It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
(male)

Ben W HB User
Six weeks post microdiscectomy...still hurts

Hey Guys,
Well it has been six weeks since my microdiscectomy. I have pain in both feet and in the original sciatic nerve area. I am a bit discouraged in that I really have been careful. I saw the neurosurgeon and she seems to think things are going o.k. She even told me I wouldn't have to see her anymore if I continue to get better. The problem is that I don't seem to be making any progress with the pain in the legs. I also discovered that if I lie on my left side in bed, my left foot goes numb. That doesn't happen if I lie on my right side. The disc fragment was on the left side; now I lie awake thinking it was all for naught; more crabmeat is loose! Am I worrying for no good cause? Has anyone experienced similar?
Ben

Old 01-31-2005, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

Ouizie HB User
Re: Six weeks post microdiscectomy...still hurts

Hi Ben,

I had a discectomy L5/S1 on October 18 and again on December 16. (My disc reherniated and that's why I had a second surgery in December).

After the first surgery I felt the same as pre-op; the leg pain etc was all still there. The second one, when I woke up the leg pain was gone and I thought, hooray! I'm fixed.

Well, the leg pain has pretty much stayed away, but I've been getting a hint of sciatic pain at the hip/bum area. The back pain, however, is just about intolerable.

The last surgery left me without any cushion to speak of and my doctor said that I might have "pain for awhile yet". Well, what is that supposed to mean?

My days go like this: Get up, feeling okay. After sitting for more than 1/2 hour I start to hurt. This is not sore muscles, it is pain deep inside in the spine. It sort of feels like when my disc herniated 5 1/2 years ago and I had this sharp pain that takes my breath away.

Anyway, if I manage to shower and make it to work I come home in a great deal of pain and need to spend the next day at home where I can lie down frequently.

To make a long story short, Ben, I understand your frustration. If you are having such strong symptoms and your dr. is ignoring them then there's a problem.

In October when my pain was still so bad and things didn't seem right I called my Dr. and he immediately ordered out an MRI and sure enough I had reherniated. It's possible that you have the same problem, or it could be that the healing process is taking longer than you would hope.

Regardless, I think your doctor should take you seriously and order an MRI to be sure. Good luck!

Ouizie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread