It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
(female)

Shakespeare HB User
Question Open Stand up, Sit down MRI

Has anyone had any experience with an open standup, sit down MRI? I probably have to have another MRI (almost definately) and I an claustrophobic. Extremely.

I guess I should have included this inquiry in my other post but I am an air head right now due to pain level.

I know the new MRIs are based on taking the pics in the position that give you the most pain. I really think that is a good idea and would love to have it for my next one.

My original MRI showed no evidence of danage but that was pre surgery. My Ortho video tapes his surgeries and when they opened me up I had three herniated discs with a slew of other problems thrown in there.

When those pics were taken it was in the traditional manner, lying on my back with my legs elevated at the knee. This is the most comfortable position for me even now. I can only stand for maybe 20minutes max and it is painful for me to sit. I think pics taken in either of these positions would reveal more.

I was just wondering if anyone had tried this before and if so what the results were.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User
Re: Open Stand up, Sit down MRI

I have not, but before my discogram really wanted one, as I agree; they are the best. Why lie down in the most comfy position to try and see what causes the pain? I agree that being upright would show the best picture of what the discs are doing. I am moving back to MO, here in NV they don't have any upright ones; I will seek out one in MO though to help better diagnose my neck. It only hurts when I am upright or sitting/standing., So why have me lie down??????? I am interested in this too. What cities or states have them for sure???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
(male)

aardvark555 HB User

I went to FONAR.com and emailed them. They sent emailed me a spreadsheet with all the locations in the US. I am in MO and the closest one on the list was in KY. I have been pretty curious, also... I just can't spend the money unless I know it will help. I flew to CA for a MRN and it was a waste of money, for me anyway.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

I had the stand up one here in Fla, and it was GREAT!, I stood on the tape on the floor and didn't move and the machine made one complete circle around me and that was it!.
I had another one of my MRI's laying down (Different Place), I thought it was a CT Scan machine, looked just like a donut. I asked and was told it was the new MRI we have here now. And only the lower spine went in the machine and came back out and it was over. My Surgeon got it on CD and even gave me a copy long before Surgery (it helped with any doubt's, I could just pop it into my computer and see the mess).
I just said WOW
Stardust

Old 03-22-2005, 02:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bionicwan HB User

Hi

I've not had the luck of an open MRI but I did just have a new one done.

I was planning on finally being able to try the "New Open One" 'cuz I am also, VERY claustrophobic

I was stunned when my NS said, "NO" the open MRI's are not as defined and do not yield results as good as closed MRI so I had to again go in the tomb.

I had never heard this had he not pointed it out.. I would have done it

And back in 2001 an MRI (and subsequent radiologist report) showed "No Herniations" like you, my surgeon opened me up and I had a massive herniation - disc fragments everywhere and the time I waited to have surgery and the length of time and manipulation during sx - left me w/permanent nerve damage.

Seems we always come back to the proven motto, "Listen to your body"
I KNEW something was wrong & luckily my Dr believed me.

Bionic Witch

>> StarDust:

The CD'S are awesome I did get one from my CT & Bone scan - will ask for the MRI as well.

Last edited by Bionicwan; 03-22-2005 at 02:30 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
(female)

SadieNY HB User

??? with my problems in my back having had L4 L5 Si1 anterior lumbar surgery metal cages bone grafting and such.. I was told I can't have another MRI because of the Magnetic thinger in the MRI and with the metal in my back it would litleraly pull them out.. My Question is are others having MRI with metal in their backs ??? I do understand not all back ops come out with Metal cages and screws or rods and such.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sandollar HB User

That was the first thing I asked my Doc. He told me they use a special metal, I think he said Titanium, but not sure. He told me, yes I could have future MRI'S. I saw the type of cages I have and they are shaped like a wedge and made of plastic. As for the bone graft, unless your surgeon told you he was doing that, they now use a synthetic BMP on the sponges inside the cages.
Stardust

Old 03-22-2005, 05:52 PM   #8

1short HB User

I had an MRI sitting-excellent for me. It still did not show us any problem, but the MRI was a good expierience. You can either stan or sit or lay-sitting is their prefered way. They told me sitting shows all the same benefits as standing. You sitdown on their chair-the machine brings you back into two large dises one on each side of you-VERY CRAMPED and I am only 5'4 and 160 #s. The guy ahead of me had a bad time but he was over 300#s and you fit in the same area-the side dishes do not move. They said they get everyone to slide in, but it can get interesting-but for me I highly recommend as I can do the open sided but NOT THE CLOSED.

Closed Thread