It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #1
(male)

larry2210 HB User
is a physiatrist the same as a pm doctor

is a physiatrist the same as a pm doctor. please let me know what they do differently. thanks
larry

ps this is a wonderful board. I want to thank everyone who is reading and or answering my questions.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran

AlSmith HB User
Re: is a physiatrist the same as a pm doctor

Larry, I do believe they are the same. I am not 100% sure however. I am glad to see you have found support here.

Alan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

PeachJam HB User

Both are MDs however a physiatrist emphasis is more on rehabilitation whereas a pm dr is more on just that pain mgt. Originally pm was a specially for chronic condition such as cancer. More of a palliative care approach. However they are gaining tremendous support from insurance companies. For example it is more cost effective to insert a pain pump for a chronic pain suffering than to keep them on oral opiates so insurance companies are becoming more supportive of the specialty.

Glad to see that you are enjoying the boards!

Old 02-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=larry2210]is a physiatrist the same as a pm doctor. please let me know what they do differently. thanks
larry

ps this is a wonderful board. I want to thank everyone who is reading and or answering my questions.[/QUOTE]

Hi Larry... Hope this helps........

[U]A PYSCHIATRIST[/U]: is a physician who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of mental, addictive, and emotional disorders, such : Anxiety,Depression, Developemental disabilities, Psychosis, Substance abuse, and Sexual dysfunction.

[U]PAIN MANAGEMENT DOCTORS[/U] : are experts at diagnosing why you are having pain as well as treating the pain itself. Some of the more common pain problems they manage include: arthritis, back and neck pain, cancer pain, nerve pain, migraine headaches and many others.

They also manage acute pain caused by surgery, a debilitating illness or a serious injury. Examples include: back and neck pain, before and after surgery, pain after a knee-joint replacement, pain during recovery from a car accident. You may be treated in the hospital or in an outpatient clinic.

The pain medicine doctor will work closely with your primary care doctor, Pain medicine doctors will review your medical records and X-rays as needed. They will ask you to describe your pain in detail, such as where it hurts, for how long, what makes the pain worse or what makes it feel better. They may ask you to fill out a detailed questionnaire that helps them to assess the impact that your pain is having on your lifestyle and if it is interfering with your daily activities. They also will do a complete physical examination on you. They may need to order other tests and will then review all of their findings to determine what is causing your pain and how the problem can be corrected. Pain medicine doctors are usually Anesthesiologists as well. They preform procedures such as Epidural Steroid Injections, Nerve Blocks, and many other procedures, usually done under a form of Anesthesia either local or general....

Hope this helped clear this up for ya a bit....

Take Care.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Quietcook]Hi,

Peachjam is correct in their reply.

Have used both, such as the psysiatrist when bursitis and some minor injuries hit me. They physiatrist did both the injections and oral meds along with therapy to treat the injuries. However, even after the injury was long since healed, the pain continued. He explained that while the muscles were now healed and working properly, that the nerves had hurt so intensely for so long that in essence they forgot how to not send the "hurting" signal. I was sent to a PM doc who did injections into those particular nerves every couple of weeks for several months until the nerves quit sending out the pain signal.

Don't know if the PM ever uses oral meds or just does the injections, as that was my only time to need pain management. Had the need for psyiatrist several times but success of treatment was not successful for me, but I would not refuse to see one again if my doctor recommended it.

Aren't these boards wonderful?

Quietcook[/QUOTE]

Yes Pain Management uses oral meds too.... my pain management doc is the one the perscribed all my oral meds..... Methadone, Zanaflex, and the Zoloft.... My Pyschiatrist told me I would have to see my Pain management doc in order to even get my Zoloft....

Old 02-01-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 02:42 PM.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Quietcook]Thanks, good to know that the PM also uses oral meds, but must ask a question. Do you realize that the original post was about a physiatrist and not pyschiatrist? Am asking because of the definitions you gave. Have to admit that I didn't know what a physiatrist was until my original ortho doc referred me to one.

Quietcook[/QUOTE]

Nope didn't know that.. just thought you spelled Psychiatrist wrong....never heard of a Physiatrist...but I looked up the definition.. and now I know what it is for future reference.

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 02-01-2005 at 09:52 PM.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

A psychiatrist deals with mental issues.

A PM manages your pain.

A Physiatrist either an MD or a DO who has specialized in physical medicine. Any of the above can manage your pain. The physiatrist is highly specialized.
To become a physiatrist, individuals must successfully complete four years of graduate medical education and four additional years of postdoctoral residency training. Residency training includes one year spent developing fundamental clinical skills and three additional years of training in the full scope of the specialty.

Find which one works for you. Only the PM can do injections or manipulations.

hope this that helps,

Closed Thread