It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 09:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Unhappy Going to Professional Councelor/Psychiatrist....Even More Aggravated!!!!!

Ok All.... I told ya in one of my posts a while back how my Pain Management Doctor sent me to their in house Professional Councelor/Psychiatrist dealing with pain.... To talk to him about my depression due to my pain and such..... I have gone to this guy for 2 visits... and when I came out of my second visit, I was more frustrated and aggravated then before I went.....basically this guy is telling me that my pain is comming from stress, and tension and that basically if I learn breathing techniques and learn how to relieve the stress, and tension, then my pain will pretty much subside.... and I probably wont even need my pain meds and this and that........ WRONG!!! my pain is comming from the nerve damage I had from the nerve compression before surgery... BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! and the stress and tension is comming from dealing with the pain on a daily basis, and having to go through this crap with MetLife and will they pay me or wont they pay me? and this and that.... Thats why I am depressed, and stressed, and tense... you name it....he is also telling me that I am depressed and stressed from not knowing what I am going to do with myself as far as a career after my back pain is gone.... I never told him I was stressed about this.... actually this hasnt even been on my mind lately... I will cross that bridge when I get to it.... I mean this guy is basically pressing me to think about what I want to do as a career... and have some ideas in mind when I come see him next week.... I DONT KNOW!! never thought about it....

I mean it is like, I am sitting here telling this guy, I am really depressed, and stressed, and tense, from THE PAIN! and dealing with the other stuff... and such... and he is basically saying...."NO! you are having Pain because of this stuff!" I even tried to tell him... When I take my muscle relaxers at night... I am WAAAAYYYYY! relaxed.... but I still have the pain.....He heard none of it....

What do I do?? Any suggestions???

Thanks All

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: Going to Professional Councelor/Psychiatrist....Even More Aggravated!!!!!

Rose.. did you TELL him this is what your stressed is based around? Did you tell him you breathe every day and it's not helping (Ha).

I think at the next visit I'd lay it on the line to all of them. Tell them the pain is real, stress or not. That the initial pain comes from the nerve and that the stress comes from none of them willing to do anything about it. Then I'd tell them they have a choice, they get your money or someone else will. Remind them that they are in the business to help people and at this point you don't feel you're being helped. Let them know you have a list of other doctors willing to help you and while you don't care to start over, if it means getting better, you will.

That's my advice.

PS.. Come to Plano... my doc wouldn't let you suffer! He's wonderful.

Last edited by TxHunni; 01-28-2005 at 10:39 AM.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #3

heidi23 HB User

[QUOTE=TexasWildRose04] I was more frustrated and aggravated then before I went.....basically this guy is telling me that my pain is comming from stress, and tension and that basically if I learn breathing techniques and learn how to relieve the stress, and tension, then my pain will pretty much subside.... and I probably wont even need my pain meds and this and that........ What do I do?? Any suggestions???
[/QUOTE]

God I am so sorry you had to listen to that. People like that give psychologists in general a bad name.
Please believe me when I say that not all psychologists and psychiatrists are like that. You might have to hunt around and try a few before you hit gold, but there are many fantastic ones out there. When I was in college I had an eating disorder and was severely depressed, and I cannot say enough about how much my psychologist helped me recover. Likewise, there are ones out there who won't tell you the pain is all in your head.
You need to tell your doctor that this psychologist is not acceptable to you. The psychologist is NOT doing his or her job, and someone needs to be told. If the hospital does not have another psychologist for you to talk to, or another person just says the same crap, then refuse, and tell them why. They are NOT helping patients when they're doing that, and that's ridiculous. You might also consider reporting him to the hospital or state board. That might sound extreme, but I think that's incompetence when they do things like that, and to think that this person is doing this to a lot of patients...

If you want to talk to a psychologist (which can be a great idea) and can't find an effective one through the hospital, I would look around on your own for one.
You might also consider talking to your family doctor about trying an anti-depressant - those can be EXTREMELY effective, even at small doses. I have taken Zoloft at times when my anxiety level is really high, and does wonders for me. Different anti-depressants work for different people, so you might have to try more than one. But the nice thing is that today's anti-depressants have very few, if any, side effects.

I wanted to add that if your doctor gives you any crap about not liking the psychologist, tell him that you consulted with someone who knows what they're talking about in this regard, and that that person said that kind of thing is ridiculous.

Last edited by heidi23; 01-28-2005 at 03:35 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=heidi23] You might also consider talking to your family doctor about trying an anti-depressant - those can be EXTREMELY effective, even at small doses. I have taken Zoloft at times when my anxiety level is really high, and does wonders for me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks you all for the input and the adivce... really do appreciate it..... Heidi23....Yeah, I have been taking Zoloft for about 2 months now... sometimes it seems to help, and then others I am not sure, guess it just depends on what is going on that day and what I am dealing with.... Glad I have you all I can express my frustrations to and vent.. that helps alot.... Again Thanks...

Take Care.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
(female)

misery HB User

Rose,the one thing we forget in all this is money.Wether its our side or there's.If they can get you to think that it's all in your head then they can pass the buck to you, see then its your fault that you are having problems not the docs.they do everything can to pass the buck and it's a mean cycle.Don't let get you down.I do agree with the other poster file a complaint and see if you can find onther doc!
It is true that relax breathing will settle you down but it no way gets rid of pain(kindof like lamaz)!
Don't let'em win,we are here for you. Heather

Old 01-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Texaswildrose,

Do you wake up in pain? Does pain make you wake up?

just curious

Old 01-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Quietcook]Hi,

Having had friends who have had mild problems with depression, they can tell me why they see their doctors or I can relate to the fact that they have a chemical imbalance which causes their problems. So, please, I don't want to insult and I'm not juding. But may I ask what you expect to get from seeing this guy if you are not convinced that your pain is caused by the tension, stress and depression? Would you not be better off seeing a physician who can treat the physical problem, so that you would not have to suffer from the problems caused by the constant pain?

