It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 03:37 AM   #1

iearnmom HB User
EMG information

I am scheduled to have an EMG on Feb 4th. Has anyone had this test done and if so, what does it consist of and how painful is it?

Old 01-31-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
(female)

fibrolady HB User
Re: EMG information

If that's the test the Neuro does to check for nerve damage, then I've had it. As I remember, he used little tiny needles, attached to some kind of stimulator, and went up and down my arms, legs and shoulders. There was some dstinging ocassionally, but that's all. It's not considered an invasive procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #3
(female)

lindabobinda HB User

[QUOTE=iearnmom]I am scheduled to have an EMG on Feb 4th. Has anyone had this test done and if so, what does it consist of and how painful is it?[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I had an EMG done 4 months ago, it was a little painful at times but it wasn't to bad. I had my left leg and arm done. The first part of the test felt like little shocks at varies parts of my leg and then my arm. Then the second part was when he put the little needles in at varies parts of my leg and arm. That part was a bit more painful to me at certain muscles. I did have little bruises from the needles but I am very sensative and bruise pretty easily. All in all it was a bit uncomfortable but it wasn't to bad. The good thing about the EMG you will know right there and then what nerves are damaged, etc.
I hope things go well for you! Good luck.
Take care,
Linda

Old 01-31-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I had all four extremeties done-it was very uncomfortable for me b/c he'd stick a needles in my muscle then ask me to flex and he'd move it around. Mostly it just felt like a cramp. It didn't hurt until he did my left shoulder where we found a pinched nerve. That was very painful, and the tears flowed on that one. But, over all it really wasn't bad. Wish you the best!

Old 02-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #5

iearnmom HB User

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now knowing what I'm in for. My EMG is going to be in my low back and near the SI joint. It think it's unfortunate that a person has to go thru such an array of tests before the Drs. can actually find out where the pain is coming from. I sure hope they find it with this EMG. It has been 1 year already!!

Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

jdlfmc HB User

I have to sat that the EMG for me has been the most informative, I have suffered now for close to 6yrs and have had all kinds of test, inj. procedures, ect and nothing helped or gave us the answers we needed, they finally did an EMG and it showed the S1 nerve is blocked. Why who knows but it is not operable or repairable. So I am having a SCS implanted for the pain.
The test EMG wasn't to bad at all and most worth it to finally have answers. Good Luck.
Linda

Closed Thread