It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 02:55 PM   #1

ch04 HB User
update 4mths post op please read

Hi all

Well its 4 mths now since my 360 fusion l5s1 plif with cages and srews

Firstly ITS BEEN HELL

if any one has read any of my posts in the past you now why ,
but i think there is light at the end of the road !!!
BUT
there is always a BUT !
I seem to have a good 2 weeks and then feel S***t ?
Went back to work 3 weeks ago im doing about 7 hrs a day
Still trying to walk every day which is good , MY doc will not start me on any PT for another 2mths realy dont now Y , but he did say 3 weeks ago I could start swiming .
Which is great I go with the fam ,and the kids love it BUT i now when i have done 2 much .

Work is getting me down a bit I seem 2 be sitting again for 2 long and of course then im in pain or realy bad ache

Is it right to have these periods of bad aching across the mid back and somtimes in the hips ?

any way its nice to read some of the posts on here I havnt been on for a while , trying 2 get my life back

I 'm worrying a bit about the pain and aching im in at the mo but last week I was good .

Any comments will b great

thanks 2 you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User
Re: update 4mths post op please read

I'll repeat what my doctor told me (even at 4 months)....you just had very major surgery. It's going to take a very long time to feel better. The aches you're feeling are muscles still trying to learn their place and new duties. Keep walking. Tylenol at work.

Ask yourself this.. do you feel better or worse than you did the day before surgery?

You'll get there.. really. I still have a few bad days mixed in with the good. Those are the days I either...work through it or give into it...depending on what my mind is capable of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

I agree 100% with hunni-some light stretching might benefit you in the short run, see if you can get some from your dr to do in the mean time.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I'm at seven months and when my back feels like I've done too much I just put my brace back on for a while. I also put it on if I'm going to drive a long distance or if I have to dig my car out.
fly

Old 02-03-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

I would bet that you pain is caused by lack of muscle use. My hamstrings and all were/are so so bad and that contributes to pulling the pelvis out in turn causing the lower back and sacrum to get pulled down. I started PT last week and I can see a difference. I am so glad that I'm finally able to stretch. My muscles were a mess and they can screw alot up. I'm a bit confused about why you can't start PT. I have heard that most doctor allow it by 3 months. I hope that you feel better soon. Hang in there!!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 10:01 AM   #6

JWHIT HB User

Remember every patient and Dr. are different! The first fusion with different Dr. I was doing P.T at 10 wks. (posteroir with hardware, bone graft only). Wow, that is funny to say ONLY! Now I am at 3 mos. post op from 2 level L4/L5 S1 360 with hardware and bone graft, still wearing hardshell brace and P.T is about 2 mos. away (at least that was at my last visist 2 wks ago) I do feel as though the pain I have is muscle and nerve. The middle of my back is still numb to touch. Both bone graft scars hurt alot still. It was a major surgery for all of us. Try not to be to hard on yourself, it sounds like your doing great! I can't wait to swim. Most of my P.T in the past has been in the pool or the tank that fills with water and has a treadmill in it. I forgot what it was called! Good Luck and keep doing what your doing, you sound like you are on the right track!
Jean

Old 02-03-2005, 11:09 AM   #7

ch04 HB User

Thanks for all your words

yes I do feel better than the day befor the op .
BUT
the aching is getting me down a bit , I did have a lot of aching before hand so it just worrys me thats want Im left with

Im trying some inner core mus exes VERY GENtal ones

Can any one give any tips

Chris 2310
(UK)

Old 02-03-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Walk. Walk Walk Walk... and then Walk some more.
Is your pain different than before surgery? It's most likely muscles. It's good that you're doing core exercises. Stretch your hamstrings too. Strengthen the abs.

It will come. I know it gets you down - positive attitude is what you need though. Remind yourself how much better you are than you were 2 months ago... and find a victory in every day, no matter how small.

If you find your depression doesn't pass soon, notify your general doctor. They can put you on an anti-depressant temporarily.

Old 02-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #9
(female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

I am only 4 weeks post op. But if fusion is happening then things are OK right? The sensations you feel must just mean that you need to retone your muscles -- someday.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:31 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Rhonni HB User

Not sure what you're feeling, but yes, after fusion surgery you do get a lot of screaming muscles.

There are some ab muscle toning and some hamstring stretches you can do even at 4 weeks. As long as you're not bending, lifting, or twisting, or putting stress on your back (do everything in a supported position) and in moderation, you're fine.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #11
(female)

aprilfoolgirl HB User

Yes I actually was told at 2 weeks that I could do some upper body work with bands and walk on the treadmill. I never had much pain either before or after surg - posterior L3-4-5-fusion - so it is hard to remember to move carefully. The brace helps though

Closed Thread