It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #1

bob c. HB User
6 months post fusion and going skiing tomorrow

hi all,
i felt like a positive post would be good for all the other post-op people like me and for those thinking about surgery.

6 months post-op double lumbar fusion. i've been back to work for about 2 months (carpenter), working out with light wieght for about 6 weeks and feeling alot better every week!. tomorrow i'm going skiing for the first time post-op (with doctors permission of course) i'm very excited and a little nervous. i will take it very easy, wish me luck and i hope all of you are feeling better today then yesterday!!!!!

Bob C.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
(female)

Valley HB User
Talking Re: 6 months post fusion and going skiing tomorrow

I'm glad that you are doing so well, my surgery is scheduled for Feb. 28th, and I just hope to be able to go out lunch and shopping with my best friend. Right now, I am in so much pain that I can't walk or be on my feet for more that 5-10 minutes. Have fun on your skiing trip, and be careful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: 6 months post fusion and going skiing tomorrow

Ok Bob.. see you on your new thread..."big mistake, now back for more surgery"

6 months post op? Fusion? Glad you're feeling better, but use some sense, man!

(Don't you just love how opinionated I am? HA)

Old 01-28-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Good luck and have fun, but be careful. I am 4 months post op from a micro-d and I have been snowboarding 4 times this year. I am very cautious but I am having a blast. I would not have gone without my surgeon's okay though. He also told me I couldn't take jumps anymore.

Some people have questioned my decision making when I told them I have been up on the mountain but the way I see it is that first, my doc gave me realistic limitations on what I should be doing and second, I will not give up my active lifestyle. If I get hurt again, at least it will be doing something I love!

I guess it is a balancing act. Risk vs reward. For me, the reward is worth the risk.

Alan

Old 01-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #5

bob c. HB User

hi Alan,
i agree with everything you said, let me add that my doc told me pre-op that i would be able to resume all activities in due time. i would of put off or thought differently about surgery if this was not the projected outcome.

next up for me........resuming playing hockey (non-checking of course) good luck to all

Bob c.

Old 01-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Micro-d and FUSION are at two opposite ends of the spectrum.
Apparently 6 months is due time Bob, do you know if you're 100% fused yet or not? Just curious.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Wait a minute your skiing???????????????I am doing something wrong!!
shelley

Old 01-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #8

StarAngel3 HB User
Thumbs up Re: 6 months post fusion and going skiing tomorrow

Bob,
Wow you are really doing good.Way to Go!!! Remember though your back is still not normal, so be careful. I do like to hear those positive stories..Thanks..StarAngel

Old 01-29-2005, 09:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

That is RISK-AY! Especially since a fusion isn't solid for a year. Are you sure you are going to do this. I'm with Hunni, I think it's totally crazy but what would the world be without crazy people, right?
Good luck to you, I'm glad your feeling so well!!!

Old 01-29-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Fusions arn't solid for 24 months actually so yeah, be careful, you dont want a second one believe me..

Old 01-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Be careful...you don't want to go through all of that stuff again! Once is enough! Keep us posted- let us know you survived!

Old 01-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #12

bob c. HB User

to all,
i'm back from skiing and everthing went great!! i did take it extremly easy, i only skied on intermediate and easy trails and called it a day around 2 pm. i know i still have along way to go till i feel 100% but this weekend tells me i'm well on my way. i did take one fall on the slopes and the only problem was getting up. was not as easy as it used to be, the upper body and back strength was'nt there but i will keep working on that stuff. i hope and pray that all of you can oneday write a positive post about resuming some kind of activity you used to enjoy. its almost unexplainable to say how good it felt to ski when 3 or 4 months ago i did'nt feel like i could ever get this far with recovery.

p.s. TxHunni...my doc said i was 100% fused six weeks ago and this past friday he said i could not undo the work he had done so go skiing!! i know some people would not agree but thats what he said.

take care and good luck to all,

Bob C.

Last edited by bob c.; 01-30-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

of course your doctor would tell you to go.. he wants future business HA.

Glad you made it through it ok. Long term will tell.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
(female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

Oh this is positive news I am hoping I will ski again too. Good for you. This is exactly why I had the fusion. There were things I couldn't do before and my doctor said that I could do anything after the surgery. I bet you feel just great knowing you could ski, fall, and be OK. Good news!

Old 01-30-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Congratulations!! I'm glad to hear that you were able to get out and have a great day. Be carefull though!! It is still early. Take care of yourself . Kristy.

Closed Thread