It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
(male)

sugaragus HB User
Not sure if this is Sciatice

Hello: I had some Neuro symptoms for the last year and have posted on other boards. When I sleep, whichever side I sleep on I get a real painful pain in the hip area. I am almost definitely sure this is sciatica. The thing I am wondering about is that now my right calf and foot are very heavy and numb. Almost to the tingling part in my foot. When I sit for a long period of time, my groin area goes numb. Can this be Sciatica or do I have other issues. Please let me know what you think. Thanks. I am worried because I have a lot of neuro symptoms and am scared it may be MS or ALS.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Not sure if this is Sciatice

Sounds like a pinched nerve more than sciatica. Any thought to getting a emg? Have you had any diagnostic tests at all? I hope you can find out the cause of your problems. Best wishes to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #3
(male)

sugaragus HB User

Thanks for the reply. Actually I am getting an EMG on thursday of this week. Can that test detect a pinched nerve or sciatica. I wasn't sure if the only reason they were doing it is to rule out ALS. If I have a bad result ( muscle or nerve damage) does that mean ALS or can that mean sciatica or pinched nerve. What do you think??

Old 01-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I am dumb-what is ALS?
I don't know if the EMG will show sciatica, but it will show a pinched nerve and it can also determine where the problem could be. Example-my left shoulder pain was consistant with the neck and disc issues. BUT, could also have been thorasic. I have neck MRI and xrays, no T level stuff. So, we can only assume that the nerve pinched was from the neck-no idea FOR SURE unless we do one of the T spine. Let me know what ALS is and I might be able to help ya more. Glad you are getting the EMG though-if any + see about an MRI for follow up.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:51 PM   #5
(male)

sugaragus HB User

ALS is a neuromuscula disease, also know as Lou Gerhig's disease. It is real severe, that is why I am so concerned. Thanks for your input I appreciate it

Old 02-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

my emg was for foot drop, which means i couldn't flex my foot. an emg detects whether the nerve damage is deep or superficial. fortunately, mine was superficial (peroneal nerve - outside calf region).

it may be related to a sciatica problem, or could be separate. question - do you feel the pain/tingling/etc. in you backside or the back of your thigh too? if you don't have that, then it's most likely not sciatica.

a coworker told me of a nerve condition where the damage, etc. comes and goes. if you've been having that kind of stuff, then it might help you to ask the dr. about that condition. wish i could remember the name.

good luck to ya.
L3-4 Tear Diag '03
IDET '04
SI Diag '04
Stenosis Diag '06
Bulging Disc L4-5 Diag '06
DDD L3-4 thru L5-S1 Diag '06
Laminectomy '06

Old 02-08-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,
It doesn't really sound like sciatica to me. I have sciatica and I would describe it deferently from what you described. I would say that it starts in my right buttock and radiates down my leg to about my knee. It's almost an "electric" feeling. IT is a very hard pain to decribe but it is very uncomfortable. I know you have an EMG coming up so that shouls tell you what you need to know. Good luck with all and let me know how it turns out. Take care. Kristy.

Closed Thread