I do hope you find relief from the pain and all the problems soon. I know it is a rough road and please know that we are here pulling for you all along the way.

Quietcook[/QUOTE]

Hi Quietcook... No insult taken... but the reason I am seeing this guy is because my Pain management doctor told me he wanted me to, because of the depression and tension, and such I am dealing with from the pain... And dealing with MetLife ( My LTD insurance company yanking me around) and this and that.... believe me, I have seen a Physician/ Physician"S"...several of them... about the problem that is causing my pain...Had the Testing... several MRI's..with and without contrast...... EMG/NCV.... Myelogram/CT.... had the surgery... had the ESI injections, Physical therapy.... Medications... You name it.. they are now to the point that they say that my pain is caused by nerve damage and that it will take "TIME" and meds to heal.... and they say they have about exhausted all the avenues to help with my pain, other then just trying different meds...trial and error... and this and that, and waiting it out to heal, or see if I will heal.....

So because of the depression, tension, and the stress of dealing with this pain on a daily basis, and dealing with whether my LTD Insurance is going to pay me or not, and jumping from doctor to doctor, and being evaluated to death and this and that...my Pain Management doctor suggested I go and talk to their Councelor/Psychiatrist....but by no means am I even a tiny bit convinced the my pain is comming from the depression, tension, and stress... I believe all that is what is causing these other things.... The therapist is the one that is trying to convince me otherwise....

Again, No insult taken.... thanks for the input....

Take Care.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]Texaswildrose,

Do you wake up in pain? Does pain make you wake up?

just curious [/QUOTE]

Hi Betty.... Yes... I wake up in pain.... it definately does wake me at night... and this medication they have me on... Methadone... and also Zanaflex at bedtime, sedates me to the point that I am knocked out pretty soundly.. but if I get up to go to the restroom, or turn over and the pain hits me or what have you.... I wake up....My PM Doc had ask me the question yesterday at my appoinment... "Do the pain meds help when I am awake?" I told her, "Well when I take them, they knock me on my butt and I am asleep, but when I awake at night for one reason or another I am still in pain... so I would have to say NO! they do not help the pain"....

But to answer your question... Yes.. I wake up in pain... and Yes the pain does make me wake up.

Thanks for the input.. appreciate it...

Take Care.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:55 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Old 01-30-2005, 11:10 AM   #11

heidi23 HB User

In your case, relaxation exercises and stuff might help, but it was wrong for the doctor to tell you that the pain is just all in your head. You're in pain because of your back, and I know from experience how much constant pain and the frustration of your situation can cause you to become depressed.
It might help to have (another) psychologist to talk to, because that in itself can help. But unfortunately in your case, a psychologist can't ``fix'' the root cause of your pain.
Psychology is most effective with people whose ``thinking'' or thought patterns have ``gone wrong'', so to speak, which is the case with eating disorders and most cases of depression. A lot of people fall into patterns of what's called ``global thinking'' and ``negative reinforcement'' and things like that, where their way of thinking reinforces their depression, and it becomes a cycle that someone needs to point out to them and show them why it's not logical and that it's not true.

I don't know if meditation or yoga would help at all, but it might. I know a guy who always had bad back pain, and he said what finally helped him more than anything was yoga.
But if don't think the Zoloft is helping much, you might ask your doctor about raising your dosage (assuming you're not on the highest dose) or trying another one. A different anti-depressant, even one in the same class, can work even if another didn't.

[QUOTE=TexasWildRose04]Hi Quietcook... No insult taken... but the reason I am seeing this guy is because my Pain management doctor told me he wanted me to, because of the depression and tension, and such I am dealing with from the pain... And dealing with MetLife ( My LTD insurance company yanking me around) and this and that.... believe me, I have seen a Physician/ Physician"S"...several of them... about the problem that is causing my pain...Had the Testing... several MRI's..with and without contrast...... EMG/NCV.... Myelogram/CT.... had the surgery... had the ESI injections, Physical therapy.... Medications... You name it.. they are now to the point that they say that my pain is caused by nerve damage and that it will take "TIME" and meds to heal.... and they say they have about exhausted all the avenues to help with my pain, other then just trying different meds...trial and error... and this and that, and waiting it out to heal, or see if I will heal.....

So because of the depression, tension, and the stress of dealing with this pain on a daily basis, and dealing with whether my LTD Insurance is going to pay me or not, and jumping from doctor to doctor, and being evaluated to death and this and that...my Pain Management doctor suggested I go and talk to their Councelor/Psychiatrist....but by no means am I even a tiny bit convinced the my pain is comming from the depression, tension, and stress... I believe all that is what is causing these other things.... The therapist is the one that is trying to convince me otherwise....

Again, No insult taken.... thanks for the input....

Take Care.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by heidi23; 01-30-2005 at 11:11 AM.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #12
(male)

larry2210 HB User

i know exactly what you are going through. One new anitdepessant that i've started taking is very new and helps with pain. it is called cymbalta. I hope you get better soon.

Old 01-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Texaswildrose:

This has to be a structural problem then and not muscles. I wake up pain free, but as soon as I shower or take the dog out, pain strikes. For awhile there, pain was waking me up but that stopped so I figure that it involved muscles, in my case. Stress causes muscles to tighten up and become painful, but when waking up in pain, I think that unless you did something that was really strenuous, muscles can be ruled out.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Pain is really depressing.

take care,

Closed Thread