It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
Question An Update on lil me - 2 fusions on and problems?

Hi everyone,

As most would know i had two fusions within a year and I am now 7 months post op from my second fusion.

10 days of on again off again pain (with relief only from tramadol) and an x-ray reveals there has been 'minor forward displacement on L5 relative to S1'.

Assuming I have fused (which all previous scans and my surgeon indicated) how can L5 have possibly moved anteriorly?

Has anyone had 'minor' displacement? If so please tell me what this means for you in terms of your health.
I have an appt with my surgeon in 10 days or so.

Cheers
Brooke

Old 01-29-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User
Re: An Update on lil me - 2 fusions on and problems?

Brooke,

I don't know the answer to your questions, but wanted to say that I am so sorry you are having problems again. Hopefully it will clear up quickly, and is just a minor setback. Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Jessie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Losy HB User
Talking Re: An Update on lil me - 2 fusions on and problems?

Hi

I had a double fusion at l4/l5 & L5/S1 - 1989. While it had fused it was reported that there were some gaps in it. I was encouraged to go about normal activities just the same. In 1996 I fell while on what we call in Australia a biscuiy. Its like a rubber tre that gets towed behind a sooed boat. The fact that I fell was not such of a problem, it was my sister in law landing on top of me that did the damage. I had an increase in leg and back pain unlike what I had experienced for years. Following a scan it was determined that I had caused the bone to move causing micrscopic bleding and a lot of inflamation. It took me 6 to 12 months to recover. I guest what I am saying is that its possible that it can move.

I hope for your sake its not to serious and that you makle a quick recovery

all the very best

Losy

Old 01-30-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][CENTER][B]Hello Brooke [/B] [/CENTER]
[INDENT]It sure has been such a very long time since I have heard from you. I really do wish that I was reading better news from you. You haven't stated if you are in pain or not so I am praying that your not suffering. As for the displacement on L5 relative to S1, I am not sure exactly what this means or how this happened. However, I do remember that you had perviously stated that you had some sort of curve at this level that your surgeon had mentioned to you. Maybe this has something to do with why you continue to have problems but I am only guessing here. I would really demand at your appointment that your surgeon explain this entirely to you. I remember that you did seem to have a very good surgeon.

In some of my reports I have also had slight displacements of subarachnoid space & left S1 nerve root. But I found that it was scar tissue that was problem.

Again, I am happy to hear from you as I did miss you.[/INDENT]
[CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]
Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
[B]FBSS[/B]-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
[B]~[U]CERVICA[/U]L~[/B]
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated Discs
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
[B]Bilateral Distal Peroneal Neuropathy
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Bilateral Frozen Shoulder
Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Pre-Diabetic, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux,
Migraine's, Sleep Apnea[/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-30-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jeanne,

Hellllllooooooo oh hello!!!

Hasn'tit been such a very long time.

All had been going well with the second fusion. My surgeon was very pleased with the sucess of the bmp and had told me to resume 'normal' activities. I did (and even then I never really have gotten back to normal - gardening and such - still not strong enough) but i did resume full time work (just until uni goes back).

Ten days ago the pain is back to how it was prior to the first surgery. HOWEVER- not even the slightest hint of nerve pain (my surgeon's number one concern). Just aching - low grade but constantly - no sleep without heavy meds and boy I had forgetten what they were like to be on - i dont like the mind altering effects and stuff.

So my GP ordered an x-ray which reveals this 'minor displacement'. You are correct though, the lordosis at L5 is the most extreame my surgeon has seen and my pain eases when i tilt my pelvis under, however, i can not maintain that position all the time, it's not my natural shape.

I asked my GP and he said that fusions can expect no movement at all. My surgeon did once say that the reason surgeries had been unsucessful (or difficult) with me is because I am so young and therefore my bone is too strong to have the screws drilled into (and for the bone to grab) - when it is an older patient with softer bone then it grabs a lot easier. Perhaps the vertebrae have slipped from the screws a bit?

I have no idea, basically I am wondering where to from here?

Dad says i may need to look at a career change and that I have to accept that my body is not going to let me return to my once very physical lifestyle.

Love
Brooke

Last edited by Brooke79; 01-30-2005 at 06:02 AM.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jessie,

Thank you, that is very sweet. It is so amazing how much support one can get from coming to these boards. Sometimes, it's like no one else understands but us....you know? I'll definately keep you posted

Brooke

Old 01-30-2005, 06:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Losy,

An Aussie too??
Ok, so i assume then that movement is nothing to be overly concerned about then? Well, i mean unless the movement is significant enough? I nearly cried when i saw the reports, i was so panicked!!

