It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
(male)

v8crazy HB User
Myelogram

I had a microdiscectomy last Sept. for herniated disc at L5 S1.It really helped my leg pain a lot but my back still hurt. In november I had another MRI but it didn't show anything. Janurary 4th I had a ESI and it seemed to have helped my back pain some but it made leg pain come back but not quite as bad as before. January 24th I had a Selective Nerve Root Block that worked for two days and now back pain is as bad as before and still have leg pain.
Now NS wants to do a Myelogram. My question is what can a Myelogram show that a MRI couldn't show? I'm about to give up hope that I will ever be normal again. Thanks

Old 02-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
(male)

man74 HB User
Re: Myelogram

Hi,
This is my first post to this board. I think the main purpose of a myelogram is to look at bulging disks. I think it's gives a little better look at them than an MRI does. Myelograms are followed up by CT's of the area of the spine of interest. The proceedure is tollerated well by most, but some suffer bad headaches. I can find out more tomorrow for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 AM   #3
(female)

alexcasper HB User

[QUOTE=v8crazy]Now NS wants to do a Myelogram. My question is what can a Myelogram show that a MRI couldn't show? I'm about to give up hope that I will ever be normal again. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Your story sounds almost identical to mine. I had lost all hope, but it's come back to me. I had a myelogram last fall. The myelogram shows the nerves and the nerve endings and whether any are being compressed in a much more detailed manner than an MRI. My myelogram wasn't any big deal a little uncomfortable but very tolerable.

Have you had any PT? My NS doesn't normally send microdiscectomy patients to physical therapy but went ahead and had me go. It did wonders for me, took away my leg pain slmost 100%. I've been achy this week but I think I slept funny on it the other night. You should ask you NS to send you to PT and give it a try if you haven't.

The other thing is my NS told me it can take up to 1-2 years for everything to heal. Six months ago that frustrated the heck out of my but as I am approaching the one year date I can see that he's right. You're only 4 months post op, it sounds like you may just need a little more time. I know that's not what you want to hear right now!

Go ahead and have the myelogram done this way you will have the peace that you've done all you can to make sure there is still nothing structurally wrong and that nerves are just still honked off from being compressed before surgery and being moved about during surgery.

Hope this helps in anyway,

Kim in Indy

Old 02-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Check this out about myelograms brain-spine.com/helpbook/myelogram.html (if we can put that here)

A myelogram is a relatively safe, special x-ray examination of the spinal cord and canal. Liquid contrast medium is injected into the spinal canal and makes these structures visible on a fluoroscope screen, x-ray film, and CT scan. It is important to tell your doctor if you are allergic to IODINE. Myelograms are used to diagnose
disc problems, spinal tumors, or other structural abnormalities. When ordering a myelogram, the doctor will carefully explain the procedure to you. Special risks of myelography include nausea, vomiting, headache, a 1 in 10,000 chance of seizure, and possible need for a blood patch (explained in the next section) if delayed headaches persist.

Closed Thread