It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Lower back spasms....owwww..help!

I hurt my lower back on Sunday and it didn't really start hurting bad until Tuesday. I went to work Tuesday and had to sit in a chair for 5 hours before the pain was too much and I had to leave. When I got home from work I almost could not get out of my vehicle. My back was spasming so much I could not move. Then I finally found a way to get out but was pretty much sobbing the whole time. I laid in bed for the entire night and then tried to go to work today. I made it two hours and then tried to get up to go to the bathroom and I could not get up. I ended up going home but barely made it there. I can tell it's just a muscle that is doing that to me. How long does something like this normally last? I don't know how much longer I can just lay in bed and I can't afford not to go to work but I know there is no way I will be able to tomorrow. By the way I hurt my back by lifting something way to heavy.

Old 02-02-2005, 07:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Lower back spasms....owwww..help!

Also I have taken about 8 Ibuprofen today and 1 Aleve in about a 12 hour period of time. Usually they make me really tired but it's amazing how back spasms wake a person right up. I have used a heating pad, ice packs. I guess it just takes time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mel1977 HB User

Maybe try some very light stretching? LIke lying on your back and slowly pulling both knees to your chest, or one knee at a time? Then apply heat, then ice. OR, apply heat, do the stretch, then apply ice. If nothing helps, maybe you should get into see a dr. Best wishes to you Kari.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

Go to your doctor, you may have more than muscle injury. If the spasms are that bad, PT can help. They can do ultra sound & massages to help get rid of the spasms. The longer you let it go, the worse they get. Five years ago, I let a lower back pain go too long & it took them a month to get my back out of spasm. All I did was go to sit down in a chair & bam, sharp pain.

You have no way of knowing it's just muscles. I was lifting bags of pea gravel this past spring & got my SI joint all out of whack, ended up in PT & they fixed it. Also, the hip can be out of whack too from lifting.

My suggestion is to see a doctor & not try to treat it yourself.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

Valley HB User
Smile Re: Lower back spasms....owwww..help!

Hi, did you hurt your back at work? if you did you need to report it to your supervisor. And I agree get to your doctor as soon as possible, don't suffer needlessly. He can give you some muscle relaxers, and order test to see what is wrong. Please don't wait.

Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=Kari7171 By the way I hurt my back by lifting something way to heavy.[/QUOTE]

Chances are that it is just a pulled muscle and the spasming is the muscle trying to right itself.

Ice, rest, heat, stretches, and time.

It takes a couple of weeks to heal. Take it easy,

Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

mlachowicz HB User

Ice, slow stretching, rest and call a Dr. - - you never know!!! Good Luck!
~M~

Old 02-03-2005, 11:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

You should check with your doctor and see if he might help by prescribing a muscle relaxant, like Flexeril.

whackedback

Old 02-03-2005, 12:24 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I went to the doctor and she gave me a shot in my lower back and then also prescribed Tordal,Flexeral,and Vicodin. I am to go back on Monday so she can check my progress. The shot helped a little but not as much as I would have hoped. If I move wrong it still spasms. I have to ice pack it three times a day she said. Then tomorrow try to stretch by putting my knees up to my chest which is no small task right now. Just lask week I was doing that and it was so easy. It was tough in the waiting room. I tried not to sit because that hurts and then getting up really really hurts. It was so hot in there I felt like I was going to pass out so I ended up sitting and getting up was pretty tough. I sure hope this gets better in a couple weeks like you say. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Kari -

I know from personal experience that Flexeril and Vicodin can make you very sleepy. Please take care when taking them. Don't be using the Back Hoe to dig any holes, OK?

whackedback

Old 02-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I am just supposed to take the Vicodin before bed. Then I take Toradol and Flexeril throughout the day. I do feel out of it totally. I slept until 2 today and had to force myself to get out of bed. I can sit in a chair now without by back going into spasms. I just wonder if it's just a bandaid and that once I stop taking the medication my back would start spasming again. Do the medications help in the healing process? Or is it just a cover up for the pain?

Old 02-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
(female)

misery HB User

cover for the pain!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

The spasms are the bodies way of trying to move parts back where they belong or, like when you walk a long ways, your hamstrings and/or your calves spasm.

The Flexeril or any muscle relaxer is not good for you if you take it for more than a few days. The relaxers allow your muscles to calm down. But, you don't want them to calm down in the wrong position. I exercise while taking them to keep toned.

take care,

Old 02-04-2005, 11:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=Kari7171]I am just supposed to take the Vicodin before bed. Then I take Toradol and Flexeril throughout the day. I do feel out of it totally. I slept until 2 today and had to force myself to get out of bed. I can sit in a chair now without by back going into spasms. I just wonder if it's just a bandaid and that once I stop taking the medication my back would start spasming again. Do the medications help in the healing process? Or is it just a cover up for the pain?[/QUOTE]

You really need therapy for the muscles if they are that bad that they are spasming. I get ultra sound & massages at the pain clinic for the muscles, both are helping to heal the muscles. I don't get the stim as it doesn't seem to agree with me, when I got it, I had more muscle spasms.

Also, I use ice as much as needed to keep down the spasms. I know you said your doc said 3 times a day, but if you feel like it is going into a spasm, it won't hurt to apply ice for 15 mins to stop the spasm.

Also, if you are at all sensitive to meds, be sure you drink a glass of milk or eat something before taking the vicodin. It made me very nauseous. They switched me to ultracet & it doesn't upset my stomach at all.

Last edited by lori j; 02-04-2005 at 11:48 PM.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #15
(male)

skii6868 HB User

I have had lower back spasms off and on since I was 18. (Now 36). I have had to go to the ER 4 times because of it. The docs always told me that the back spasms became so severe that they caused a pinched nerve. Have any doctors offered that diagnosis to you?
The cause for my long term spasms is finally coming to fruition (severe disc degeneration; will have surgery later this year), but yours sound like a temporary injury and should heel well with time.
I can't add much to the great advice already given. Rest, PT, Ice, etc. Keep your doctor well informed and keep a close eye on how the meds are affecting you. They have had me on every med you stated and then some. None of them are healers but only temporary helpers. Hopefully you wont have to be on the meds very long and time will be the telling factor as to your progress.

Closed Thread