It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
(male)

Caz72 HB User
Discogram tomorrow 10am -- What to do?

Everything I am reading about this discogram is that its extremely painful. Has anyone here gone through this? Getting 3 discs checked out and I'm SO not looking forward to it. Also, I wasn't given any instructions except to show up at the hospital at 9:00. Can I eat breakfast? I don't wanna get there and then have them say I have to reschedule because I ate. Am I going to be able to walk out of there ok? Will I be all better in a few hours? Am I getting anesthesia? Anything you can tell me about what to expect I would appreciate.

Thanks.

Cazz

Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
(female)

memawhurts HB User
Re: Discogram tomorrow 10am -- What to do?

Cazz,
I will give you my experience. I was told not to eat after midnight, but I could drink. I was also told not to take my pain meds because they are trying to recreate your pain. I was told I would also need a driver and to bring a pillow with me.

After I got there they took me back and took my blood pressure, temp., and respirations and pulse. After that they started an IV and gave me antibiotics. Then I was taken to another room placed on my stomach, blood pressure cuff and heart monitor applied. They cleaned and draped my back. They gave me Versed, which helps you to relax and is supposed to make you not remember as much. I had 3 levels done also. They started the procedure and with each disk they ask if you have pain and if you do they want to know if it's the same type of pain you have normally. It to me was the same pain, but to be honest, it was multiplied by 100 times. But it only takes a few minutes and as soon as they were finished, they immediately gave me, I believe, Fentanyl and Toradol. After that they take you to another room for a CT scan to see if any of the dye is leaking. I had to stay for, I think, about an hour and they gave me 2 lorcets for the road. It is painful, but well worth it. It was the only test that showed what my problem was. I'll also be honest and tell you I had increased pain for about 3 days after, then the pain went back to normal. But others have said It wasn't that bad and were back to normal the next day. So who knows, it's like everything else, everyone is affected differently.

Good Luck,
Memaw

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

for me: MY TURN !
I could not eat or drink two hours prior to my appointment. If you want to be on the safe side, atleast do that.
I took pain meds that two hours before just in case.
I had three discs done too: L3-4, 4-5, and 5-1. The first disc was my "control" it was a good disc, the last two were degenerating. I felt pressure and little pain on the top disc. On disc two was when the pain got bad. It felt like a knife was jabbed into my back and then like someone electrocuted me. The pain went across my buttocks and then shot to my feet. I started crying then, no bawling, and didn't stop until my first injection on demerol. I was told it was no big deal, but for me it sucked. I was unable to move my lower body until after my FOURTH inj of demerol. It may be totally different for you though, all of us are affected differently. I think so much depends on the disc and your symptoms. I had pain for appx 24 hours. It was enough to feel like I had a micro surgery. But, I was given pain meds prior to it so it was manageable. I hated this procedure, but I would do it again if it would help diagnose a problem. I wish you the best tomorrow. When you can, let us know how you fared.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh, you will be able to walk, they won't let you leave until you are safe to do so. THOUGH, you will have limitation afterwards on your activties. No general anesthesia, but they do give you something to relax you, not knock you out though, they need you awake for this procedure. I don't know the exacts of this I was hurting too much. ANyway, any more questions feel free to ask.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

Mine was the same as everyone else's. But when the versed and Demerol did not take the pain away, I was given Morphine by injection, which did help a little, after a couple days you'll be glad you had it done, since they will know exactly what is causing your pain.
I think the whole thing took just a few minutes for me.
They also NUMB the area's where they will be using the needle's, so you shouldn't feel anything at all until they hit a bad disk, but as soon as they take a quick picture and know it is the SAME pain, you will get pain medication through your IV so it works quicker.
I would have mine done again in a heartbeat. That's how much it helped.
Stardust

Old 01-26-2005, 04:40 AM   #6
(male)

Caz72 HB User

Thanks a million times, Mema, Mel, and Stardust! It helps a lot to know a little about what is going to happen. I'm a little less nervous now. Pain, shmain. I loff in the face of pain now after all these years of disc problems (j/k). Well... I'm off.

Last edited by Caz72; 01-26-2005 at 04:42 AM.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Cazz... my discogram was a piece of cake. It wasn't a biggie at all. I had the humane approach though.. where they gave me drugs to calm my nerves, then used anesthesia to put me out... brought me around after the needles were in place, did their dye injection, waited for me to scream, then put me back out. I walked out of the place when it was all over and I had come around.. feel a bit woosie but only because of the meds, and by the end of the day I was fine. The next day I was achey a little bit it was more a tenderness not a pain.

Hope they are going at this with the same approach. My doctor says there's two ways to do this... the Cowboy approach and the Humane approach. Let's hope your doc doesn't wear boots.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
(female)

barbara413483 HB User

I had this procedure done seven days ago and back still hurts.thy did find the problem and now i will have a nother thing done called an IDET next week that is suppose to stop all the problems i have with the pain in the lower back and numbness in my leg.I could not eat after 12 midnight the night before and they gave a local anastisia to me nothing after the diskgogram for pain i have pain meds at home tho.I was able to leave half hour after it was finished.and they said the back pain can last up to two weeks.and it is trying to stay around that long i think.(I have a trick I do before I have these test they are not knocking me out for i stay up the night before so I will be sleepy and they when they give me something mild i fall out any how they have to wake me up.)I felt nothing they where doing till the end when they pumped up the disk to give me the back pain and leg pain.they woke me up to tell them what i felt.I went right back to sleep when they finished and woke up about 15 minutes after they where done.Hope you have had good rresults with yours.

Closed Thread