It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Numb Pinky Finger...

Normally I write on here for my lumbar back problems however, I've been having this strange symptom for about two weeks now. I don't know if it's something I need to be concerned about and that's why I would like to know what you guys think on here. Well, for the past two weeks, my pinky has been numb. I don't know if it's a symptom of carpal tunnel but it's just my pinky finger. I have been having the darndest time typing with this pinky like this because I am a typist and my job requires that I type really fast really well with no mistakes. Is this something that I need to be concerned about? The only possibility I could think of is that mabe the ulnar nerve is being impinged somehow...how could it be impinged? It can't be from my upper back. I don't have any pain there. Occasionally I do have pain there but it's usually from stress. The pain I get in my upper back is just between my shoulder blades. Other than that I just don't know what else to think about this...it's just numb. The side of my hand is also numb that holds the pinky. I have some feeling in my pinky but all I feel is that tingling sensation. It's very close to just being completely numb...should I be concerned? Any thoughts are VERY appreciated. -Anita

Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User
Re: Numb Pinky Finger...

Just a bit of info. Carpal Tunnel does not affect the pinky finger. I found that out from my neuro when I was having that it comes from a nerve in the neck or from TOS . I hope this helps a little
shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

when I had arm pain and hand/finger issues it was b/c of a pinched nerve in my neck. I have a very sore stiff neck with tons of muscle spasms and so on. Anyway, I had an EMG and nerve conduction test to see if I had any nerve damage relating to my neck or lumbar spine and I had a pinched nerve in my neck. BUT, one thing I do remember is that Neurologist wanted to rule out carpal tunnel and after the test the lady who did the conduction part said she saw no evidence of that. SO, if you really need to have it checked out, see a neurologist and they'd probably order these tests for you. Good luck!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 PM   #4
(male)

avglenn HB User

I usually post also because of ongoing low back /sciatic problems. But since I've had the back issues, have had some neck issues too, between the shoulder blades. On top of this I have my pinky fingers and ring fingers go numb in my hands where eventually both hands go numb. I noticed it mainly at night, when my elbows are bent. I also have had pain in palms/ wrists and sometimes elbows. An emg revealed higher resistance in my elbows, everything else was normal. So at this point the Neuro. is thinking ulnar nerve impindgement. Just thought I'd share & give some ideas.

Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
(female)

aestrella411 HB User

Thank you for your responses! So is this something that needs/could be fixed?

Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
(female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User

Sorry for being dunce, but what is "TOS"? Thanks.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

It is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome..some people might have it by having a extra rib in the cervical area.
shelley

Closed Thread