It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
need advice asking doc for different meds

i've been taking hydro 10/325 for a year now. it just isn't as effective. i have to take more and that scares me. i've heard that percocet might be a little stronger and might mix it up and give me some relief without taking so much. is percocet that much harder to get. i have a torn disc per the discogram. he knows i'm in pain. would it be appropriate to ask and is percocet going to be stronger. is it work it. please help, jayboy

Old 01-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #2
(female)

Valley HB User
Smile Re: need advice asking doc for different meds

I'm no expert on pain meds, but I would think that after a period of time that any meds would not be as effective. Tell your doctor that it isn't helping like it should and ask about percocet.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: need advice asking doc for different meds

you need to use that exact paragraph and ask your doctor the same way.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Is Hydro the only med that you are on? Different meds work on different pathways. For example Ibuprofen and Tylenol work differently in the brain so it is best to take both. Valley is correct after a certain time period your body builds up a resistance to the medication, however I am not certain if hydro initially helped you or if this is recent.

The other issue may be what type of dr is responsible for meds. Is it a PM or a surgeon? Each typically has very different approaches to medication. There are tons of different meds out there and yes that are all at different levels with different DEA requirements but if you tell you dr that the meds are not working they should immediately change them.

What are they doing for your disc?

Old 01-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User

i had the percutaneous discectomy where they heat the disk up and shrink it. it didn't work. that was about two months ago. starting pt soon. insurance takes for ever. is percocet stronger than my hydro's. thanks

Old 01-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
(female)

PeachJam HB User

I had that same surgery last time, didnít work for me wither. Turns out that after talking to several drís here the results of it are not very good. Strange that the results arenít positive but they are still doing it.

Percs are a step up from the hydro but they also come with side affects. Are you working? Driving? Need to concentrate on exact numbers etc? It all depends on how your body metabolizes meds as to whether this would be the right choice for you. I never had a problem working on stronger meds, but I know other people that are on half the dose I am on and can barely talk to their dogs.

Again, I am not sure what you are taking but I would suggest getting an anti-inflammatory especially if you are going to begin pt to prepare for surgery.

Let me know if I can be of anymore help. Are you planning another surgery of pt first?

Old 01-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

I skipped the percocet and asked for morphine sulfate, a slow release med that you only need to take twice a day. I moved up in strengths as I tried to find the one that worked for me. The Primary had no problem with this.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
(female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

i find the percocet stronger than the hydro.

I take percocet for stabbing nerve pain (still doesn't kick it but does take edge off) and take the hydro for overall back pain when I'm not in as much pain but enough to need something to stay sane. Percocet really knocks me for a loop, so I start with half a pill, then work up, as needed. My doctor has had me in percocet for 7 months. At 6 mons he put me on hydro instead but told me to keep the percocet for the level 9 nerve pain.

Frankly, I cannot function with these drugs. Can't do numbers or anything. Can't remember anything. Go around in a fog all day on those days I have to use them, so I try not to. can't find anything to take t he pain away. Feel like i have no life. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

ladybird, I also have no life anymore. The pain meds put me in a fog too, cannot drive nor do I want to most times, as I'm in too much pain.

Closed Thread