It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
(male)

alextjb99 HB User
can't walk for more than 5 min. without leg pain, PLEASE HELP!

Hello all, my name is alex and i am 21. This christmas i finally went to a great neurosurgeon to get my back checked out after having pain in my legs since about august. To my dismay he informed me that i had two herniated discs at L4 and L5.

Now here is my question to all of you. I cannot go 5 minutes without walking or even standing. Running and sports i completely had to stop on the advisment of the surgeon. I'm wondering if this is normal. I also have problems sleeping because my legs will sometimes go numb at night.

I am beginning to consider surgery as nothing so far has worked including excercise, PT, pills, bed rest. This is very discouraging for my because i was a very athletic person before this and now cannot due anything i used to do. I also am graduating in 6 months and am worried that any job i will have to be standing and walking and since obviously i can't do that i am very concerned.

Sorry to be long winded, any advice would be very appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: can't walk for more than 5 min. without leg pain, PLEASE HELP!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

This sounds like a broken record, but I've had PT many times & there ARE different kinds of PT. The one that helped my herniated disc was McKenzie PT. You can do a search for it on the internet & it tells some basics about it. Try everything before surgery. You are so young, I'd hate to see you start on the surgery merry-go-round already.

Old 02-02-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jessie1 HB User

Have you tried any injections yet? They're not going to solve your problem, but they may provide you with some relief and help you put off surgery. Lori is right, you want to avoid surgery as long as you can. It is definitely a last resort thing. Get a second/third opinion, and see what those docs have to say. I know where you're coming from- I'm 24 and I've been having back problems since I was 22. Our spines don't know how old we are, they just know what stresses and traumas we've subjected them to. Good luck, and let us know if we can help!

Jessie

Old 02-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #5

JWHIT HB User

Ditto on all suggestions before me! You are so young to have to go through this. I am so sorry for you. The injections might be a great idea for you, give you a chance to strenghthen your stomach and low back muscles for more support! I hope whatever you do, it works for you! It's true, there are alot of great success stories with back surgeries, but some are not so great! But living with back pain sucks too! Good Luck with what ever you choose, don't rush into anything! (Like I needed to say that) I'm a mom so I say silly things like that to my 21 year old too!
Take Care! Jean

Old 02-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
(female)

Valley HB User
Smile Re: can't walk for more than 5 min. without leg pain, PLEASE HELP!

Hi, I know what you are going thru, I can't walk more than 5 minutes without my back hurting so bad that I can't hardly walk, and if I keep trying to , I get these spasms in my back that I almost fall. It sure isn't any fun, but hang in there and get a correct diagnosis.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
(female)

bellsudev HB User

I just got out of hospital, I had pain in my left leg and could not walk or stand on it, The last surgery I had left the outside of my leg numb, this time when I went to the hospital the inside of my leg and foot went numb.At the hospital they first gave me valium, then 2 other pain killers then 3 tries with morphine all of which did not work, finally they gave me plain old motrin it reduced the swelling and inflamation and by the next day was able to walk and stand. They sent me home with a prescription for it. I have severe stenosis, and a bulging disc. I've been home for two weeks now and no further pain so far, but if I walk to much can feel the irritation growing, so I only take the motrin if I need to, and don't push it, Try sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees, less stress on the back. this is not a cure but will hopefully give you some relief until you can decide what to do.The doctors were surprised at the success of the motrin.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #8

Beagle lover HB User

Alex-you have pinched nerves in your legs from your back-you need to get the pressure off those nerves. I posted about Dr. Jho on here-read it -go to him- and you will get your life back with no long term problems. I can't praise him highly enough-

Old 02-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #9
(male)

alextjb99 HB User

thanks to everyone for responding. I just got some decent news, I went and talked to a new physical therapist and we did electro stim for about 20 min. and it did help a bit. She also is going to refer me to a really good orthopedic guy that is here in gainesville. So hopefully i am on the right track. I still think and want surgery because the pain makes it to were i almost can't live a normal life, but at least some of the pain went away today. Ok, talk to you all later

Old 02-05-2005, 01:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Alex, I know you are in horrible pain, I've been there many times, but I want to caution you about rushing into surgery. It should be the last resort for you. Many people think once they have surgery that their backs are stronger & that just isn't true. Also, you will have scar tissue from surgery & that can cause pain down the road for you. I'm not saying that surgery is a bad thing, in some cases it is the only answer, but being so young, you should try everything else first. There are many other treatments that you can try first. I would hate to see you have surgery so young. You know that just cause you have surgery, does not prevent you from having another herniated disc somewhere else at a later time.
Please consider all options before having surgery.
PT & other types of treatment take time, but they can work. Do some reading here about others who have had surgery before you make your decision.

Closed Thread