Thanks for your input

Brooke

Old 01-30-2005, 06:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Brooke,
Do you have rods with your fusion? If you do and you're slipping it's a hardware issue.
I'm seven months out from a laminectomy and fusion from L3-S1. It was done posterior lateral with BMP on sponges. I'm 64 and I'm doing great. I had and have grade 1 spondylolisthesis. My orthopedic spine surgeon said he didn't correct it; he just stabilized it. It should never get worse.
fly

Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Brooke, it truly is amazing how much support you can get from a group of people you have never met in person. I feel very lucky to have found this board, as the people on it have provided me with so much information and support. I know I wouldn't have been nearly as prepared for my fusion (which I had almost 4 weeks ago) as I was, and not nearly as informed. I also remember some info that you gave me a while ago, which was very helpful, and I'm very grateful for that. Thanks so much!

Old 01-30-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Fly,

My surgeon did mention that some surgeons do not correct a spondy - he didnt understand why, but he did bring me L5 back into its anatomical alignment. That said as you probably read above, my L5 is on a very vertical angle is my surgeon said he has not seen one like it before and that it was the cause of all problems throughout both my first and second surgery.

He said also that surgeries on patients of your age are a lot more successful because the bone is more responsive with age. I am 25 and I love my calcium l***** foods more than anything, this has proven to work against me because my bones are too strong to have a screw through them, the screw simply cant grab.

I thought it might be a hardware issue. The second surgery around he put larger screws in, we thought that would do the trick, perhaps that has only meant more friction through the L5 and thus, slippage.

The bmp has proven to be fabulous though, would you agree?

Does this mean the hardware will need to be removed once the fusion has set (in about 17 months)? The pain mimics my original pain prior to the surgeries without any nerve issues what so ever.

Thanks Fly

Brooke

Old 01-30-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jessie1,

You are most welcome for the information, thats what i study at uni so its good to be able to help other out. You're right, when i first came here in August 2003 i knew a lot about the spine and the conditions of the spine but nothing about what to expect pre and post a fusion.

You are 4 weeks out? Excellent!! Be so very very good to your body during this time and remember, do not think like i did. I figured that when i was feeling better it was time to get up and about but these fusions are not like a cold or flu, feeling better means nothing. Your body has just be prodded and poked and stuffed and stiched and isprobably very traumatised not to mention weak as anything.

We're here anytime you might need advice.

Love
Brooke

Old 01-31-2005, 02:38 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Brooke,
Does your surgeon have a spine fellowship? Mine was only two years off a fellowship. What he did on me is off-label---I can't even find find anything written about it! Also, I seem to remember hearing that L5-S1 can be problematic because of the angle. Could you maybe benefit by his extending the fusion up one level? There might not be as much pressure on the screws. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around my 'unapproved' procedure.
fly

Old 01-31-2005, 05:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Brooke, I have already learned the lesson about feeling better doesn't mean that you are better! I have had almost no pain since I got home from the hospital, and started working part time again about 10 days ago. To make a long story short, I ended up having to work a couple of 10-12 hour days last week, and I paid for it. So I'll be a little more careful from now on! I don't want to mess anything up (6 screws, 2 rods, cages, bmp, donor bone) and I don't want to do this again! It can just be very frustrating to feel better and not have my body ready to do what I want it to do (as I'm sure you understand).

Good luck- please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Hugs,

Jessie

Old 01-31-2005, 04:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Indigo][CENTER][B]Hello Brooke [/B] [/CENTER]
[INDENT]I guess that since you have only had an x-ray, that you are probably in for some more testing. Although the x-ray has shown a significant amount of injury, your surgeon still might send you for a CT Scan or MRI. I don't think you will need a myleogram as you have stated that you are not suffering any nerve pain and that is a very good sign.

All this time I was thinking that you were doing well, when you weren't at the boards any longer. I imagined that you went back to uni and were living pain free with a successful recovery. I am truly sorry that you are having these problems once again. I do think that your Dad may be right, but don't make any decision's until you speak to your surgeon about your latest report finding's. You are in my thought's and Prayer's.[/INDENT]
[CENTER] [B] Your Friend, Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

Old 02-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Jeanne,

Well i was doing well for the months you hadn't heard from me. I was getting back into work and study and having no pain - or very little. Then it comes back. No nerve pain if at all - just the rumblings of it which the gp said to expect as we all know.

Work is such hard pressure that i dont know that i need right now. Im looking for another job because i dont need the pressure work gives me..i get enough from uni.

I honestly have no idea what to think, ill wait till thursday to find out.

Love
Brooke

Closed Thread