It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 09:55 PM   #1
(female)

tblessedby HB User
Question Frustrated and Need understanding!

I need some help in understand what these words mean on my MRI report. Here is what the findings are. There is signal intensity loss involving C3-C4 and C4-C5 with minimal spur formation at the anterior body margins. C2-C3: There is a left paracentral focal disc profusion with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac. C6-C7: There is a broad-based central focal disc protusion with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and questional effacement of the spinal cord. Impressions: Left paracentral focal disc profusion at C2-C3 with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac.
Broad-Based disc protrusion at C3-C4 with resultant effacement and indentant of the thecal sac and questional effacement of the spinal cord.
Broad-Based disc protrusion at C4-C5 with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and mild effacement of the spinal cord. There is effacement and possible displacement of the of the exisiting C5 nerve root complex on the right side, along with mild neuroforaminal stenosis on the right side.
Broad-Based disc protusion at C6-C7 with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and possible effacement of the spinal cord.
L4-L5: There is mild disc signal intensity loss with questionable disc height loss and minimal spur formation at anterior body margins. There is small broad-based disc protrusion measuring 2-3 mm in its greatest A-P deminsion with resultant effacement and of the thecal sac. There is mild to moderate facet arthrosis on the left side and moderate to advanced on the right side with questionable minimal anterolisthesis at this level. There is slight lateral recess stenosis suspected bilaterally without a high degree of neuroforaminal compromise.
Impressions:
Degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 with associated facet arthrosis and a small broad-based disc protusion with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and mild stenosis involving the subarticular recesses bilaterally.
Facet arthrosis at the lumbosacral level.
I stay in constant pain and hands go numb a lot. I also have an arthritic spine. I have learned to live with this condition knowing not a whole lot can be done. God gives strength to accomplish whatever task I need to do and sends me help. I pray that maybe there's a doctor on here that explain it a little better to me. I don't ahve a doctor right now but having a hard time finding one. God bless you all.
Edith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 10:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Frustrated and Need understanding!

[COLOR=Magenta]There is signal intensity loss involving [B]C3-C4 [/B] and [B]C4-C5 [/B] with minimal spur formation at the anterior body margins.[/COLOR]

Spur formation usually means arthritis and bone spurs. Bone spurs either come about as a natural part of aging or as part of arthritis. When a joint tries to shore itself up, it builds these calcuim deposits, bone spurs. If they are not interferring with a nerve or soft tissue, then they should be left alone. It says, minimal, so it should be okay.

[COLOR=Magenta][B]C2-C3[/B]: There is a left paracentral focal disc profusion with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac. [/COLOR]

Should that say, protusion or profusion? If it is a profusion, then it would be a bulge profusing to the left.

[COLOR=Magenta][B]C6-C7[/B]: There is a broad-based central focal disc protusion with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and questional effacement of the spinal cord.[/COLOR]

This protrusion is in the central of the disc. Again, another bulge.

[COLOR=Magenta]Impressions: Left paracentral focal disc profusion at [B]C2-C3 [/B] with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac.[/COLOR]

Looks like you have three bulges in your neck. Doesn't state if that is what is causing you pain. EMG might be your next test.

[COLOR=Magenta]Broad-Based disc protrusion at [B]C3-C4 [/B] with resultant effacement and indentant of the thecal sac and questional effacement of the spinal cord.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Magenta]Broad-Based disc protrusion at [B]C4-C5 [/B] with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and mild effacement of the spinal cord.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Magenta]Broad-Based disc protusion at [B]C6-C7 [/B] with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and possible effacement of the spinal cord.[/COLOR]

"[COLOR=Magenta]There is effacement and [B]possible displacement of the of the exisiting [B]C5 [/B] nerve root complex on the right side, along with mild neuroforaminal stenosis on the right side.[/COLOR][/B]"

These are the words that should concern you the most, [B]nerve root and stenosis[/B]

That is it for your neck and then they move to your lumbar:

[COLOR=Magenta][B]L4-L5[/B]: There is mild disc signal intensity loss with questionable disc height loss and minimal spur formation at anterior body margins. There is small broad-based disc protrusion measuring 2-3 mm in its greatest A-P deminsion with resultant effacement and of the thecal sac. There is mild to moderate facet arthrosis on the left side and moderate to advanced on the right side with questionable minimal anterolisthesis at this level. There is slight lateral recess stenosis suspected bilaterally without a high degree of neuroforaminal compromise.[/COLOR]

Arthritis, drying out of the discs (DDD), and a bulge. The arthritis is mild to moderate in the facets on the left side and moderate to advanced on teh right side. You also have stenosis on both sides. The words to be concerned with here are, [B]stenosis, arthrosis and anterolisthesis[/B].

[COLOR=Magenta]Degenerative disc disease at L4-L5 with associated facet arthrosis and a small broad-based disc protusion with resultant effacement and indentation of the thecal sac and mild stenosis involving the subarticular recesses bilaterally.[/COLOR]

DDD, facet arthritis, and bulge at L4/L5. Also, stenosis.

[COLOR=Magenta]Facet arthrosis at the lumbosacral level.[/COLOR]

Arthritis in the facets in the pelvic area.

All of this looks like it might be the source of your pain. However, I would look to see what caused the arthritis. I know that people glibly remark that arthritis come with age, and that is in part true, because some people do no keep them selves in shape, the muscles and ligaments become loose and lax, and then slop develops in the joints. But, if you are in shape, why the arthritis? There has to be something going on that can be corrected. Arthritis develops when the body is trying to shore itself up.

You might ask the MD to do some tests to see if you are too loose, your ligaments or muscles. Meantime, see if you can start an exercise regiment to firm up the muscles that hold your back tight. Ligaments and muscles play a huge part in this process. They can't erase arthritis, but they can stop it in its tracks.

take care,

Closed Thread