It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
WOW-things can't get better...or maybe, how can they get worse????

Sorry I have been gone, our internet was turned off on Friday for the move.Here is what happened:
We weren't able to close on our condo Friday, so we had to put our belongings into storage and, board the pets again and stay in a hotel. Lucky for us, they had been overbooked so we were moved into a spa suite with a nicer bed and jacuzzi tub. We did the paperwork on Saturday and were able to move some of our stuff from storage into the condo which was great. Then, on Sunday we were able to completely move into the condo. We were so happy. My pain levels started to increase though the whole weekend through the stress of it all-then my neck really started to hurt causing pain in both shoulders. Today I was going to do some shopping at Target and Wal-Mart but got a call from my husband today-he was fired. Our condo hadn't even been funded yet-our whole life seemed to crash around us-
One, without his salary we can't afford the condo, we are down one car since he had a company car, we have to now get COBRA, I can't go to nursing school. So, we have to run now back to Missouri to live with my mom. Sell the condo, and try to start life over again. Things couldn't be worse. I don't know how my disability factors in this though-I haven't gotten my FMLA stuff sent in yet, my job has been filled and they KNOW I can't come back, so I wonder if I should ask them to just "let me go" or if I can quit and still get my disability. The company I currently work for is the same I came from in MO and I know they would do anything possible to rehire me. I don't know how this will work. I KNOW that LTD will keep paying as long as I am deemed unable to do my job. Which is another two months at least. I just don't know-at a loss. We aren't happy to do this, but since the job is gone we have no reason to stay here. If we had our way, we would have left a while back. Vegas is not our kind of place. Anyway, that is my story for the past four days. Has not been good.
I have noticed many new names here and want to say welcome. I won't be able to get to everyone's post but wanted to say Hi anyway. I hope everyone else is doing okay, have a nice night, I'll keep checking in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
(female)

lindabobinda HB User
Re: WOW-things can't get better...or maybe, how can they get worse????

[QUOTE=mel1977]Sorry I have been gone, our internet was turned off on Friday for the move.Here is what happened:
We weren't able to close on our condo Friday, so we had to put our belongings into storage and, board the pets again and stay in a hotel. Lucky for us, they had been overbooked so we were moved into a spa suite with a nicer bed and jacuzzi tub. We did the paperwork on Saturday and were able to move some of our stuff from storage into the condo which was great. Then, on Sunday we were able to completely move into the condo. We were so happy. My pain levels started to increase though the whole weekend through the stress of it all-then my neck really started to hurt causing pain in both shoulders. Today I was going to do some shopping at Target and Wal-Mart but got a call from my husband today-he was fired. Our condo hadn't even been funded yet-our whole life seemed to crash around us-
One, without his salary we can't afford the condo, we are down one car since he had a company car, we have to now get COBRA, I can't go to nursing school. So, we have to run now back to Missouri to live with my mom. Sell the condo, and try to start life over again. Things couldn't be worse. I don't know how my disability factors in this though-I haven't gotten my FMLA stuff sent in yet, my job has been filled and they KNOW I can't come back, so I wonder if I should ask them to just "let me go" or if I can quit and still get my disability. The company I currently work for is the same I came from in MO and I know they would do anything possible to rehire me. I don't know how this will work. I KNOW that LTD will keep paying as long as I am deemed unable to do my job. Which is another two months at least. I just don't know-at a loss. We aren't happy to do this, but since the job is gone we have no reason to stay here. If we had our way, we would have left a while back. Vegas is not our kind of place. Anyway, that is my story for the past four days. Has not been good.
I have noticed many new names here and want to say welcome. I won't be able to get to everyone's post but wanted to say Hi anyway. I hope everyone else is doing okay, have a nice night, I'll keep checking in.
[/QUOTE]

Hi mel,
I am new and just wanted to say I'm sorry for everything you have went through this weekend. I am on LTD now but before my STD ended my company let me go, I think I would ask for them to let you go, MetLife told me that most companies "fire" or "let you go" once you go onto LTD, and that even tho I'm not techinally an employee with them anymore they are still responible for my LTD benefits. It is so confusing to me but as long as my drs say I am unable to work and provide reports and offices notes then I am able to collect.
I hope things work out for you and your husband, keep you chin up.
Take care,
Linda

Old 01-31-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you linda-I appreciate it. For the most part I am lucky since I can later return to my old job (which I have wanted for two years anyway, but not under these circumstances). It is such a sad thing-we were so excited to be first time homeowners.......

