It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 07:36 AM   #1
(female)

PeachJam HB User
Talking Thankful I found this board

I just found this board yesterday and am so excited. I wanted to “tell my story” before I started posting so that everyone knows who I am.

In 1999 I was stop at a red light and rear ended by a drunk driver. My car was half its original size after the accident. I know that there was something watching over me that night because the only area in my car left intact was the driver’s seat. The engine block stopped inches before coming into my lap. All in all I thought I was going to be fine, I was 19 and had my whole life ahead of me. Little did I know that I didn’t die that night but the life that I had lived was over.

After tests and tests and more tests, (accident to surgery was a little over 2 years) and countless doctors telling me that I was crazy I was referred to a Pain Mgt doc. luckily he decided to perform a disco gram to confirm that there was nothing “fixable”. The disco gram showed that there was a tear at L5-S1 that was causing a significant leak. The MRI never showed any hint of this, the disc was slightly bulged but not enough for the drs to be concerned. I underwent a full fusion with bone graft (from my hip) and within weeks was doing significantly better. In fact within a year I was 95% pain free, I thought I had finally made God happy and he had rewarded me.

I refer to those 2 years as the dark years. And they were, I was depressed, angry, every emotion in the book. My boyfriend of the time (my husband now) was insane to have stayed with me, but luckily he did. By the time someone told me I was a candidate for surgery I was ready to show up with bells on.

Fast forward to today….

6 months ago I began to experience an increase in pain and symptoms. Luckily this time I was armed with all the information from the last time. I knew what test to push for and how hard to push. At the end of December we received all the results, and they are basically the same as last time. L4-L5 has slight bulge but is torn. And here is the kicker my original fusion at L5-S1 never fused. I have been walking around on a cage for 5 years with virtually no pain. The disco gram confirmed that there is pain in 5-1 so the thought is that possibly something is loose that can’t be detected on the MRI.

So I am waiting to get a surgery date for a 360 fusion of 4-5 and a revision of 5-1. I have good and bad days both emotionally and physically. I am on a high level of opiates and have all the side affects associated with them. Overall I feel that I am dealing better this time than last, mostly because I am not so angry. But I am more depressed.

On top of this mess my life is one bucket of stress. I am no longer working due to my back. In the past 6 months I have had 2 deaths in my family, one of which was very traumatic. My sister has terminal cancer and my father is also dying. My husband and I moved to Boston for his job 3 years ago, all my family and friends live in OKC which means I have a very small support group available to me.

My hope with this board is to not only give support and advice that I have learned over the years but to receive support that only someone in the same position can give.

I hope to hear from all of you and form fast friendships!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 08:34 AM   #2

KerriNH HB User
Re: Thankful I found this board

Hi PeachJam-
Welcome to the boards. I am not a big poster but I read the boards everyday and it helps. It is actually my husband who has the back problems-spondylolisthesis, stenosis etc...
When I read that you are from Boston I had to write and ask what Dr. you are seeing. WE live in NH only about 40 min. form Boston. My husband has a 2nd opinion in Feb. at New England Baptist hospital.
Sorry to hear all you are going through!
Kerri

Old 01-26-2005, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

HipChiq HB User

PeachJam,

Welcome! I'm fairly new here myself, but not new to a bad back and surgeries.

So sorry to hear about the sorrows you've been enduring. I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my prayers.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
(female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User

WOW, welcome to the board. I am a newbie myself. I see you have exactly what is going on with me. Rearended in 1982, chiro for last 23 years and now I have a bulge with tear at 4/5 and arthritis at 4/5 and S1. How did they determien that surgery was appropriate for the 4/5 right now? They are giving me shots instead to start with. Do you have sciatica pain too? Well, welcome to the board!

Sandra

Old 01-27-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Thanks for the replies!

KerriNH.. I am having surgery at NEB and that is where my surgeon’s office is based. For PM I am going to St Elizabeth’s. What dr to you have an appointment with? I know most of the orthopods there, they are all highly recommended it just depends on what you want done as to whom you should see. I do highly recommend St E’s PM clinic they are wonderful. NH is not that far of a drive (St E’s is in Brighton) and the dr’s at the clinic are all very experienced and educated. Let me know if you need any info on docs at St E’s. I can also tell you what I know about who you have the appt with at NEB.

Greenacres…. I did have diagnostic shots at 4-5 as well as the other tests. I think my case is that the previous injury was identical to this one so they feel that the disc will behave in the same manner as last time. I have to have 5-1 revised so they decided it is better to take care of everything in one shot. What kind of shots are you having?

Old 01-27-2005, 08:20 AM   #6
(female)

stpatsangel HB User

I understand all your frustration. I had to have a laminectomy in 2002 and -Tnow have a bulging disc at T7/T8. I just found this board this morning and can't believe all the stories. I am going to see my spine surgeon tomorrow for results of an MRI I had done last night. I wish you all the best. And never let anyone convince you that you are crazy.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Peach-I am sorry you are going through this and I understand where you are coming from. I am recovering from a 360 L4-S1 fusion and none of my friends are here in LV either. They are all atleast four hours away and I never get to see any of them. My mom is in MO and my hubby is the only person I have and sometimes I also wonder how he has managed this and why he married a lemon. He was with me when I had my first surgery in 2002. We weren't married yet and we were still in MO. These days I feel lonely and bored and wonder what kind of life is ahead of me. I am glad I had the surgery, infact, the discs were def causing my pain and with them gone there is such a difference. But, I have neck problems too and we haven't even begun to treat that yet. I haven't worked since July and am angry now that I have to apply for SS benefits. I hate it b/c it makes me feel worthless and at 27 I am physically old beyond my years.
I don't have any great words of wisdom, just wanted to give you some support. Best wishes for you when you do have your surgery.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:42 AM   #8
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Mel1977

I cannot believe that we are so close in age. I have never met anyone with the same type of problems as me that was not a lot older. In fact I constantly get that at the PM office the “aww you are too young to be here” comment. Don’t you just want to punch someone when they say that? Of course it is worse for me because without makeup I look like I am 17 (not that I am complaining specifically about that)

By the way how are you doing with housework? I am having a lot of trouble with it and since I don’t work anymore I feel that I should be doing everything. I don’t have human children (just animals) so I think that makes it a bit easier. Of course now this is extra worry for a pregnancy because of this.

Well 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #9

KerriNH HB User

HI PeachJam-
My husband has an app. with Dr. Robert Banco. He came highly recommended from someone my husband knows who has had surgery with him. This is for a 2nd opinion, but it definately looks like a fusion needs to be done. He has been going to a spine clinic in NH but I was able to go with him to his last app. and was not crazy about the Dr. at all. I felt so rushed in asking my ?s. It would be so convenient if he had the surgery in NH because we have 3 kids and don't laugh at this-I'm afraid to drive into Boston!! So I told him I wouldn't be visiting much!! Nice wife!!
Nice talking with you

Old 01-27-2005, 02:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I manage okay with housework, put I push myself too much sometimes. I get those comments too, but for me, well, I brought it on myself with work and that is hard to swollow sometimes. But, yeah, the "too young" comments I get all the time (my patients think I am like 20; WITH makeup!)
I don't have children either, well, I do, but like yours they are the furry kind. Two cats and my little chihuahua. THEY are my babies. They can be hard to take care of when it comes to certain things, but much easier than human ones. One reason I had my fusion was so if I decided I wanted to have kids, I could carry them to term. If the discs stayed in, I don't think I could have.
Well, there are a few of us on here pretty close in age, so anytime you need to talk!

Closed Thread