It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
Exclamation Just found out something from Neuro, I was never told!!!!

Hi guys...Had to go talk to my Neurologist that originally did my surgery yesterday because MetLife had sent him paperwork, to fill out, asking if he agreed with what the Occupational Medicine Doctor they had sent me to had stated...(That I could return to work doing a sedentary job) Well, he did yet ANOTHER exam, and said that NO! he did not agree with this other doctor, and that he would say so in the paperwork to MetLife...

My Neuro also told me somehthing, He he said I probably wouldn't remember he had told me after my surgery... all this time I have been going from Doc to Doc... and Pain Management, and this and that trying to find out why I still have pain after my surgery... because I told him that my PM Doc had done a nerve block on my S1 nerve and told me that was my problem, from what he found with the nerve block... Anyway... My Neuro proceeds to tell me, that when he did the surgery he had to remove,overgrown tissue or scar tissue from around my S1 nerve root that had over grown there prior to surgery... and that, that is probably why I am having problems and pain still, or that possibly scar tissue has regrown there...but he continues to tell me they will not go in just to remove scar tissue because it will just grow back and cause the same problems again....NOWHERE in his surgery dictation notes is there anything about the scar tissue being removed from the S1 nerve root during surgery.. I was totally at a loss when he told me this... 8 months I have been trying to find out why I still have pain... Now I know possibly why......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User
Re: Just found out something from Neuro, I was never told!!!!

Texaswildrose:

No doctor likes to bad mouth another doctor or his practices so when one does, they dont' write it down. I have a DO who tells me who to go to and who has had their license to practice surgery has been pulled (they are now PM docs, surprise, surprise) and who to stay away from. This is unusual. Even if you live in a large metropolois, it is like living in a small town, all of the doctors play golf together or socialize together and word gets around.

What a doctor tells you might be different from what they write in your report, simply because they are looking out for themselves or their fellow doctors.

As for scar tissue, that is a hard one. True, it does grow back and that is the chance that everyone takes when they have surgery. My husband has scar tissue in his neck from his surgery. He can't breath and bend over at the same time. We asked about it and they said that it was a hazard of surgery. Not too comforting a thought.

A lot of scar tissue can be broken up with therapy but not if it is near a nerve. I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I have a friend who has scar tissue near her sciatic nerve. She takes and swears by, Neurotin. It doesn't work for me, makes me nuts, but it might work for you.

I think that they should tell all patients about scar tissue before surgery or shots.

take care,

Old 02-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]Texaswildrose:

She takes and swears by, Neurotin. It doesn't work for me, makes me nuts, but it might work for you.

I think that they should tell all patients about scar tissue before surgery or shots.

take care,
[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for the reply.......As far as Neurontin... Thats the first thing they tried me on.... they had to take me off of it.... It caused severe migraines.... and also made me feel really weird...severely loopy... and really effected my memory....I also have been on Keppra... it did nothing... and Zonegran, it made my skin hypersensitive, made my pain more intense....made me itch.. and a few other things... so they told me they had about exhausted all their options as far as Medications like Neurontin or the others...

Again Thanks... Take Care..

Old 02-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Tex, did you check the bottom of your OR notes to see when they were dictated? Mine were dictated two weeks after the fact and they look so generic they're useless. I told my surgeon next time I want a local so I know what's going on.
fly

Old 02-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
(female)

bellsudev HB User

I just got out of hospital for sciatic pain, they gave me valuim, 2 other pain killers and three servings of morphine nothing helped but motrin, it brought down the inflamation, I couldn't stand or walk, the doctors couldn't believe it.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
(male)

avglenn HB User

I had a micro-D last July, for 8mm herniated disc L5-S1. A couple months later my back pain seemed like it was worse than before surgery, plus I am still having probs. with both legs. I had an MRI done in Nov. 04 and it indicated a large amount of scar tissue around S1 nerve root. The doc. said my pains are prolly from all the scar tissue & some inflammation. So I am trying the epidural injections to see if it helps at all. I also remember my neuro. dr. that did the surgery saying how he couldnt do a "clean" cut thru the disc, that he had to burr it off because the disc was so calcified. Im wondering if thats why all the scar tissue, w/ the hardened disc pushing against the S1 nerve for so long then he had to grind it out ! Good thing I was out of it...

Old 02-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #7

Beagle lover HB User

Go online to {removed} website-Dr jho is great there are no bone fusions and he can work mulitple levels at one time. He did surgery on me-I researched him thoroughly. He is considered one of the top docs in the US. You can also email him at {remvoed}. If I'm not mistaken he can go in there with his minimally invasive technique get rid of the scar tissue and probably none will grow back using his method. He does surgery on patients who have had problems with the traditional surgery. You can't go wrong with him. He is in Pittsburgh and well worth the trip.

[ [b]please read the posting rules - no websites or emails[/b] ]

Last edited by moderator2; 02-04-2005 at 06:37 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - post doctors by name, city and state only

Closed Thread