Old 01-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

lindabobinda HB User

[QUOTE=mel1977]thank you linda-I appreciate it. For the most part I am lucky since I can later return to my old job (which I have wanted for two years anyway, but not under these circumstances). It is such a sad thing-we were so excited to be first time homeowners.......[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are lucky that you can return to your old job, that is great news
I know what you mean about not being able to due to your injuries! How did you get hurt, as you know, I'm new, and have only started reading the boards for a few days now!

I'm sure you were excited and I feel bad how things worked out for you, when we were house searching we found a great house and someone out bid us and I was devestrated, totally different situation, but we didn't find out we didn't get it for like a week, so I was like thinking about how I was going to decorate each room and just couldn't wait and then we were told we didn't get it, I was so upset. Hang in there and when you are better and can work maybe you will then start to look and find something better.
Take care,
Linda

Old 01-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I wasn't hurt on the job persay, but was a nurse asst (can I say that??? MOD??) and now can't return to that. BUT, I had a back surgery when I was in MO and was a unit clerk since I couldn't do lifting and that was great. They were all upset that I left. So, technically I wouldn't be getting my old job back, but it is highly possible I could unit clerk again or do something else that doesn't require lifting. I had all these things we were going to buy too, and now we can't. Well, we COULD but what is the point, and we need to hang on to every cent too. GOSH this sucks!
Oh, I had a two level 360 lumbar interbody fusion on Dec 15. I had two small disc bulges and each disc had DDD. So, they were removed. I also have some great neck problems, which we haven't even started to treat. Now, not only do I have to do all this, but gotta get a new dr to take over my care, and a new PM doc-both of which are such wonderful drs, that alone in its self is upsetting!

Old 01-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

myspine HB User

Oh My gosh Mel that is terrible
I am so sorry for all you are going through. I wish you all the best. I know something good has to come from this eventually. I know that sounds stupid but surely it will. Just know you are in my prayers
I am sorry for your pain . It plain SUCKS
shelley

Old 01-31-2005, 07:02 PM   #7
(female)

lindabobinda HB User

[QUOTE=mel1977]I wasn't hurt on the job persay, but was a nurse asst (can I say that??? MOD??) and now can't return to that. BUT, I had a back surgery when I was in MO and was a unit clerk since I couldn't do lifting and that was great. They were all upset that I left. So, technically I wouldn't be getting my old job back, but it is highly possible I could unit clerk again or do something else that doesn't require lifting. I had all these things we were going to buy too, and now we can't. Well, we COULD but what is the point, and we need to hang on to every cent too. GOSH this sucks!
Oh, I had a two level 360 lumbar interbody fusion on Dec 15. I had two small disc bulges and each disc had DDD. So, they were removed. I also have some great neck problems, which we haven't even started to treat. Now, not only do I have to do all this, but gotta get a new dr to take over my care, and a new PM doc-both of which are such wonderful drs, that alone in its self is upsetting![/QUOTE]

OIC, that is upsetting about finding new drs, but it will be ok, you might really like the new ones to. Oh, geez wow I didn't realize you had surgery in Dec. The sounds pretty bad, are you expected to be ok in two months, how long does that usually take to heal and will you be back to "normal" say in a year, back to normal activity? I'm so scared of surgery, I'm so afraid that I will not be back to "normal" if you will, meaning doing the things I use to do, basketball, exercising, etc.
Take care of yourself and be careful and allow yourself the time you need to heal.
Linda

