HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   How to lose some weight? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/248896-how-lose-some-weight.html)

mel1977 02-01-2005 09:10 PM

How to lose some weight?

I am filling out. Ever since my surgery I want sweets. My cravings for a smoke are getting worse (and with all this new stress it is WORSE), and I can't stop eating. I never ever ate for comfort. I eat for boredom and am losing my good battle of staying slim. I am not over weight, I am 5'5" or so and weigh around 133 or so. I just don't want it to get worse. If I could work out I could eat whatever and stay the same(have been for years) but now I can't work out! Can I start doing something? I don't know!!!! Seriously, I can't gain anymore.....I am starting to hate how I look too and with me not able to dress nice because of my brace, and my hair is crappy, and now we have no money (shopping even if just twenty bucks makes me feel good). I am spiraling down and I feel like there is NOTHING I can do. HELP ME. I don't want to fall into depression. I am already on Zoloft for anxiety, that is the last thing I need!

Where is everyone? I see many new names(welcome by the way, happy in a sad way you are all here, hope we can all help eachother!) but seems many are gone since my move.

beachgirl01 02-01-2005 09:17 PM

Re: How to lose some weight?

Hey Mel,
I'm guessing you don't have a treadmill. If not then I would suggest go to the store and getting a work out tape or two. There are ones that show you how to walk in spot and they kind of switch it up a bit so it's not so boring. Can you start going swimming, even just a couple times a week would be great. Swimming would ultimately be the best thing for you in your situation. Well, hope that helps a bit. Talk to you soon. Kristy. ;)

mel1977 02-01-2005 09:23 PM

I had walk away the pounds but it bores me. I have The firm, buns and abs of steel and a few others. I just don't think I am allowed to jump around right now. My brace makes it hard to walk right (tempted to leave it off, but don't want to risk anything). I am only 1.5 months post op, remember? My dr doesn't want me in PT now so I don't know if I can do much else. My mom has a treadmill, so when we move I'll have that, but again. Walking bores me too much. I guess I wonder if I can do some aerobics as long as I don't bend and so on. I have some three pound weights too. I really really really need to do ab exercises!

Age17witbadback 02-01-2005 09:31 PM

Hi Mel-

I know the feeling of gaining weight after surgery! IT SUCKS!! And wearing a brace doesnt help matters either. Anyways after my first surgery I gained a little more weight than I'd wanted so my physical therapist told me she was on the Atkins diet, so I gave it a try. Within a week I think I lost 10 pounds (walking speeds the process) so I continued the diet. I stayed on it for about a month and a half and lost forty pounds. I felt great! But then I started gaining some back becuase I discovered my surgery failed and I couldn't swim or walk anymore. I recently had surgery again about 3 weeks ago and started the Atkins diet once again. It makes me feel really good knowing I'm losing weight. It is hard to get off the addiction of sweets (can't have any carbs) but believe me it's worth it in the end! I dont know if this is something you'd try but I just thought I'd share my story becuase I know the feeling!

~mandy~

injured betty 02-01-2005 10:10 PM

Mel, I was watching a program on PBS last night in regards to not only life styles but weight loss. There were two doctor's from India on it. They had laid out a very reasonable way to eat. No refined white flour, no white sugar, only fresh fruits and vegatables, no butter, only the byproduct, Ghee. Plain, organic yogurt after lunch and only after lunch. Snack on peppercorns and honey. No tea (chai is okay), no coffee. They called it The Path. They said that if you could stick to this path, no falling off of the wagon, that you could cleanse your body. They also said to eat only what the body needs and no more, the optimum is what the body needs, anymore is converted to fat. Fat is bad because, although it just sits there, it depends on blood flow. That takes blood flow from the vital organs. They also said that your body only needs enough food to fuel the energy that you are going to use that day and any left over is turned to fat.

The two doctors went on to tell about all of the diseases that are not found in India but that are found here and that studies have shown that when people from India move here and adopt the American way of life, they too fall in to the world of diseases.

They were very adamant that the only thing that this path would not cure would be pain. But, if you follow this path, degeneration of the body will slow down, and some conditions can be reversed after only following the path for one month's time.

It is an easy, inexpensive path to follow and it sounds to me like it would be a great diet, as well as a way of detoxifying the body.

I am going to give it a try starting next Monday,

Remember, you are recovering from surgery. Your body does not need as much fuel. This would be the time to cut back on everything that your body does not need.

Hope that this works for you,
:angel:

memawhurts 02-01-2005 10:13 PM

I used the weight watchers method and lost about 30 pounds, but it took me about 3 months to do it. But I really liked it because I could eat whatever I wanted. You just have to count the points. It's more about portion control. It's a little work to start off with, but after a couple of weeks you can usually remember how many points there are for what you eat. They have the books to tell you how many points different things are and they even have one for dining out.

Hopes this helps a little. It's an option and it really works and you start to feel a lot healthier soon after you start.

