It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 06:02 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
sciatica and trigger points????

Okay, after we got our stuff moved and into storage(we hired movers,I was a good girl) I was relaxing and my butt cheeks hurt badly. About a two to three inch wide area down the middle of each cheek from the top to mid bottom. I have no idea if that is the sciatic nerve path or if it is muscle. I also don't know why it hurts. I have muscles on my legs too that are very tender to touch and don't know why. I am famous for bumping into to stuff so I always get bruises, but these go down each side of my thighs. Then, because of all the moving I have been upright for so long that my neck pain went to my shoulders at the joints and were very painful. I am not sure if it was the trigger point or not-I just don't know. ANd now with us moving, I have to find a new dr in MO and hope my stuff doesn't hit the fan too......

Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User
Re: sciatica and trigger points????

Hi, mel1977 -

It's possible it's Sciatica. Does the pain radiate from the lower back out and down across the buttocks, ending at your femur/hip? If yes, it could be caused by the piriformis.

Where is the leg pain exactly? Outside thigh? That's usually from the nerve that branches out from the L3-L4 area of your spine. The location of the pain or tingling can help narrow down the problem (those anatomy books sure are helpful!)

I feel it run across the buttocks, as described, and then down the back of my thigh, around and down to the outer calf, and even sometimes down to my middle toe. All an L3-4, L4-5 type problem.

Hope this helps, and would love to review the anatomy books I bought if I can help more. Cheers.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Well, thank you for replying! It is not my normal sciatica. I used to get it bad down the front and back of my thigh, in the groin and radiating from low back too. This one starts right at the flat part of my butt bone then down the buttock but not all the way down. It is very tender and sore, but doesn't BURN like the normal sciatica. It is so hard to explain-and it has happened numerous times. So, it doesn't come from the low back-strictly the butt. down the fatty part-I had my two lowest discs removed in december, and most of my bad sciatica is gone. I wish I could describe this better!

Old 02-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hey Mel,
Is it possible that you bruised your tailbone? From the way you are decribing it, it sort of reminds me of what I was feeling after I fell. I still get it from time to time and it hurts like heck. And the pain does feel similar to sciatica only it doesn't radiate it just stays in the one spot. Anyway, I hope it's better today. Let me know how you are doing. Take care. Kristy.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

nah, I have done that before. I have had this occur probably like four times or so where it really bothered me. On an average day, it is always tender. I wonder how I could do a search for this? Got any suggestions on how to word that?

Old 02-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

I don't know... You could just have a lot of inflamation from doing so much on the weekend. Have you tried heat and ice and anti inflammatorys? That's about all I've got. Good luck. Kristy.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks. I used my heating pad, but no ice. I hate being cold! It is better now so I will deal and the shoulders are better. I read we aren't supposed to take anti-inflammitories yet.....well, I'll try a search and see what I can find....

Old 02-01-2005, 09:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

thanks. I used my heating pad, but no ice. I hate being cold! It is better now so I will deal and the shoulders are better. I read we aren't supposed to take anti-inflammitories yet.....well, I'll try a search and see what I can find....

Old 02-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=mel1977]Well, thank you for replying! It is not my normal sciatica. I used to get it bad down the front and back of my thigh, in the groin and radiating from low back too. This one starts right at the flat part of my butt bone then down the buttock but not all the way down. It is very tender and sore, but doesn't BURN like the normal sciatica. It is so hard to explain-and it has happened numerous times. So, it doesn't come from the low back-strictly the butt. down the fatty part-I had my two lowest discs removed in december, and most of my bad sciatica is gone. I wish I could describe this better![/QUOTE]

Mel, could it be a hip problem? I had been in PT for my SI joint, but they also found my hip was out of whack & once they got that to stay in place, that pain went away. Just a possibility, due to the area you are describing.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I spoke to my PT today and he said it was the Piriformis muscle. So guess it was inflammed and that caused the problem. Could be the hips too as my pelvic bone is off center. We'll just have to see. I will keep doing my stretches and hope that helps.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

yeah, mel1977 - mine changes daily too. hmm. what have you had done to diagnose it? i know we've talked about numerous things, but can't remember if we've discussed this yet.

mine took 10 months to diagnose...what a pain (no pun intended). the mri showed nothing, the meds were worthless, and i was so frustrated. my dr. & i decided to brainstorm, and realized the piriformis was the culprit. if you have the same issue, that might explain the inconsistencies. that's my problem!

take care, and let me know what i can do to help.
IDET '04
Laminectomy '06
Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Closed Thread