It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Hmmmmm

Lately I have been having localized pain-anyone else get this about 7 weeks post op? It seems to be right at where the hardware would be. The area there is sore when I lie down (like I am lying on something) and I can manipulate the area and it hurts. My muscles in my back hurt today b/c I was STUPID last night and decided my spazmatic cat needed his claws clipped and I had to hold him down on the floor-I was bad, brace wasn't on
Anyway, that area is def in pain and I hope it goes away. The other issue-am I over doing the pain meds? I usually take two when my pain starts or I know I am going out. Then I might take one more in the afternoon to hold me over and one or two at bedtime depending on my pain levels. I got my meds filled on the 11th of jan, and they have got to be over 1/2 empty. Granted, I was taking tens before and now I take 7.5s. I don't know. I am afraid that I will need a refill but the time isn't long enough to need it yet and I am afraid--- well, I don't know.
How is everyone else doing PAIN wise between 5 and 7 weeks post op? I'd say right now I am a 6 on pain, I get up to 8, never more. I can be at 2 or even 1 sometimes. Mostly sit in the low between 4-7. HEck, I don't even know. I hate describing my pain b/c it can't be accurate. Pain can be so different-different kinds different areas-some nagging, some acute, some just soreness.....who knows. ANyone have any suggestions, thoughts or anything you want to add????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: Hmmmmm

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

You know, it may not be a bad idea to ask about longer lasting, except I would rather not have to take them unless I NEED them, which is why sometimes I take two other times one. BUT, with my neck a problem too, who in the heck knows, I sure don't. I don't take Lortabs anymore, I have been taking Percocets for the past three months, but could go down to them I guess, (lortabs are also hydrocodones right?). Anyway, we'll see. I don't want to see the dr again unless I absolutely have to.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

PeachJam HB User

After my first surgery I had that alienish feeling in my back at the op site. I would swear that I could feel the screws with my fingers but my dr swore that I was feeling the displaced muscle. It took me a long time before I could lay on something without padding.

I would discuss the pain meds situation with your dr. I know that there are concerns with using long lasting meds but I personally prefer them. Are you on any sort of anti-inflammatory? Just Ibuprofen and Tylenol on a regular basis can significantly help. The other thing that you might consider is instead of taken the medicine on an as needed basis take it on a schedule, such as 2 in the am, 1 mid morn, 1 afternoon, etc. Having a constant level of meds in your system does help a lot of people.

Hope you and your cat have made up! On a side note I have 2 ferrets (yes I know they are strange but I love them) I decided the female needed her nails cut and long story short it took her some time to forgive me!

Old 01-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I just bought a ferret tshirt for my chihuahua!
I can't take ibuprophen, that is one thing we aren't supposed to take with our fusions. Goose (the one who got the manicure) forgave me right away. He stressed out and lost so much hair, but was rubbin on my leg right after. Finally, he is getting better.
I do have muscle relaxers, but no anti-inflammatories. It doesn't feel inflammed, just sore.
I was wondering too how many of you out there took your pain pills how they were written. Mine are one to two every six hours. Well, I take two then need another by four hours. Didn't so much when I had the percocet tens. This is one reason I am going through them faster, I think.....

Old 01-27-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:31 PM.

Old 01-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

That is a pickle You know I know about the neck and back stuff. Well 5weeks is still early, How many do you get at a time. is it your surgeon or PM writing the scripts now? I was on the Lortab 7.5 twice a day now I am back to the Norco 10 after the surgery 14 days ago. But I told them today I can not get a good Number on pain wise because I have had no neck treatment yet either. And like you , you end up taking meds for both. Did they lower your dose or did you ask to lower it to the 7.5? post back
shelley

Old 01-27-2005, 04:08 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

my pm doc had me on percocet tens before surgery, and I was given 120 for a month. After surgery, I was given Lortabs, I can't remember but I think they were tens. Then, I had that set back and we (dr and I) decided to use the Percocets. That was good, then after I ran out I asked to drop down to the 7.5. He did not ask to see or speak with me at all. I just don't know if I am over using, ya know?

Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

If you asked to drop and it did not work be honest ...i know it feels weird and I do not know why. When I went today they could not believe i am still working with all of the crap I am going through. But I have three kids that have to eat each day so I just have to suck it up and go to work. The other patient they have who is having similar problems can not work at all , I guess it all depends on doing what you have to do and go on to the next day
We are the ones suffering yet we have to rationalize why we need relief hmmmmm does that make sense. I will be happy to switch bodies with any of them judging my pain how about you
shelley

Old 01-27-2005, 08:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

oh surgeon gave me 120 on the eleventh..... I hurt like hell right now. We prob can't move and I have been stressing all day. We have to board the cats til uh, maybe Wed, we have to stay in a hotel, we have to rent a storage unit, and basically move our belongings TWO TIMES! We are so angry and I am washed out. I am emotionally drained and had a great angry cry after we realized we have to dish out appx two grand b/c they didn't get the "funding varification" and they knew we had to move out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! UGH! Well, that raspberry margarita I had is making me a tad bit sleepy. And I didn't get my massage, had to cancel b/c they overbooked. What a crap day!

Old 01-28-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Mel, I'm sorry you had a crummy day! Try to get some rest, and take some time for yourself. We're here if you need us!

Jessie

Closed Thread