Good Luck,
Memaw

beachgirl01 02-01-2005 10:19 PM

Hey Mel,
I know walking can be kinda boring, I try to do the treadmill everyday but it's tough. What about an eliptical machine or a bike? And again swimming would be so good because there is no resistance. Good luck, I hope you find something that works. I wouldn't worry too much about it right now because it is so soon after your surgery. Just watch what you eat and try to do little things as you can. Once your doctor gives you the go ahead, I'm sure you'll get right back on track. Take care. Kristy. ;)

mel1977 02-01-2005 10:37 PM

I just don't know WHAT is okay for me to do-I don't want to risk messin' up anything. I appreciate all the diet help, but I have my own weight loss thing, so to speak but I can't control it right now.I use the 'ole countin' calorie thing. Usually, when I start to fill out, I just do vigorous aerobics with some weight training and I can lose five in a week-I just can't do normal workouts and I am walking around quite a bit. I think a lot is my abdominal muscles. That scar is long enough and one side bulges more. I don't know if I can do anything for that right now. I was 155 and dropped to 125. I have pretty much been able to keep it under 140 since, and under 135 for the past year. I guess I just should call my dr and ask what he thinks I can do without causing me problems. Thanks everyone!

beachgirl01 02-01-2005 10:43 PM

That's exactly right, call your doctor, see what he says and go from there. Good luck. Kristy. ;)

injured betty 02-01-2005 11:41 PM

I think for me, the most important thing to remember is that the only thing ath enters your body, enters through your mouth, so you have a choice in what you weigh. If you take in more than you burn off, it is a simple matter of mathmatics. If you want to lose weight, you have to put in less than you want to burn off.

I know that it is not for everyone but I eat 1200 calories a day. I walk up to five miles a day. If I am going to indulge in a treat, I walk longer.

The body and weight are very simple concepts.

If ya eat your five veggies a day, and five fruits, and you poteins, with lots of water, the weight should fall off. I have never seen anyone get fat on fruits and veggies. My grandpa used to tell me that I could eat buckets of broccoli and not gain a pound and he was right.

We tend to fall into eating out of habit, pleasure, stress, social situations, etc. Our body is our temple and we should treat it as such.

We can't control what goes on around us, but we can control our bodies and what we put into them.

stepping off of my soap box now,

:)

Jessie1 02-02-2005 05:13 AM

Mel, I agree with Memaw- Weight Watchers is great. It's healthy and it really does work. You also don't need to exercise to do it- exercise helps the weight come off faster, but it's not a mandatory part of the program. It might be something to try since you can't exercise much right now. Also, you get lots of support from others at the meetings. Good luck! :)

cincigirl 02-02-2005 05:45 AM

So sorry to hear you are feeling so crappy. I know that spiraling feeling. Seems like once you start, everything follows, even the little stuff seems major. My suggestion, is to get up and walk. We all know we are allowed to do that. Walk more than you have before, its the best excersize anyway! Drink tons of water, that will fill you up and you won't have room for any food. And just know that soon this will all be over and you will be feeling so much better, that is what I keep telling myself, ....I know I will hurt and be mad and upset, and depressed, but I can't wait not to hurt when I move, I can't wait to be able to play with my kids, I can't wait to be able to get down on the floor, and get back up, I can't wait to be able to get out of bed. Think of all the positives you have, your family and the future you can now enjoy because of your surgery.
I'll pray for you. Hang in there. :angel:

mel1977 02-02-2005 04:11 PM

thanks all. I think I just need to CARE a little more now. I was always able to control my cravings before, so no reason I can't do that now. I think I feel a little overwhelmed with it all and just don't care. I have always eaten healthy and this time is the only time I haven't. But, I really think the smoking thing is the biggest deal. I want to smoke so bad right now, and every time I think of it, I shove food in my mouth. That is it I believe. We haven't gone to the store either and with all the moving and stuff we've eaten fast food more in the past two weeks and actually since my surgery (since I couldn't cook, hubby was too tired, we'd go out or order pizza) that alone is enough. I usually cook a meat, veggie and good side and we eat healthy. So, I think once I am cooking again (gotta get to the store, we have no food right now) and I get my apples and stuff, we'll do much better and once I find out what I can do, I can cut down again and lose these five stupid pounds.

victorita 02-02-2005 08:30 PM

Itīs the smoking thing... itīs the oral thing. You could try to do other things with your hands... like idunno what... but...

Also, arenīt there stomach exericises you can do? My pt had me just doing deep breathing, and just pulling my stomach muscles inward. If you do it and hold it, itīs just like doing sit ups, only with no back stress.

I felt pretty fat when I was recovering, but it was mostly because of the muscles being lose.

Good luck!

myspine 02-02-2005 08:36 PM

:wave: Mel
Wow I am glad someone else is having this problem too! I have 7 lbs that have all the sudden stuck to me and believe me it aint water :nono: Anyway I worked so hard and lost all the weight and got in great shape before my surgery in June and I see it falling apart in front of the mirror :eek: Anyway what makes it worse is I have been getting up like every 1 1/2 hours at night because of all this crappy pain I can not sleep so I end up getting a snack several times a night , I guess it soothes the misery. So I am going to get rid of these extra pounds before it turns from 7 into 17 then so on and I undo every thing I did all year. ;)
Shelley