stepdaughter volunteered, I never asked her to fly down here, she is so sweet.
Yes, I have spoken to Shoreline before, he is very intellegent about these things on here. His only problem, is he doesn't like my surgeon. (bad vibes).
I was also thinking of the Fam Doc, as far as waiting too long, he mentioned it not being nessessary unless my foot was dragging, THAT upset me! Why would I want to wait that long??? Then I would have Nerve issues to deal with on top of everything else, and turn a simple surgery into a nightmare.
The Demerol is on an "as needed" basis. Knowing me, after one month is up, I will still have over half a bottle or more left.
The last time I saw my Surgeon, not too long ago, he told me nothing would change if I needed a little extra time to get things together, since I wouldn't be able to do them after the surgery. And Feb 2nd and March 2nd is only 4 weeks to the day difference.
My Grandson's 2nd Birthday party is here at my house, I am the one with the room, parking, fenced in backyard for the kids and I really don't want to be stuck in bed or in so much pain, I can't enjoy it.
As for the Pre-op testing, He wants it done by my family doc, thats the general rule here in town. However when I am ready to go ahead with the surgery and he disagree's, I will go to the registration dept and the Doc there will do the clearance for me. BUt they prefer the family doc to do it since he knows you best.
I am trying guys, I really am. My surgery is still set for Feb 2nd, I see the surgeon on Feb 1st to ask last minute questions (which I have alot of) and to register with the hospital. I am not going to cancel that date or change it until I see him on Tuesday and talk to him ( He told me before, we could change the date, even the day before the surgery if I needed more time). I have 6 or 7 days left, a Birthday Party to plan, didn't buy the slip on shoes yet or the t-shirts, there just doesn't seem to be enough time, I rushed the dentist, now my partial isn't right. I have to get these things done and out of the way first. And my dentist is down the road from the Superbowl, they are already closing streets, but I have to get back up there and have him fix the partials.
I am doing these things for me, so I don't have to deal with anything after the surgery and can go into it without worry and with a positive attitude. I can't honestly go into surgery not prepared. A few weeks won't make a difference to my back, but it will to my Grandson on his Birthday, and give me a couple extra weeks to finish buying what I will need for after the surgery.
Sometimes I feel like I am going crazy, but I am trying to get things in order.
Postponing the surgery sounds like a good idea considering all the things you want to do and can't do if you have it now. I just was concerned your doc was pressuring you to cancel it all together. My primary told me my problems didn't warrant surgery. AND, if you remember, I had that abnormal chest xray and she would order my ct unless she saw me and this was the day before my surgery. She really made me mad. Anyway, no matter what you do you know I always wish you the best and if you listen to your body, you'll make the right decision for you!
I woke up this morning with bad spasms, A sign I know all to well. If I move in just the right way, my back is going to go out today.
Guess I didn't expect it, not too. But I really hate not knowing when this is going to happen.
At least this morning I have a LITTLE notice!
By Monday I will be fine again, back to a little ache.
I have to start getting things done, FASTER. IF my surgeon has any plans for a vacation or anything coming up, I am still having the surgery done on Tuesday. He might not have the one month to spare right now, I won't know till I see him on Monday. That's one reason I am not cancelling until I actually talk to him.
Well, not cancelling, just changing the date.
OK, GET A GRIP GIRL (me). I can handle this like every other time it has gone out, just ****'s me off. I CAN do this, I see one of the doctors today, so I will let them know and I WILL GET THROUGH THIS, AGAIN!!