It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 12:47 AM   #1
(female)

tracy36 HB User
Lower Back Pain Frustrating

Hi
Just wandering if somebody can tell me in english what any of this means as I don't understand half of it .Narrowing of the disk,Bilateral pars interarticularis defects at L5,Displacement of the thecal sac at L5,anterior slippage of the upper that uncovers the intervertabral disc,some facet joint arthropathy,Discogenic impingement on the L5 nerves in their foraminae with neural flattening to the right.Spondylolisis.
hoping someone can tell me as i am in so much pain cant sleep or move
thanks
aussie

Last edited by tracy36; 02-03-2005 at 12:55 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Can Somebody Tell Me Please

[COLOR=Magenta]Bilateral pars interarticularis defects at L5,[/COLOR]

Spondylolysis (I found a picture of this on the net. It is like the facets seperated from the vertebre.)

Spondylolysis is a stress fracture or defect of the pars interarticularis in a vertebra. A stress fracture can occur at the pars interarticularis due to repetitive movements of extension and rotation which leads to an increase in shear forces in the lumbar spine. As shear forces increase, pressures on the facet joints increase. These forces are then transmited to the pars interarticularis. Since the pars interarticularis is small, it is unable to absorb repetitive shock which leads to the stress fracture.

[COLOR=Magenta]Displacement of the thecal sac at L5[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Magenta]anterior slippage of the upper that uncovers the intervertabral disc[/COLOR]

This would be part of the spondy

[COLOR=Magenta]some facet joint arthropathy,[/COLOR]

arthrtitis

[COLOR=Magenta]Discogenic impingement on the L5 nerves in their foraminae with neural flattening to the right[/COLOR]

This would cause pain.

[COLOR=Magenta]Spondylolisis[/COLOR].

stress fracture in one of the bones (vertebrae) that make up the spinal column

Sounds like you have a disc that has slipped due to either an injury that you might have felt or just over time. I think that they have to go in and either fuse or put in rods to hold your back in place or maybe you can see if PT helps. The arthritis would be caused by the body trying to hold itself in place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
(female)

Jillians HB User
Re: Can Somebody Tell Me Please

I have the same thing. Doctors like to not tell you what is really going on by giving you several fancy names for the same thing. Pars defect and spondolysis/spondolothesis is the same freaking thing. The pars is the bone that grows inward towards the spine on the very back of the vertebra. Pars defect and other terms are used to describe fracturing on the area. I had a L5-S1 fusion without fixing the fracture. What happened is part of my pars inticularis is now missing, pressing on nerves and causing pain. Actually spondoloysis decsribes a forward slipping of one vertebra over another. I recommend going to a good search engine like google and looking up the actual words in a medical dictionary. I did and boy was I steamed when I realized I was being told several different words for the exact same thing. So basically what you are looking at is disk herniation or degrading disk with forward slippage of the spine with a stress fractured vertebra. What happened to me was that I herniated two discs and they put so much pressure on the vertebra below it that it began to crack from the pressure and displacement of the spine. Let me know what else I can do to help. Jill P.S. I am now suffering from an unsuccessful surgery for the same thing.

Last edited by Jillians; 02-04-2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: misstake made

Closed Thread