It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
The new ADRs are in town

A couple of weeks ago I noticed an announcement in our local paper that some of our more prominent Neuos and Orthos were going to be receiving training in the use of the new ADR's. There was a nice write up about them.

Then, last week, there were seminars that one could attend, free of charge to learn all about them. Get more information, just in case you had a problem with you L4/L5 or L5/L5, single level fusion only cases. This was being offered as an alternative to fusion. It was a *come on down* piece.

Today, in the local paper, there was another article, the ADR is being offered by these very same doctors. You can call in and make an appointment.

This puzzles me. They only received training a few weeks ago. This is all new to them. Who wants to be a guinea pig???? I wonder how many people will stop and think about this before letting them do it. If it were me, I would want someone with ****far more experience****.

just thought that I could share,

Last edited by injured betty; 01-28-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

PeachJam HB User
Re: The new ADRs are in town

Generally what happens is the drís receive continuing ed class from the company making the product. For example the company would order cadavers and a class would be held with the surgeons practicing a fusion on the cadaver. (I know it sounds creepy but this is how the surgeons practice, everything from knee replacement to plastic surgery). Then they are approved to begin scheduling the type of procedure that they learned. However, they do not do the procedure on a live patient alone until they decide (I have never known of someone doing it right out of class). What happens is that the sales rep for the company will attend the surgery as well. He is not licensed to operate and is not supposed to touch the patient but they are there with the surgeon to offer any help needed i.e. answer any questions, help if something goes wrong etc. I know that it sounds scary but it is a safe system. With all the malpractice out there surgeons go any very prepared and the companies themselves make sure that they are covered as well.

On a side note a lot of drís continue requesting a rep in surgeries (liability issue), and I would say most surgeons have a rep there is it is a revision where previous hardware is having to be removed. If you havenít had surgery yet you might ask what company makes the hardware that the surgeon will use and if a rep will be present for the surgery. Also, how many reps? A lot of times there is a training rep following around an experienced rep to watch only.

Donít really know if anyone cares but I thought I would share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread