It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2005, 03:03 AM   #1
(male)

rachelmc HB User
Unhappy does anyone have any remedies???? please read

For the last two days i have had a constant pain originating from the lower left side of my back (where the screws are and the bone was removed) which then goes down the front of my left leg to the knee and as silly as this sounds while i have the pain i have intense pins and needles.
I have taken panadine forte and nurofen plus (probably too many) as well as rubbing heat cream in and having a heat pack that is nearly too hot to touch but i have had no relief .
If anyone knows anything else i can try i would really appreciate it.
thanks rachel

Old 02-04-2005, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

aestrella411 HB User
Re: does anyone have any remedies???? please read

It's so hard to get rid of that kind of pain. Medicines only mask it and make you not care about it. I wish I knew something to tell you about any remedies for this but I don't know of any. Both heat and ice work temporarily to provide me some relief. Have you tried applying ice? The other way I get through the pain is that if I take a muscle relaxer like Flexeril, all it would do is knock me out but at least I won't have to wake up during the night in agonizing pain. As far as pain during the day, I wish I knew! I choose to work even though I'm in this pain but have no other choice so it gets hard when there really isn't anything I could do about the pain. I wish there was something more that I could tell you. The only other thing I can say is that we are on the same boat in that regard. I haven't had any surgery so I don't know what that's like but as far as pain that you can't get rid of, I'm all too familiar with that! Good luck I hope you can find some way of relief. -Anita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

misery HB User

There really isn't to much out there,try miost heat instead of dry.Dry can be more irratating,climb in the tub or put a damp dish towel on your heating pad.You could also try propping up with pillows.I wish you the best.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

carol632 HB User

If there is some inflammation in there, ice will work better along with anti-inflammatories...even aspirin. If a few days doesn't show any improvement, you should talk to your doctor. Could be bursitis.

Carol
morphine pump

Old 02-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
(male)

rachelmc HB User

thanks everyone, i have tried most of what has been recommended and will try what hasnt, it is driving me mad.
thanks again rachel

Old 02-04-2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

injured betty HB User

Quietcook,

No disrespect intended but I wasted my money on those Lidoderm patches so I am going to speak up. I did some reseach on these after I spent my money and they did not help in the least. They were invented (is that the correct term?) by a man whose wife needed something for surface pain. Derm stands for the skin and Lido is the meds involved. They are for burns, scrapes, etc. They don't go below the skin surface.

I say, if you are going to try them, ask for a sample and see how fast a doctor back pedals on that one. I have asked several doctors for samples once they try to prescribe them for me. Not one has one in his office.

just my two cents,

Old 02-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

This sounds like Sciatica to me. Was the fusion at the L3-4 area or near? The Sciatic runs down and out under the glutes, and runs down the back of your thigh. Around the knee, the nerve that originates from the L3-4 area then wraps around the outside of the calf and ends at the middle toe.

Hope this helps...
L3-4 Tear Diag '03
IDET '04
SI Diag '04
Stenosis Diag '06
Bulging Disc L4-5 Diag '06
DDD L3-4 thru L5-S1 Diag '06
Laminectomy '06

Old 02-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #9
(male)

rachelmc HB User

hi rampage,
i had L4/L5 fused, went to the dr today and i have to go back next week to go on morphine?????? not sure if i like the sound of that.
thanks rachel.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:06 PM   #10

Flycatcher HB User

It sounds alot like the inflammation pain I went through after my fusion (L4-L5). I called my ortho and he gave me a Medrol (steroid) dosepack. It really did ease things off a good bit, it was still painful but more tolerable.
Jack

Old 02-10-2005, 07:02 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Rampage HB User

hi, rachelmc -

i think that's pretty likely the fusion is causing some sciatic pain. it's the right area. the question now is how long this is expected to last. hopefuly not long!

i agree with flycatcher - maybe a steroid shot would be a better bet. i'd ask the dr., given how strong morphine is (compared to the steroid injection). he/she may agree to that alternative.

i've actually refused narcotics (even with 5 years of pain) b/c of my fear of addiction. i know most would not agree with that! i just can't do that after going through withdrawal in the beginning of this journey.

keep us posted. you're in my thoughts.
L3-4 Tear Diag '03
IDET '04
SI Diag '04
Stenosis Diag '06
Bulging Disc L4-5 Diag '06
DDD L3-4 thru L5-S1 Diag '06
Laminectomy '06

Closed Thread