It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User
I overdid it!

I keep forgetting I'm only 3 weeks post-fusion. I went to work this afternoon (I teach horseback riding lessons) because I had to meet the vet for a routine physical for a school horse, and then went home again for about an hour. That part wasn't bad, but then I went back to teach a little later and the same horse (who had been PERFECTLY fine during his exam) was really sick. To make a long story short, I was at the barn for about 8 hours with him, walking him and trying to prevent him from going down and twisting his intestines. I did have some help, but they had to leave after a while. My back is now very tired and sore from being up for so long. I finally got to come home a few minutes ago, and I took a pain pill and put some ice on it. I'm sure it'll be fine, I just needed to vent a little! I've been doing really well, but I'm still kind of frustrated I can't do things like a normal person yet! I'm not the most patient person in the world, and I want to be better NOW! Thanks for listening- I'm going to go rest for a while, since I have to go check on the silly horse in a couple of hours (around 2 AM- yuck!).

Jessie

Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: I overdid it!

wow, sound just like me Jessie, with the impatience of not being normal yet that is. I know what you mean though about keeping an eye on the horse. My mom has six ( I lived with her until I moved to CA w/hubby) and she has had days and nights like that too. I hope you do feel better and make it through without any major pain or inflammation. Let me know how you are doing. Can you take tomorrow off?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 10:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Sorry you overdid it! Take a nice evening off (can't somebody else go check on the horse at 2am??) or work for you tomorrow?? Don't let the pain get over the top or its hard to get back on top of it. You are doing so wonderful - remember to take care of yourself and let others take care of you!

Ice, pain pills, heating pad (if that works - sometimes rotating the ice / heating pad works for me) and rest!!! NO for a few days!!!!!

Sending feel better thoughts your way!

Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
(female)

memawhurts HB User

Jessie,
I'm so very sorry you are having to deal with this. I hope things get easier for you and you start feeling better soon.
Best wishes,
Memaw

Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
(male)

songer99 HB User

Ha...the classic warning given to us "bad-back" people. Don't overdo it. Gotta love it.

I haven't had surgery yet, but I do have an L5-S1 disc bulge...I am only 30 and I have cut out certain activities that I'd love to try more of (skiing, water skiing, snowboarding) because I don't want to make my back worse. In essence I am afraid of "overdoing" it. But this is just a personal choice I've made, and I am still happy about it. Obviously, working with horses is something that you love, and is NOT something you should give up.

I can just about do whatever I want without pain, but I still have to be careful. Funny story, just the other day I had a longer than usual workout at the gym, lifting weights. I felt some soreness in my back afterwards, and felt a little "twinge" at home when I stood up from a sitting position. I immediately broke out my heating pad and layed down on it for a while. Yes, on that occasion, I overdid it.

I think this is the life we now lead. But it sounds like you are doing great...keep on doing what makes you happy and don't let your back rule your life. But remember...don't overdo it!! - LOL

Old 01-27-2005, 06:41 AM   #6
(female)

Madonna HB User

Wow, you are lucky you can do that much three weeks post op! My husband is going on nine weeks post op and he cant do much of anything yet.

He did go to PT yesterday and they had him walking pretty fast on the treadmill. He said he was sore today from it and I was glad to hear that. It means he is using his muscles. The PT guy told him he was walking too slow and he should walk faster to help break up the the scar tissue.

Old 01-27-2005, 06:55 AM   #7
(female)

misery HB User

I am so sorry that you over did it,You must be doing pretty good because at 3 weeks I was barely off the couch. Try to take it easy,cause if you over do to much your surgery isn't going to work!I know because I'm also a stubbern person and wanting to be normal fast,wich is why my 1st.surgery didn't work because I did things all the time when I wasn't suppose to good luck.H

Old 01-27-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Thanks for the support! Unfortunately for me the silly horse was still not well last night or this morning, so I spent a 12 hour day there today as well as some time last night. I am so worn out I can't believe it. I've done this many many times before, and not been this tired! The surprising part to me is that my back doesn't hurt much, it just feels like it doesn't want to hold me up anymore. So I'm finally home, and unless the person I asked to check on the horse tonight calls me I'm home for the night! I'm pretty sure we're past the worst of it (we should be, the vet was out 4 times), so I am taking the day off tomorrow. Talk to you soon!

Jessie

Old 01-27-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

well, glad you are okay and of course, glad the horse should be too. I know what you mean about the back just not wanting to hold you up any longer. Take care of your self tonight, and just chill in bed. That is what I am doing after an exhausting, long, stressful stupid stupid day. Getting a massage tonight after dinner, and boy do I need it!

Closed Thread