It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

pcash HB User
Question Painful Back pain

Hello.. I have this TERRIBLE pain in the lower right side of my back. Its right above my right butt cheek. I dont know what is causing this pain, its very excruciating. When it "really hits" it almost cripples me. No matter how I sit, stand, or lay down it will not stop. It hurts to laugh, talk and even breathe. Could this be a muscle spasm? I have a tumor in my C5 vertebre (osteoblastoma) but I am not sure if that is what could be causing this pain. I have another thread posted for that problem.

I have tried to take several different pain medicines (even muscle relaxers) but nothing has helped. I have an appt to see the dr on Wednesday of next week but would really like to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to get rid of it. Thanks !

Old 01-28-2005, 10:21 PM   #2

sandman26 HB User
Re: Painful Back pain

pcash, sounds exactly like what I went through in june of 2004. it first started off with the pain you described and all the little things that would cause the pain. I went to my Doc. and told him where the pain was and he booked an appt. for me in with an orthopedic surgeon. I found out after a MRI that io have a herniation ( BULGE ) in L4 L5. so this is serious.
It has now been 7 months and i'm still in the same pain ....i;m on perchocets but doesn't help much... i'm also seeing a PT ..doing exercises ect ect ect but now i'm going to see a neurologist..we'll see what happens....

I recomend you see an ortho

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

pcash HB User

Thanks !! I see my ortho surgeon this comming Friday for the femur fracture in my left leg. I will bring it to his attention. Thanks again, hope you feel better !

Last edited by pcash; 01-29-2005 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 01-29-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
Sounds like you have your fair share of problems. I'm sorry to hear that. I know how you feel, I have several of my own problems. I would definitly suggest that you mention all of your current problems to your ortho, he/she needs to know in order to fully help you. Phsiotherapy is a really good idea so it's something you may want to mention to him as well. Good luck I hope all goes well on Friday, keep us posted. Take care. Kristy.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hey there,

It sounds as though this osteoblastoma is perhaps impinging on the sciatic nerve and thus causing all the pain you are experiencing. Nerve pain can be extreme.
Get to that ortho or even a neuro - or both.
Brooke

Old 01-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=sandman26]pcash, sounds exactly like what I went through in june of 2004. it first started off with the pain you described and all the little things that would cause the pain. I went to my Doc. and told him where the pain was and he booked an appt. for me in with an orthopedic surgeon. I found out after a MRI that io have a herniation ( BULGE ) in L4 L5. so this is serious.
It has now been 7 months and i'm still in the same pain ....i;m on perchocets but doesn't help much... i'm also seeing a PT ..doing exercises ect ect ect but now i'm going to see a neurologist..we'll see what happens....

I recomend you see an ortho[/QUOTE]

Is the bulge inpinging on a nerve? I always thought that unless a nerve in involved that a bulge is not serious. Now you have me concerned because my MRI showed a bulge at L3/L4 and the doc said, "Nothing to worry about".

Did you have an EMG?

I am having a CT scan done this week to see if my bulge is causing me any problems or if it is still the SI joint.

The Percocets may be tricking you into believing that you are in more pain than you are. That is part of the addiction process and you have been taking them for seven months.

If you build up your core muscles, start a strict regiment of stretches, walks and gentle exercises, you may be able to rid yourself of the pain.

When you see the Neuro, ask for an EMG.

take care,

Old 01-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #7
(male)

avglenn HB User

Regarding disc bulges...It is normal for people to have them without any kind of problems. However, it depends on the severity of the disc tear. It is thought that if the nucleus of the disc is torn from the inside to the outer 1/3 of the disc, that it could give you discogenic pain which radiates to your back or even legs ( sciatica). The outer 1/3 of the disc contains many interverbral fibres that are real pain sensitive. I dont know if this helps, bit I thought I would share.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #8
(female)

pcash HB User

Thanks for the info Danagc, I hope that I will find out Friday what is causing it. I have been lucky for the last two days it has not been that bad. But I am just waiting for it to "hit" again.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #9
(female)

pcash HB User

Hi Kristy, thanks for the concern, I hope it is not something really bad. I have been through enough since the car accident in October. I will keep you posted on the dr's appt.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
(female)

pcash HB User

Hi Betty, I have not seen the dr yet for this pain in my back. He is treating me for a femur fracture from my car accident on 10/25/04. I will be sure to ask him about the EMG when I go on Friday. I will keep you all posted. Thanks !!

Old 01-31-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
(female)

pcash HB User

Hi Brooke, that is what I am worried about also. Thanks for the info I will make sure I bring it to my doc's attn Friday.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:19 PM   #12
(female)

pcash HB User

Hello everyone , the doc says my pain is from muscle spasams. I have not had a really bad one for a while now so maybe it's going away. He said if I move side to side then it will help work it out. My physical therapist says to put ice on it an freeze it until its numb. (that seems to help a lot ) I am just glad that it was not something worse. Thanks again to all of you that offered suggestions and gave me some feedback. Now I am just waiting for the surgery to remove the tumor on my spine on 2/21. Good luck to you all !!

Closed Thread