It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 08:11 AM   #16
(female)

tanamodessi HB User
Re: How to lose some weight?

I quit smoking before my first fusion 14months ago and now I am trying to get rid of 20 extra pounds. I'm terrible with self control because when you're already in pain its hard to make your self suffer anymore by dieting but this week [B]I have lost 6 pounds!!!! [/B] But it wasnt anything that I had done: I have been taking Prozac for a week and I have been really sicky feeling!!! ~~~DEBBIE~~~

Last edited by tanamodessi; 02-03-2005 at 08:11 AM.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 AM   #17
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

~~~Debbie~~~

I was taking Prozac about twelve years ago. I loved the fact that I lost weight on it but you have to really watch the weight part of it. I lost thirty pounds but had started out at 115. I never wanted to eat and I was wired all of the time. I got down to being so thin that people thought that I had AIDS.

I started a chart on my frig to make sure that I got the right foods and vitamins. It was hard to eat because nothing tasted like food. I lost interest in foods and sex and just about everything inbetween.

I am not saying that this will happen to you, but if you start to lose too much weight and find yourself not eating, adjust your dose or ask your doctor to find something else that might work.

Losing weight is great, and when I start to put on a pound or two, I think about my Prozac experience. My husband was force feeding me Ensure so I would not die, there in the end. Ensure was enough to make me stop and take a serious look in the mirror.

I had always worn baggy clothes and have no mirrors in my house, so had no idea why people were starring at me. Looking back now, I wish that someone had shared this with me.

When you start to lose weight, you lose water weight and then muscle weight. Your body holds on to fat. Make sure that you exercise while losing the weight so that you lose the bad weight and not muscle.

take care,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #18
(female)

tanamodessi HB User

WOW!!! Thanks Betty!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #19
(male)

Stan3 HB User
Smile Re: How to lose some weight?

More than a year ago, I dropped my weight from about 84 kilos to 68 and have maintained it there within 2 kilos ever since (I am a 58 year old male and 186 cm tall).

I did exercise regularly, but that is not the key to my weight loss. The essential thing for me was to eat at fixed times - 6-12-6 - and to avoid eating between meals. I also make sure that I know how much I'm going to eat before I start and then take my time doing it. Typically, I have a glass of wine with dinner and take about 30 minutes to eat it. Other than that, I don't pay particular attention to the types of food which I eat although I try load up on carbs and reduce protein.

Set realistic goals and be gentle on yourself. Your body knows when its time to stop eating. Just take your time and listen.

Regards, Stan

Old 02-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #20
(female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

Check with your doctor. A side effect of Zoloft can be weight gain. Maybe you could switch to another antianxiety med

Old 02-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Hey Mel!
I was always the 'skinny' girl until I got pregnant and gained 50 pounds! Prior to pregnancy I weighed 130-135, I've only dropped about 10-15 lbs and now with all the crap going on with my back I can't seem to do get down any further. I know it sounds insane, especially for people who have fought with there weight, but I don't know how to diet. I never had to, so it's strange to me! At any rate, I just bought the Windsor Pilates dvd. I'll keep you posted on my status.
Good Luck
M

Old 02-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I have been on the zoloft for over a year, so I doubt that is causing sudden weight gain, and I mean sudden. One week I was 129 then two weeks later 134. I know that is not a lot, but when you haven't been active that is scary. I think if I just get my lazy butt off to the workout room and atleast walk on the treadmill, I will lose it and gain my muscle mass back(I don't mind gaining weight if i know it is muscle). I just gotta do it, ya know? My dr hadn't given me any words on what I should do as far as working out etc... I should be seeing him again before we move and I will ask then. In the meantime, walking on the treadmill is a start. I appreciate all the advice given to me regarding this. I got some apples, bananas, and rice cakes to snack on. With any luck I will be able to drop the five pounds in a week ish.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #23
Veteran
(female)

ltedeschi HB User

I know most of you know my story and the three back surgeries in a year. (two being fusion) I also have added 20!!! pounds.
What I wanted to add is that three surgeons I had opinions with before third surgery said no treadmill it is hard on back and after surgery no way.
I would ask my doctor about the treadmill.
Good luck
Lisa

Old 02-06-2005, 12:28 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

darn, okay, I'll ask. What about the eliptical trainer???? We have one of those too. If we have a recumbant bike that might be good as well. ONe problem I found though, the reason I look poochier is b/c of my abdomen scar. I bet that is one reason. I can't condition that right now since the muscles are still healing. I read someone said something about breathing to tone, might try that when in bed. We'll see...

Closed Thread