Old 01-31-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
(female)

cna02 HB User

I'm sorry to hear things aren't going well. That's too bad! I'll send you and angel for good thoughts and prayers, ! You know me by now, you sound like me-if we didn't have bad luck, we wouldn't have any at all.
I haven't been released from the doctor yet and my next appt. isn't until
Feb. 23rd. I have 3 more weeks of PT. Things are decent but could be better.
I haven't received a disablity check since Nov., which really stinks. I have to call the nurses that filled out my disability papers and the disablitiy place and find out what's wrong. I got a check today for $10.00. Then looking back at some info. these benefits, the paper states my benefits will be reduced to $10.00 per month if your injury or illness is work related. How can this be? You paid me for from Aug. thru the middle of Nov. I was never workman's
comp. And now you reduced my benefits?! I should have a check for 2 wks.
in Nov., plus a full month in Dec.2004 and now Jan.2005. Boy, do I have phone calls to make tomorrow. I hope I'm right and the doctor's office is wrong.
Oh by the way, I'm fairly certain I won't be going back into CNA work, Mel!
I haven't talked to the doctor yet, but a physical therapist said last week-
you don't want to ruin what you had done and then run the risk of it going on up your back and cause more problems. Which is true!
So, I went for a interview for a secretary position and didn't get it. I should of since I was the only in house person that applied. I'm sure they have some good excuses. Of course, I still haven't been released yet,
which will be one of their answers. Oh well, life goes on..............
Thanks for listening........need to watch some movies we rented....

cna02

Old 01-31-2005, 08:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I won't be released to go back to work atleast until April, as my next appt is in March. I have a whole mess to of figuring stuff out with my work and LTD. I appreciate all the support. CNA, I understand about the benefits and so sorry about the job. Twice I have gone w/o for over two or three months and that is hard. I just found out my LTD is only approved through March 1, and I don't see the dr until the 22 so how can they do that???? Gotta lot of stuff to do tomorrow. I hope you get money soon-isn't it horrible how money can just rule the world no matter how you feel about it??? I guess for some it doesn't matter so much, but we have been struggling for the past four years minus maybe a six month period in that time. We will celebrate our two year anniversary in June. Gosh-and the worst part is being at the mercy of others.

Last edited by mel1977; 01-31-2005 at 08:19 PM.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hey Mel:

I am terribly sorry for all that you and hubby have gone thru. Know that you are in my thoughts! Hang in there!
~M~

Old 02-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

StMishl HB User

Mel,

I too have been off since middle of last week... LONG STORY there too (okay - admitting maybe I went back to work too early at 6 weeks). Everybody new here - WELCOME.

I am so sorry .... I thought I was having a bad week. I can't even think of where to begin!

Take care of yourself, and don't do anything to set yourself back physically. Would now be a good time to look at SSI for you or unemployment for your hubby? I know you hate to go there... but maybe that would give you time to catch your breath ??

Know you are in my thoughts.

-Michelle

Old 02-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Mel, I am so sorry about what you've been going through! Try to stay positive- I know it's difficult, but sometimes a positive attitude can make all the difference in the world. Remember, everything happens for a reason (even though we might not know what it is), and things WILL get better! We're all thinking about you, and we're here if you need us!

Hugs,

Jessie

Old 02-01-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I just spent nearly four hours applying online for my ss disability. Man, that takes forever! Hubby applied for unemployment too. SO, that is started. I am not worried about SS though, since I have the LTD. we are doing better now. Just going to be a long slow month. Now I have to find a new dr!

Old 02-01-2005, 08:24 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

Hi, mel1977 -

Long time since I've chatted with you. I'm so sorry to hear about what's been going on. Mine hasn't been that complex, but is getting there, what with my lawsuit and all.

I'm coming up on 5 full years of this...what a pain (no pun intended). It's just taxing on your body to try to just keep going; the longer the harder. So, hang in there. Even though I haven't been online in awhile, I've had you & many others on this board in my thoughts. Not much, but hope it helps.

I hope they can find you a more "relaxing" job that affords you some relief opportunities.

Hope the fusion is working for you. Even a small bit helps sometimes, don't it?

Take care, and keep plugging away.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 02-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thank you rampage, it sure has been a while? Strange how fast time flys when we AREN'T having fun!
Things will get better and I believe too things happen for a reason. I am interested in finding out what that thing is.
ST-so are you giving yourself a break now? How are you feeling?
I am just hitting up my first full year of this and man, so so tiring. Lucky thing is I can quit my job here, move to MO and reapply again for the company I left in MO as a unit secretary. IF they have a job for me. ANyway, I won't lose my benefits for long term as long as I am still deemed disabled. That is a big relief!

Closed Thread